+ Reply to Thread

Default Severe diffuse thinning at 19. Desperate for some advice.

Hi everyone, I'm almost shaking while typing this out and pretty scared of what may be happening but I feel I need somewhere to turn for some real brutally honest answers. I am 19 and in the past 6 months or so have noticed a very severe thinning of the hair the top of my scalp. I have been incredibly stressed out this past year but from what I have read my loss seems more like classic MBP than stress related hairloss. It isn't too obvious when dry because some of my hair is thick and coarse but when my hair is wet it almost makes me sick. Another thing is I don't really know my family history of hair loss so I am basically going into all this blind. I have lived with my adoptive parents since I left foster care when I was 8 years old. I haven't seen my parents since I was about 6 and have never met my biological grandparents.

Also I feel I need to be completely honest, I also have a history of suffering from O.C.D and B.D.D (body dysmorphic disorder) since I was about 13 but I strongly believe this is not just in my head, even though my talk therapist swears that it is all in my head. I even went to my dermatologist a few weeks back and while he did say I may be thinning on top a little he refused to prescribe me any meds or treatment yet because of my mental history, which is the same reason he wouldn't prescribe me accutane a few years back. He told me to wait it out a little to see how it progresses but I don't want to lose valuable time. I am debating just taking matters into my own hands and ordering some fin or dut online.

Below are links to an album of various shots of my head with dry hair, wet hair, combed forward, combed back and a youtube video also. I realize this is a lot to look at but I greatly, greatly appreciate any help I may get more than you will ever know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqaZ3pB26GU
    http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/...nto/?start=all

Thanks again.

Your hair does not look bad at all when it's wet or dry. Don't stress so much man, if you think you're losing hair start using Nizoral A-D. But if your Derma doesn't think it's a good idea to take meds then I would listen to him. I don't see why Propecia would affect your mentality but he's the doctor, not me. The most important part is to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonInToronto View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm almost shaking while typing this out and pretty scared of what may be happening but I feel I need somewhere to turn for some real brutally honest answers. I am 19 and in the past 6 months or so have noticed a very severe thinning of the hair the top of my scalp. I have been incredibly stressed out this past year but from what I have read my loss seems more like classic MBP than stress related hairloss. It isn't too obvious when dry because some of my hair is thick and coarse but when my hair is wet it almost makes me sick. Another thing is I don't really know my family history of hair loss so I am basically going into all this blind. I have lived with my adoptive parents since I left foster care when I was 8 years old. I haven't seen my parents since I was about 6 and have never met my biological grandparents.

Also I feel I need to be completely honest, I also have a history of suffering from O.C.D and B.D.D (body dysmorphic disorder) since I was about 13 but I strongly believe this is not just in my head, even though my talk therapist swears that it is all in my head. I even went to my dermatologist a few weeks back and while he did say I may be thinning on top a little he refused to prescribe me any meds or treatment yet because of my mental history, which is the same reason he wouldn't prescribe me accutane a few years back. He told me to wait it out a little to see how it progresses but I don't want to lose valuable time. I am debating just taking matters into my own hands and ordering some fin or dut online.

Below are links to an album of various shots of my head with dry hair, wet hair, combed forward, combed back and a youtube video also. I realize this is a lot to look at but I greatly, greatly appreciate any help I may get more than you will ever know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqaZ3pB26GU
    http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/...nto/?start=all

Thanks again.
    haha wow your situation could not be anymore similar to mine, except mine may bit a tiny bit worse now. Read my first few threads, I started thinning in Jan this year at 19, really hit me in june when i freaked out and couldnt sleep for like 3 days and now Im 20 (from T.O. too) . My hair looks pretty normal like yours unless it wet or in direct light.

Honestly man, it could be mpb for you as it is for me either way were our hair is thinning. For me stress also triggered my hair to thin which began in Sept of 2010 and 5 months later i noticed it for the first time. In Canada we can get 2% minoxidil over the counter and 5% prescribed . In the states you can get 5% over the counter so that is what the majority of people here use that. You should obviously see a dermatologist or doctor first that specializes in hair loss but i am sure they will recommend it too. I am awaiting my prescription from my doc then gonna use that. A lot of people our age on here use it and it works from everyone in their late teens early 20s that ive read about. Problem is minoxidil will only work for so long but once you start it, continue to take it its not something you can stop cause you WILL lose everything you gained. Also go to Shoppers and pick up 2% Nizoral shampoo i use it on mondays and thursdays and leave it on for 5mins in the shower each time. Its extremely important to use in my opinion. Also whatever you do, dont stress it will make it worse.

I use the following;

-Nizoral 2% - mondays and thursdays
    -Biotin (300mcg) - two per day
    -Organika Saw Palmetto - two per day
    -Head and shoulders Zinc shampoo and conditioner
    -Aloe vera and vitamin e oil mixed together on scalp before my night shower for 20 mins a day
    -Emu oil - i rub it into my hairline every night since June
    -Awaiting my 5% minoxidil prescription (this is the key thing that could bring thickness back)

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonInToronto View Post
    He told me to wait it out a little to see how it progresses but I don't want to lose valuable time. I am debating just taking matters into my own hands and ordering some fin or dut online.
    I think your doctor is right. If you do chose to order meds from the grey market, don't get Dutasteride. I hope you chose not to get anything from the grey market though.

Your hair really isn't that bad. Stress certainly can be what is actually triggering what is going on up there. I don't think you need to bother with pills or Minoxidil. I do think you would benefit from using Nizoral shampoo once or twice per week. Just make sure not to use it more often than that. Over using Nizoral can make hair loss worse. Also, make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

I also think you might benefit from using a laser comb. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to tell if it will improve your hair is to try it for about four months. If it does, great. If it doesn't send it back for a refund.

The key thing you need to do is to get your stress under control. Stress can make your hair fall out. Stressing out over the possibility of losing your hair can make your hair fall out even more. It's a downward spiral, so you've got to get that under control. Focus your attention on doing the things you love to do.

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    haha wow your situation could not be anymore similar to mine, except mine may bit a tiny bit worse now. Read my first few threads, I started thinning in Jan this year at 19, really hit me in june when i freaked out and couldnt sleep for like 3 days and now Im 20 (from T.O. too) . My hair looks pretty normal like yours unless it wet or in direct light.

Honestly man, it could be mpb for you as it is for me either way were our hair is thinning. For me stress also triggered my hair to thin which began in Sept of 2010 and 5 months later i noticed it for the first time. In Canada we can get 2% minoxidil over the counter and 5% prescribed . In the states you can get 5% over the counter so that is what the majority of people here use that. You should obviously see a dermatologist or doctor first that specializes in hair loss but i am sure they will recommend it too. I am awaiting my prescription from my doc then gonna use that. A lot of people our age on here use it and it works from everyone in their late teens early 20s that ive read about. Problem is minoxidil will only work for so long but once you start it, continue to take it its not something you can stop cause you WILL lose everything you gained. Also go to Shoppers and pick up 2% Nizoral shampoo i use it on mondays and thursdays and leave it on for 5mins in the shower each time. Its extremely important to use in my opinion. Also whatever you do, dont stress it will make it worse.

I use the following;

-Nizoral 2% - mondays and thursdays
    -Biotin (300mcg) - two per day
    -Organika Saw Palmetto - two per day
    -Head and shoulders Zinc shampoo and conditioner
    -Aloe vera and vitamin e oil mixed together on scalp before my night shower for 20 mins a day
    -Emu oil - i rub it into my hairline every night since June
    -Awaiting my 5% minoxidil prescription (this is the key thing that could bring thickness back)
    Couldn't you just get the kirkland 5% minoxidil shipped to Canada? or do they not allow shipping to Canada?

^ I dont think they allow shipping to Canada. If i got someone from the states to send me it personally then that would probably be the only way it would work

Thanks for the help everyone, I really do appreciate it. I will pick up some Nizoral and look into the 5% Min also. Also to address one question, I think the reason my derm doesn't want to prescribe me any medication is because he has seen me come in for various checkups, treatments and medications throughout the years in which I admittedly probably did not need (accutane for mild acne, laser treatment for barely visible skintags, etc.) But this issue has been weighing on me much more heavily than the other problems I had. I may go to another derm who doesn't know my mental history for an unbiased second opinion though. Also I don't really know how to relieve myself from stress, I have always been an extremely anxious person. Even exercising and doing things I enjoy hasn't really been able to take my mind off this lately. I just really hope my loss isn't too aggressive, at 19 I feel like I have a ton of problems other people my age don't and this will just exacerbate things much, much worse.