+ Reply to Thread

Default New to the threads and need some help

Not Sure how to start...background history? well I had really long hair (past shoulder length) at the beginning of this year (Ive had long hair for at least 5 years) and my hair looked great but in august I decided i wanted short hair so I cut my hair to around 1 inch off my scalp, and i have naturally red hair that i dye about every 2 months this time i decided to bleach my entire head and dye it to get a better color, so I did and then my dad and mom tried to tell me im going bald, and since then Ive been freaked out. when you look at my hair you can see my scalp but im not bald at all and its only from where my hair line starts to where my crown ends not the sides or the back, I Was told since im a red head i have naturally thin hair since most redheads have less hair things(as in where they grow i don't know the name i think it starts with an "f") is this true? i was also told it was because I bleached the roots of my hair, could this also be true?? when my hair was long you couldn't notice it one bit my hair lines not residing, BUT my dad IS bald from the front to the crown and he said he started losing his hair at 17 and lost it all before he was 25. could this be happening to me? i just turned 20 in September also i have a blonde strip down the side of my head and if I Separate it you can see my hair has grown a good inch-inch in a half from where the red starts to where the blonde starts

sorry if such a long post just trying to give as much info as I can.

Redheads do have lower density (fewer follicles) on average than people with brown or blonde hair.

What your parents noticed could be just a result of the change in length and colour of your hair. What colour did you dye it after bleaching? I'm guessing a darker colour. If your hair is darker than before then the contrast between hair and scalp will be greater, making the skin more visible. Combine that with the short haircut and the difference might be noticeable.

Is your hair also very straight?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I dyed it dark brown, with a stripe of blonde. now that I think about it where the blonde strip is you cant see my scalp like where the brown is and yes my hair is super straight, so straight it sticks straight up and its around 2 inches long

That's what I thought. As the hair is very straight and sticks straight up, light can easier penetrate down to the scalp. When light reaches the scalp, you see the scalp. Combine that with the darker, shorter hair and you have a situation where your scalp will show much more than it used to.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Yea that makes sense, thanks for the info

since my dad is bald do i have a good chance that I will also go bald?
    Ive had people tell me I would have a better chance if balding ran on my mothers side

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Redheads do have lower density (fewer follicles) on average than people with brown or blonde hair.
    My sister and I are also redheads. We have both been told the same thing. My hair has been turning mostly blonde over these past fews years though. I don't know why that is happening but my sister's hair is doing the same thing. Neither of us are going grey, just blonde. I'm not complaining about it mind you, but I am curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    My sister and I are also redheads. We have both been told the same thing. My hair has been turning mostly blonde over these past fews years though. I don't know why that is happening but my sister's hair is doing the same thing. Neither of us are going grey, just blonde. I'm not complaining about it mind you, but I am curious about it.
    ive heard since we're redheads over time we go from red to blonde to white, which im ok with as long as i have hair=)