+ Reply to Thread

Default Buzzed hair....did I just screw myself over?

OK, I'm 26, and have had an advanced receding hairline for years. It started to develop around 18, but has generally remained the same since 21. Really, I have an island patch of hair in the front of my head (as you will see in the pics). I have blended the "canal" between the island and the rest of my hair for the most part since college, but just left the temples exposed.

I have never been a huge fan of my hairline, but never lost sleep over it either. Well, I started playing with combing over my temples in the past few months, and one windy day realized how ridiculous it looked. I read how many with receding hairlines do buzz/shave, and look better because of it. So, last week I thought "heck with it, why not?", and had my head buzzed #1 guard all over. Well....I think I may have made a mistake.

Now, the "island patch" is showing in full force. I think the buzz would have looked fine if it was connected, but the island catches my eye every time I look in the mirror. I'm thinking about growing it back again, but realize it will be probably be 2 months minimum before the "island" blends in again.

How bad does this look? Do you think it will be fine to grow it out again, or does it just look so bad that I should consider just shaving all together now? I want my hair back! But, as a young single guy, I don't want to look hideous for 2 months. I want to remain at least reasonably attractive to ladies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 3.jpg

Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	12430   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 2.jpg

Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	12431   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair 1.JPG

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	12432  

It looks fine
    If I saw you on street I wouldn't think anyhting negatively of your hair or you
    We are our own worst critics
    I think it would probably look worse if you grew it out because then you would be trying to hide your hair loss and besides not to scare you or anything but the patch of hair in the middle is probably goign to go anyhow
    Now you fessed up and accepted it ..whihc I should have doen 10 or so yrs ago
    Keep it short all the time
    Here is a site that has pictures of men with thinnign hair and some possible haircuts that would suit them
    http://haircutsformen.org/buzz/pages/cutsthinning.htm

Quote Originally Posted by islanddude View Post
    Now, the "island patch" is showing in full force. I think the buzz would have looked fine if it was connected,
    Forgeot to metnion " if it was connected " ..it will never be connected just keep it buzzed and it will be fine . Don't let the patch grow long and everything else short
    Good luck

Keep it short man. you did not screw yourself. the more you lose (eventually it will be more unless propecia is working for you) you will at least look better groomed and like you give a crapola how you look. I look much better after having finally jettisoned the "fluffy fringe" and will not be going back to that (much better relative to the fringe ... I am no Brad Pitt mind you).

Anywho, stick with this look. Apparently something real is coming down the pike.

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback...I actually wasn't expecting guys to say it looks fine. It really was encouraging! I guess we really are our harshest critics. Also, Dave, thanks for the hairstyles site. I was surprised to see a few guys there rocking the "island patch" as well...I couldn't find ANYONE on Google with the same hairstyle. Probably added to the anxiety.

It was surprising how much buzzing my head freaked me out. I was very paranoid about it...so much that I very much agonized about showing up to work. I came to work, and got a variety of responses. Some just commented "Oh, wow, what made you decide to do that?", but many did compliment it (but kind of like they were just trying to be nice). I did get a few responses like "I feel like this goes well with your face", "you look a little younger", and the best was when one girl my age who I work with (who I consider very attractive) got a big grin and said she liked it. I guess everyone will feel differently.

That girl's comment was a nice confidence boost. I just want to know I can approach a pretty girl in her 20's with confidence in my appearance!

By the way, here is a shot of my old haircut (before I did the "combover" over the temples). I usually didn't let it get this long (especially on the sides and back), but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	headshot 2.jpg

Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	12479  

In my opinion I would take it shorter, not necessarily with a razor but "balding" trimmers. I have the opposite problem of you receded heavily in the front but still connected with average density, thinning in the back to the point where you can see some scalp. i shave with a 1 on the sides and a 2 on top. shaving my hair short makes me feel like i have a grip on the situation. good luck with everything man.

Default looks good

Looks good, I think. Attitudes are changing about male pattern baldness. Why do you think Jason Statham can get away with being an obviously balding movie star? I say keep it like this or even buzz it down a notch further.