+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best thing for DHT blocking?

Hello all

I would think that this must be a really redundant post request, but I'm really ignorant to stuff like this.

Anyway, been using Rogain foam for about a year now and its my one and only form of treatment and have gotten some results but have been just reading on what role DHT plays in hair loss and was thinking of adding some type of blocker that I would take in pill form and was just wondering what was the best product to use?

Thanks for any help.

The one and only medication approved by the FDA for this purpose is Propecia (1mg Finasteride).

Some men will get a prescription for generic Proscar (5mg Finasteride) and cut the pills into four pieces to make their daily dose.

Some men try Dutasteride, which also blocks DHT but it is not FDA approved for the treatment of hair loss.

Females should not take Finasteride or Dustasteride. There are other medications that may work for some women but none are FDA approved for the treatment of hair loss.

You need to talk to your doctor about Propecia, generic Finasteride or Dutasteride.

Thanks for the reply Tracy and sorry for such a ignorant question but do I need to have a prescription to get either the 1 or 5 mg Finasteride?

Also if not, do you know of any good/proper brands/sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland21 View Post
    ...but do I need to have a prescription to get either the 1 or 5 mg Finasteride?
    If you are the U.S., yes. I am sure a prescription is required in most other countries as well. You need to talk to your doctor about it. Make sure you understand everything about the medication before you decide if it is right for you.

Propecia is pretty expensive. Generic 5mg Finasteride is a lot less expensive and it is the exact same medication. The only thing is you need to split the pill into four pieces. This makes a 1.25mg daily dose, which is close enough to the 1mg daily dose of Propecia. The extra .25mg per day is insignificant. The cost savings of using the generic medicine is significant.

Thanks Tracy, yes I am in the US.

Been meaning to go see my Doctor for a general checkup anyway so perhaps would be on the safe side to do that and make sure I have a clean bill, and then start the pills.

Thanks for the help

Actually one other thing I would like to ask, I see often that the 5mg generic that is usually cheaper is actually Proscar instead of Propecia.

Of course I would discuss this with my Doctor but from the research I have seen, even though it has the same main ingredient of Finasteride, I shouldn't take Proscar?

Which means I have to spend the more money for the Generic Propeica?

Which actually at least at rep online stores, isn't all that cheap.

Thanks Tracy, yes I am in the US.

Been meaning to go see my Doctor for a general checkup anyway so perhaps would be on the safe side to do that and make sure I have a clean bill, and then start the pills.

Thanks for the help

Actually one other thing I would like to ask, I see often that the 5mg generic that is usually cheaper is actually Proscar instead of Propecia.

Of course I would discuss this with my Doctor but from the research I have seen, even though it has the same main ingredient of Finasteride, I shouldn't take Proscar?

Which means I have to spend the more money for the Generic Propeica?

Which actually at least at rep online stores, isn't all that cheap.
    man never listen a women lol...honestly : dont even think to start eating fin all your life..anyway its your body , take care!!

The only difference between Propecia and Proscar is the size of the dose of Finasteride. Propecia is 1mg of Finasteride and Proscar is 5mg of Finasteride. This is why you would need to split the 5mg pill into four pieces. In addition to Proscar, generic Finasteride is also available in 5mg pills. This is what many men get, then they split the 5mg pill into four pieces to make their daily dose.

Yes do talk to your doctor about this. Please understand that I am not telling you to take it. I am simply answering your questions as honestly as I am able. I know it is not my place to tell you to take it. There is no harm in recommending you talk to your doctor about it.

There are horror stories about Finasteride. The validity of the frequency of those possible problems is questionable. I know many men who are taking Finasteride and have never had a problem with it. Actually, I don't know anyone in my corner of the world who has had a problem with it. So have a long talk with your doctor about it and make sure you understand everything about it before you decide if it is right for you.

Sorry double post's

Yeah will get to this after the holiday.

Just to mention it in case some of these stories of the effects have anything to do with this, I am 47 1/2 years old, and have never used any kind of prescription medications of and regular type like this and have been in grade A health all my life.

So if the stories of what side effects this has, has anything to do with taking it for many years from when you are young, I don't think that would apply to me.

Also for the side effects of possible demised you the know what, to be honest and not to sound like a bragger but I actually could use a little calming in that area.

Also for what its worth, I don't decide nor care who it is that gives me advice based upon if it is a woman or not, so not looking to offend or agree with anyone on either side of the fence here but so long as its good advice, who cares who it comes from?

But in getting back the the other topic, yeah Tracy its a bit hard to learn about this stuff but I think if I have this right, there is:

Propecia = 1gm Finasteride

Generic Finasteride = 5gm Finasteride

Proscar = 5gm Finasteride

And essentially, they are all three different products if I am correct, IE the Generic Finasteride is a 5gm tab, and so it Proscar, but they are not the same. And typically the Generic Finasteride is quite cheaper even if they even call it Proscar?

Btw kinda got the confusion the most in the first place from DrugStore.com as they are calling their cheaper Generic Finasteride Proscar and have it under that name but then grouping it in a separate category as the Generic with a much cheaper price.

Anyway, just kinda mentioning this stuff along with the few questions, but please consider me the least knowable person here about any of this.

Anyway, I guess my main concern is I don't want to get a prescription from the Doctor that is for something very expensive if that is not what I need as I would assume if I got one for Proscar, I could not make the Pharmacist, give me Generic Finasteride, and visa versa.

Anyway, thanks for all the help from everyone, and happy holidays.

Kinkland,

Have you ever listened to The Bald Truth talk show? I don't know when it is on but they post links to it here sometimes.

I think you would benefit a lot from listening to it. There is a lot of guy talk going on but they do share good information on there. The last one that was posted here talked a lot about the benefits and possible side effects.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-los...-truth-112711/