+ Reply to Thread

Default Hi all - my story - advice welcome

I'd been unhappy with my hair for a while but always thought it was just the barbers not quite getting it right etc. But I've now come to the realisation, unfortunately that my hair has thinned quite a lot in the front and this is the reason why itnever seems quite right.

Quite upset about it TBH as it's only compounding a range of other insecurities I have, but I've gotta focus on moving forward.

Here's me:

and trying a new style to disguise a bit:

Would love some feedback on my plans to 'fix' this:

1) Grow hair longer and style something like the following (swept forward - fashionably though!) to try and hide this thinning

2) Get on the Propecia oncehair is longer & newly styled - the theory being that any shedding from the Propecia will be hidden by this new style (the horror stories of shedding scare me a lot but Propecia sounds like the only way forward TBH)

3) Get a small FUE transplant (500 grafts?) to increase thickness at front. Not overly bothered about moving hairline / temples forward but just getting this thickness back. Hopefully I can do this without shaving head.

Would love to get anyones feedback / thoughts on my plan!

Cheers

Hi, Nickky

Maybe you could style your hair in a swept forward way, but I'd ask your barber if they think that longer style would work for you.

You look like you'd benefit from using toppik. It's a temporary product the hair fibers can help thinning areas look fully covered. You'd be able to achieve the spiked up hairstyle you wanted with this. It could get it looking better for a night out, job interview or whatever. I believe it can also stay in for a couple of days then you can wash it out.

You should try Propecia if you want to maintain your hair. I've been on it just under two weeks myself. If you're lucky it might even thicken it up a bit.

A FUE for added density may not be a good idea at this stage, at the very least wait until you've stabilised your hair loss. You might want to try minox to see if that will help thicken the front up a bit.

It's still a NW2 shape, just thin at the front. Like you said, if you could thicken it up, you'd be golden.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nickky View Post
    3) Get a small FUE transplant (500 grafts?) to increase thickness at front...

Would love to get anyones feedback / thoughts on my plan!
    You have a lot of learning to do...

From the picture you have provided, you are not an appropriate candidate for hair transplant surgery. You could find yourself losing more hair to shock loss from the surgery than you will gain from the surgery.

When you have come to the point that you are serious about doing something about your hair loss, there are two very important questions you need to answer.

1) Can your hair loss be arrested?

2) Are you a good candidate for hair transplant surgery?

Take all the time you need to make sure you can answer both those questions. Do not rush into it.

What I see in the photo you have provided is possibly treatable with non-surgical treatments. Currently, the only products that work to treat hereditary hair loss are:

Rogaine - or generic Minoxidil.

Propecia - or generic Finasteride (for men)

Anti-androgens (for women)

Low level laser therapy

These treatments above do not work for everyone. Some people will get results from one or more of these treatments, while others will not get any results from any of these treatments.

If you decide to try treating your hair loss, you need to allow reasonable time to determine if those treatments are helping you. This is a full year. It takes a long time to treat hair loss. You may start seing some improvement in about four months, but it takes a full year before you will know how well you are responding to treatment.

You also need to understand about shedding. Shedding is a nesassary evil that is associated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. Shedding is an indication that treatment is working. The hairs in the follicles that have been damaged by DHT need to shed out of the way as those damaged follicles are returning to normal. How much you will shed depends on how many of your hair follicles have been damaged by DHT. The more damaged hair follicles you have, the more you will shed. The less damaged hair follicles you have, the less you will shed. Once those damaged hair follicles have returned to close to normal, the shedding stops and your hair grows back.

Thanks for the info. I've looked into 'shock loss' and you're right it sounds like it's not worth risking at my level.

Looks like I'll keep growing it to re-style (don't mind I need a change of hairstyle anyway!) then start of Minox & prop.

Quote Originally Posted by nickky View Post
    Looks like I'll keep growing it to re-style (don't mind I need a change of hairstyle anyway!) then start of Minox & prop.
    I think you would benefit form using Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. Just make sure not to use it more often than that. Also make sure you are using a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

I also think you might benefit from using a laser comb. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to tell if it will improve your hair is to try it for about four months. If it does, great. If it doesn't, send it back for a refund.

Eventually you will probably need to start taking something to reduce DHT. But you need to talk that over with your doctor.

All my best to you.