+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default PFS... post finasteride syndrome

I just read an alarming article on menshealth.com about finasteride and its side effects. It appears that even if only a small percentage face permanent side effects it is concluded that PFS is real. I'm sharing this for people like me who are on the fence about taking the drug. And for people suffering from the side effects of propecia i would recommend some sort of hormone replacement therapy. Meaning get on the juice ! I seriously dont see any other option for getting back what you've lost. This is such bullshit ! the one thing that works could ultimately destroy what you are trying to gain as far as sex and relationships. I'm 22 so i cant imagine living the rest of my life without busting a satisfying load lmao. you just have to laugh i guess.

dude i rather remove all my remaining hair via laser then eating that crap , trust me pfs are for real ..
    take care!!

Even if PFS was not actually real (who am I to say it is or isn't), I wouldn't be happy taking a systemic drug for the rest of my life. Sucks we have no better solution.

I've been on Propecia for over a year and have never experienced any sexual side effects. My sex drive is as intense as it has ever been. I'm not saying PFS isn't real but for me at least, I've not had a single issue.

ive been on it for about 4 or 5 months and I havent had any problems.. Though my hair doesnt seem to be doing a darned thing, at least I can say it isnt really falling out any more.

But I read this article, or bits and pieces of it. This article just cites that same Dr. Irwig study (like all other articles that say PFS is real) but it still has not yet been proven beyond a doubt yet, has it? Just because Mens Health published it, doesnt really say much.

I asked my doctor about it and since he has so many younger adult patients, propecia is very popular. Since I was concerned, hes done some asking around and research himself, and he told me he feels propecia is very safe, and that these PFS claims are unfounded. He also told me he feels more comfortable prescribing propecia than an antidepressant, and I trust him so im not at all worried. I think its always best to talk to your doctor, someone who really understands all this stuff, and take their word for it. I don't let people on the internet and magazine articles run my life, but maybe thats just me!

some people smoke a pack a day for 50 years and never have an issue, but many do have complications. i know that a bit extreme but damn its not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Pitt View Post
    some people smoke a pack a day for 50 years and never have an issue, but many do have complications. i know that a bit extreme but damn its not worth the risk.

What might be helpful is for men to get blood work done before they consider Propecia. It would also be good to know the physical condition of the men experiencing side effect, both before taking Propecia, during and after discontinuation of use.

Some of these men might have other health issues, such as obesity, high blood pressure or smoking, that cause or contribute to their sexual dysfunction. Propecia might be the cause all by itself in many cases or it could be the final nudge that pushes an already out of whack body towards dysfunction.

mack thats a nice theory and all, but when it comes to the endocrine system and hormonal imbalances its either heads or tails. im not saying some other factors cant contribute to the PFS but its obvious that finasteride is the main culprit. I cant believe spencer promotes propecia so heavily and belittles the symptoms that many are experiencing. It weakens my trust of Mr. kobren...

I've got mixed feelings about this thread. I do believe that Propecia could have some side effects (hell, I'm experiencing some myself) since it drastically lowers a chief male hormone in the body. That's one of the reasons that I'm so against hair transplants; if I was to get one, then I'd be indebted to taking Propecia for the rest of my life, and frankly, I don't think I can do that. They say that the side effects of Propecia are only experienced by 2-3 percent of the population but I don't buy that for a second. That statistic is just as blatantly false as Johnson & Johnson's claim that Rogaine regrows hair in 85% of people who take it.
    The good news is that I don't think that Propecia causes any permanent damage. I believe that the shelf-life for the drug (how long it stays in the body) is maybe a couple of days and then your body works to regulate itself and to bring a person's DHT levels back up to normal.
    That being said, I really wish that I didn't have to take this drug. I believe I'm experiencing side effects, but I'm also scared to death of going bald. It's just absolutely pitiful that we have such utterly shitty and limited options to treat hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I've got mixed feelings about this thread. I do believe that Propecia could have some side effects (hell, I'm experiencing some myself) since it drastically lowers a chief male hormone in the body. That's one of the reasons that I'm so against hair transplants; if I was to get one, then I'd be indebted to taking Propecia for the rest of my life, and frankly, I don't think I can do that. They say that the side effects of Propecia are only experienced by 2-3 percent of the population but I don't buy that for a second. That statistic is just as blatantly false as Johnson & Johnson's claim that Rogaine regrows hair in 85% of people who take it.
    The good news is that I don't think that Propecia causes any permanent damage. I believe that the shelf-life for the drug (how long it stays in the body) is maybe a couple of days and then your body works to regulate itself and to bring a person's DHT levels back up to normal.
    That being said, I really wish that I didn't have to take this drug. I believe I'm experiencing side effects, but I'm also scared to death of going bald. It's just absolutely pitiful that we have such utterly shitty and limited options to treat hair loss.

No theory there, just suggestions on how to isolate the problem. What is crucial is to find the underlying cause of these problems and why they occur to only a small segment of users. It is clear that there is something unique about these individuals that causes them to have side effects while others do not. By identifying these variations a doctor can be better equipped to decide who should and should not be taking Propecia.