+ Reply to Thread

Default An introduction and a question.

Hi, I'm close to 30 and I'm receding for 9 years now. But before getting to the specifics I would like -first- to say that I've had been bodybuilding and I had been experimenting with various "hormonal balancing" concoctions in the past.

In short I screwed with my hormones and it kicked back I almost immediately stopped without much/any long term effects... The reason I'm writing this is because I want it to serve as a preface for what I am going to say next. That is: in none of the last 9 years have I used finasteride. I do know that it is a DHT blocker which has minimal to no effects to most people but since my last "accident" I'm rather weary at experimenting with my hormones (I prefer to lose my hair over having any other unalterable condition).

Now back to the specifics of my hair loss: For the last 9 years I've used minoxidil with various levels of success. As -I'm sure- you know, minoxidil is more akin to a cosmetic enhancement than an actual drug and has little to do with -trully- battling MPB.

Which drove me to this day, where I'm standing between baldness and merely being "receding". After 9 years of "sustained aggressiveness" my MBP almost decimated my hairline, left me with half my hairs (maybe less) and altered my characteristics more than any plastic surgery or mere aging would. I'm sure more of you have been through this.

The reason I'm here is news of a new generation of treatements. In fact before reading about those I had -almost completely- lost hope. Which brings me to my question:

If indeed such new drugs are waiting at the door would it be good (for me) to finally be hooked on finasteride (as a bridge) until those treatments come? I certainly won't let myself remain on any hormone "altering" drug for more than a relatively brief passage of time, and I wouldn't like to be convinced otherwise (I have already been burned).

What I do want to know is/that if we're indeed close to such treatments which would *actually* make taking finasteride realistic to me (since it would be only for a while). If so would you think that it's too late (or not) to start finasteride (I think I'm a Norwood 3, dashing towards '4")?

Thanks for your attention, and also sorry for my bad English for I do not speak the language natively.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty81 View Post
    ...minoxidil is more akin to a cosmetic enhancement than an actual drug and has little to do with -trully- battling MPB.
    Minoxidil is a growth stimulant. Minoxidil is a drug. Minoxidil is not a cosmetic enhancement. Minoxidil's ability to battle hair loss in males is limited if a male does nothing to reduce DHT. Without reducing DHT, Minoxidil is fighting a losing battle.

I do believe we will see better treatments for male and female hair loss in the not so distant future. These better treatments will not be medications but minimally invasive cell based regenerative treatments that make hair grow back and may immunize hair follicles from the effects of DHT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Minoxidil is a drug
    That's why I wrote "more akin to a cosmetic" (because it's effect is rather limited).

I do believe we will see better treatments for male and female hair loss in the not so distant future. These better treatments will not be medications but minimally invasive cell based regenerative treatments that make hair grow back and may immunize hair follicles from the effects of DHT.
    Yes I'm hearing about such treatments (for example stem cell multiplication) for about a decade now. The question is how close are we trully to them. For example are there countries where such treatments are even taking place, are they about to go through clinical trials? etc.

I'm asking because if I'm to get myself into a DHT blocker I want to know for how much would I have to remain on it, before going onto the next generation of treatment (the less amount of time -on it- the best it would be).

It's effect is limited? What kind of miracle are you looking for? There has been studies where minoxidil recovers over 50-60% of your original hair for people that went completely bald.

Even these new cellular growth therapies through induction of damage to cell lines in your hair, will probably not give you that 20's hair look that everyone covets. Stem-cell therapies, which is different, to be quite honest are not looking that promising as of yet, there are so many restrictions/protocols that stem cell has to go through comparatively to other drug types, that it takes much longer for it to get approved. Closest option we have currently is PRP, which I have heard give some results.

When you were taking those hormone "concoctions", were they under the eyes of a doctor? I am guessing your talking about steroids, which most body builders buy off the internet and inject without thinking. Your looking at two different types of hormone therapies that effect your hormones differently. Don't compare and be frightened because you had a bad experience with an off-market drug.