+ Reply to Thread

Default urgent advice needed

hi everyone,
    i'm so confused right now. Planning on getting transplant hopefully next month, at least i was. I sent pics of my donor region at the back of my head to the doc in thailand (dr prathomavinch) as i was worried about it thinning ( see my pics in my thread below). Doc said the donor area looks ok...there's a surgery slot open for late Jan which i will need to book by dec 6. ( i had an in person consult with him last feb and was told donor area was good.

I just today went to a clinic in seoul Korea where I live. I saw 2 doctors there. The first assistant doc said my donor area was 'thin but donor density relatively good" (isn't that a contradiction?)......he then said another assistant would measure my donor area with the telescope.....it wasn't measured, instead i then saw the head doctor who said my donor area was 'thin relative to other people's" !! and then said i wasn't a good candidate for a transplant. however, he did then go on about how he is only used to korean people's hair etc etc

just don't know what to do....the hairloss is killing me and it feels right to do something about it now, however, caution is telling me to get lots of consultations both in thailand with the clinic that i'm planning to do it at, and also in Uk (my native country). I'm on holiday for jan and feb and plan to go to thailand and uk anyway, regardless of whether i get transplant.

is the best thing to do to have my hair telescopically measured with a densitometer? can the results be interpreted differently or is there an industry standard in terms of what makes a result good or acceptable for treatment? e.g one doctor's 'acceptable' donor density for a patient may be another doctor's 'unacceptable' density.....

i've read posts on here of people having their trasplanted hair fall out or thin a few years post surgery, and this has partially been explained by the original donor hair being subject to DHT....if my donor is thinning even a little bit then there's presumably no point in having a transplant?

i've attached a link to a one min video of me brushing my hair at the back, can someone pls take a look and give their opinion on my donor area......

and also, has anyone had experience of being told by one surgeon that they are a good candidate for a transplant and then being told by another surgeon that they are not a good candidate...is a degree of variance in clinical diagnoses to be expected?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-mZaZq890

Quote Originally Posted by sapcote View Post
    ...and also, has anyone had experience of being told by one surgeon that they are a good candidate for a transplant and then being told by another surgeon that they are not a good candidate...
    This happens a lot. Sadly, many who are actually not good candidates are told that they are good candidates - only to find out later when it is too late that they actually were not good candidates.

I have said it before and I will say it as many times as needed to get the message across to you. It is best for you to determine if you can arrest your hair loss with non surgical treatments first. If you find that you can arrest your hair loss, then move forward to pursuing transplant surgery.

No matter how many times you ask for advise on this matter, the answer I am going to give you is going to be the same... Try treating your hair loss for at least two years before considering transplant surgery. During those two years, monitor your hair to try to determine if you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery.

Your anxiety over this is making you want to act quickly. This can lead you into making mistakes that you may regret for the rest of your life.

There are two things you need to know:

1) can you arrest your hair loss?
    2) Are you a good candidate for transplant surgery?

Take all the time you need to find the answers to those two questions before moving forward with transplant surgery.