+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Taking the propecia plunge

Hi guys

A brief introduction, my name is Joe and I'm 22. I've never had particularly thick hair but for the past 6months I've noticed the hair on the top of my head and at the front, getting thinner and thinner and it doesn't help that I have straight hair so you can see my scalp relatively easily. Recently I have decided to cut my hair short, like a number 2/3 and when I first did this I obviously got a few remarks from my colleagues (although I thought shorter hair didn't look too bad on me!) I still have a pretty good hairline.

Now after doing a lot of online research I've decided to keep my current hair (or at least reduce the loss rate) the best/only drug is propecia. I'm well aware of the possible side effects but I try not to dwell on them because that could bring on psychological side effects. I have ordered a 6 month supply of fin and am planning to start off on 0.5mg a day. See how I get on, with it.

Just a couple of quick questions, will 0.5mg be enough? and will fin be good for my thinning hair, given that I have caught it relatively early? I know no-one can say for sure, but from your past experiences.

I shall keep you posted on my progress once it arrives

JPM

Default Hi

hi man i have ordered 6 month of propecia too and will also take .5mg, i have caught it early just like you, only have receding at the temples BIG RECEDING. but hair is falling all over the place.

im not sure about .5mg efficiency but i think its good idea if we try .5mg and see if our body can tolerate it. lets keep in contact since we'll start this journey together ; ).

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    hi man i have ordered 6 month of propecia too and will also take .5mg, i have caught it early just like you, only have receding at the temples BIG RECEDING. but hair is falling all over the place.

im not sure about .5mg efficiency but i think its good idea if we try .5mg and see if our body can tolerate it. lets keep in contact since we'll start this journey together ; ).
    Good idea Mine should be here in the next day or so.

I don't have much receeding, my hairline is the same as it was when I was 17/18 but its the thinning thats hit me quite hard recently.

I'm going 0.5mg because I've been reading that there is much less chance of side effects but is pretty much just as effective as 1mg....not to mention cheaper!! Can always bump up to 1mg at a later date.

Good luck man and stay in contact.

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    Good idea Mine should be here in the next day or so.

I don't have much receeding, my hairline is the same as it was when I was 17/18 but its the thinning thats hit me quite hard recently.

I'm going 0.5mg because I've been reading that there is much less chance of side effects but is pretty much just as effective as 1mg....not to mention cheaper!! Can always bump up to 1mg at a later date.

Good luck man and stay in contact.
    Yeah my front hairline is the same as when i was 8 years old but my temples are like as big as cratters....lets do this together and see if catching it this early can help maintain early hair loss with just .5mg . I have no thining yet but definitely too much hair is falling....even lands on my mouth sometimes lol.

im going to try rogaine too...ive seen a dude doing both and he looked like chewbacca after 4 months, his temples were amazing. i dont know if it was this forums or hairloss forums but he was asian.

but then again i dont know which rogaine is good...

if you still have a complete good hairline maybe you were on a diet or didnt eat too well months ago and now is showing up as all over hair loss...thats very common man...find out for sure.

Default taking the plunge

Sooooo....I've been following your thread JPM, and I think I will take the plunge with you guys. I am 27 and I have been balding since I was 23 I think. I haven't really noticed much thinnage in the crown, but my temples have receded to a point that I am no longer comfortable with. As a result I keep my hair longer than I used to, however, I feel like if I don't do something now, there will be little hair left to keep long.

Anyway, I've been lurking on this site for 2 years or so, and I think what you guys are doing is the motivation I needed. Im pretty confident that most side effects are psychological with a small percentage of legitimate ones, but obviously its kept me from starting earlier. So if you guys don't mind, I would like to keep in contact with both of you.

Maradona, what would you say you are on the NW scale? I lol'd when you said hair would sometimes land in your mouth. This has happened to me a time or two. I laugh now, but when it happens, its a devastating reminder of things to come.

quick question....where did you guys order from? I saw a dermatologist, and she proscribed me propecia, that was a year ago. It was $85 for a month supply but I was still on the fence of whether to do it or not. Just curious if you guys know a cheaper place to buy?

If you go to propecia's main webpage, they can give you a loyalty discount for the first year. It can reduce your annual cost by $260.

Also ask your doctor about Proscar, which is the 5mg version of finasteride. Many people use a pill breaker to make it into 1mg.

Good luck! I've been on propecia for almost 2 weeks and am seeing amazing results already

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Yeah my front hairline is the same as when i was 8 years old but my temples are like as big as cratters....lets do this together and see if catching it this early can help maintain early hair loss with just .5mg . I have no thining yet but definitely too much hair is falling....even lands on my mouth sometimes lol.

im going to try rogaine too...ive seen a dude doing both and he looked like chewbacca after 4 months, his temples were amazing. i dont know if it was this forums or hairloss forums but he was asian.

but then again i dont know which rogaine is good...

if you still have a complete good hairline maybe you were on a diet or didnt eat too well months ago and now is showing up as all over hair loss...thats very common man...find out for sure.
    Yeah my hairline isn't straight. but its not changed since I was 17 from photos I've been looking at. It maybe a diet thing and I have had quiet bad dandruff/flaky oily scalp until I got on the nizoral a couple of weeks ago. However, hoping that it isn't MPB may just be me trying to be optimistic. My hair has been falling out quite a lot for the past 3/4 months at a pretty fast rate.

I may contemplate visiting a derm, but it can take months of waiting on the NHS.

I didn't out rogaine in my routine because it seems too much hassle at the moment (applying it 2x a day) but I may move on to it if the fin isn't very effective.

just popped my first 0.5mg today

Quote Originally Posted by DotheDewNorwood2 View Post
    Sooooo....I've been following your thread JPM, and I think I will take the plunge with you guys. I am 27 and I have been balding since I was 23 I think. I haven't really noticed much thinnage in the crown, but my temples have receded to a point that I am no longer comfortable with. As a result I keep my hair longer than I used to, however, I feel like if I don't do something now, there will be little hair left to keep long.

Anyway, I've been lurking on this site for 2 years or so, and I think what you guys are doing is the motivation I needed. Im pretty confident that most side effects are psychological with a small percentage of legitimate ones, but obviously its kept me from starting earlier. So if you guys don't mind, I would like to keep in contact with both of you.

Maradona, what would you say you are on the NW scale? I lol'd when you said hair would sometimes land in your mouth. This has happened to me a time or two. I laugh now, but when it happens, its a devastating reminder of things to come.

quick question....where did you guys order from? I saw a dermatologist, and she proscribed me propecia, that was a year ago. It was $85 for a month supply but I was still on the fence of whether to do it or not. Just curious if you guys know a cheaper place to buy?

i may be norwood 3 but the front hairline is norwood 1 i think, so its like a huge V shape...i order from 4rx.com, its cheap and some guy took the pills and tested for authenticity.

we should just be able to hold our bald heads...less bald till 2015.

cure is close i think.

hopefully .5mg can do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    just popped my first 0.5mg today
    damn man really wish you good luck...i havent visited a doctor either.

so the deal is if we get side effects we stop the drug immediately right?