+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hair loss at 18

Default hair loss at 18

Hi guys, stranger321 here

My life has turned from something so awesome to a living hell hole. I started to bald when i was 16 and now, its just getting worse and worse. Around 17 i started going to a homepathy doctor in the hopes that this damn problem would reverse but i am thinking i have been just dealt fake dreams. Some days it looks like my hair is growing and some days it looks like my hair is falling out in clumps ( i put my hand through my hair and get like 5 or 6 hairs). when i was in high school, i knew a couple of idiots who liked to point out the obvious and i was very low on self esteem then. Now i am in university at the age of 18 and i am too scared to talk to anyone about it. All my friends and people younger and older than me still seem to have there hair with no spots. I am just the odd one out. Because of this problem, i can't think straight, i am so down on self esteem. sometimes i just want to run away somewhere far away from people and live alone. I personally feel i don't look attractive and with this crap happening its even harder for me. Everyone i approach seems to play the friend card on me. None of my friends are there to tell me how to deal with my hair loss. They all just brush it off as stupidity but then also point it out. What do i do. Exams are coming and no matter how much of a good day i have, when i come home after a productive day and look at the mirror, i see my wonky looking head. I have contacted a dermatologist but i am pretty sure i am going to have half the hair i have now by the time i get to them ( January 18) i just feel like dying. i just will it would stop. its bad enough that i am 18 and i have about half the hair i used to have. no one seems to care, i dont know what to do. i am only 18, who is ever going to see past the exterior and look at me and like me for the person i am, much less the girl i like. I don't know what to do. I just want it to stop or i just don't want to exist.

Hey man, I know it's hard to be positive but you have to try to be. I started thinning when I was about 18 and now I'm almost 21. I just recently started treatment, and I'm trying to worry less and look at hair loss from another perspective.

If I were you I would:
    1. Go to a Dermatologist to make sure there aren't any hidden reasons why you're losing your hair.
    2. Immediately start using Nizoral A-D Shampoo
    3. You might even want to start using Minoxidil (Rogaine)
    4. If your Derma suggests that it's alright; start using Propecia.

If you have any questions regarding anything I've said, please feel free to ask. I know how hard it is to lose hair at a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger321 View Post
    I don't know what to do.
    The first thing you need to do is to get a hold of yourself. Stressing out over the possibility of hair loss can make your hair fall out. It is entirely possibly that your worrying so much about it is actually making it worse.

It is completely normal for humans to shed up to 100 hairs per day. Some days you may shed more. Some days you may shed less. There is also such a thing as seasonal shedding in humans. So don't count hairs. Doing so can give you a false sense of dread - and that can drive you crazy.

January is not that far away. Focus your energies in learning how to take proper care of your hair (most males actually don't). Focus on taking good care of your body. The more you know, the more you will be able to help yourself.

I do think starting to use Nizoral A-D in place of your regular shampoo once or twice per week is a good idea. However, I do not think it is a good idea for you to start medications until after your dermatologist examines you and gives you his or her advise.

hey,

its nice to know i am not the only person balding at 18. See back when i was around 17 my family doctor prescribed me the spraying version of Rogaine. I dont know i was very inconsistent with it and i eventually stopped. I have book an appointment for january 2012. what i am really afraid of is if its hereditary. LIke i am the only person this young in my family to lose hair like this so its scary. If you dont mind me asking, how is your hair loss progressing at 21 and what do you do to stay postive and take on the world? because frankly i feel really depressed and dead at the moment.

See back when i was around 17 my family doctor prescribed me the spraying version of Rogaine.
    Now that I know a previous doctor had already recommended Rogaine, you should go back to using it - and be consistent about it. If you are not going to be consistent about using it, you are not going to gain any benefit from it.

I recommend using Rogaine foam in the morning because it is stealthy and generic Liquid Minoxidil in the evening because it is less expensive.

I still recommend using Nizoral A-D shampoo twice per week in place of your regular shampoo. You should make sure that your regular shampoo is very gentle on your hair. You should also be using a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

Get yourself a natural boar bristle hair brush and gently massage your scalp before you apply your evening dose of Minoxidil. Do not brush hard. It should feel calming and comfortable. If it doesn't, you are brushing too hard.

Hang in there. I know it's tough dealing with. Check this link it A IAHRS recommended doctor. It is the benefits you can receive with medication.
    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...atient-photos/
    If your doctor does put you on propecia(finasteride) see if you can get finasteride in 5mg and cut it into quarters. It only cost me under $3 a month.
    Best wishes!

hey,

its nice to know i am not the only person balding at 18. See back when i was around 17 my family doctor prescribed me the spraying version of Rogaine. I dont know i was very inconsistent with it and i eventually stopped. I have book an appointment for january 2012. what i am really afraid of is if its hereditary. LIke i am the only person this young in my family to lose hair like this so its scary. If you dont mind me asking, how is your hair loss progressing at 21 and what do you do to stay postive and take on the world? because frankly i feel really depressed and dead at the moment.
    Sometimes 3-4 days ago by before I stress out about my hair loss. Sometimes I go days on end worrying, making sure my hair looks okay and that there isn't a patch of hair that has strayed causing a seemingly small bald spot. It's all about staying positive, and doing the best you can to battle it. Once I started taking steps to reduce/halt the rate of hair loss, I felt a lot better about myself.

Everyone has their days when they feel down in the dumps man. It's just about pulling yourself together and not let something as small as losing hair control how you live your life.