+ Reply to Thread

Default New here and need advice about hair transplant consutation

Hi everybody, I’m new here and wanted to say that I love this forum! I’ve been reading non stop for two days. I recently had a consultation with one of the doctors on the IAHRS. He seems to have a great reputation and is recommended by Spencer Kobren and The American Hair loss Association, so I know he’s one of the best. My problem is that I wasn't’ too impressed with his bedside manner. I felt that he was curt with me and maybe a little too blunt, which took me off guard. On one hand I want to know the truth about my options but on the other I felt uncomfortable with his matter of fact attitude about my issue and what he belived he could do for me. I’d prefer not to mention his name in case I decide to go with him, but I was wondering if I might just be too sensitive and should not worry so much about his bedside manner and concentrate on the results he seems to give his patients.

Any advice would be much approached.

Thanks!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

First of all, I think you are doing the right thing by looking around and doing your due diligence. I always encourage patients to look around before making a decision on which surgeon they should have perform the surgery on them. I believe that if a patient were to have 8 consultations, They would most likely eliminate 5 for various reasons without even thinking about it. That would leave 3 possibilities. Hopefully the remaining choices all perform a similar technique and have shown you good results from prior patients. At that point you will need to use a gut feeling about which physician you connected with and will be there for you when needed. Either way do not make any quick decisions and I am sure you will make a good choice. Good Luck!
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Winston--- first off, welcome! The HT consultation process can be a frantic and frustrating process. You get high pressure from some, non-caring attitude from some, run around from others, etc...

From experience I can tell you a couple of things:
    #1. Regardless of how "great" a doctor is, the fact is that sometimes a doctor and a patient do not connect. Sometimes it is the doctor, sometimes it is the potential patient--there is just a disconnect. This is 100% OK. I encourage you to share your feelings about your consult with this doctor--2 things happen--he/she accepts the criticism, explains his/her situation that day and attempts to make you comfortable with the approach OR, they shun your criticism/feedback and you move on and share your poor experience with everyone who asks.

#2. You will find a doctor that you will connect to. I researched over 100 clinics in 2004 to 2005---I viewed countless before and afters and spoke with many patients. By the time I narrowed my choices down to 3 doctors, it was simply which doctor I felt the most comfortable with. My choices were Dr. Wong, Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Konier. I really liked Dr. Konier, but it came down to Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Wong---I finally chose Dr. Shapiro because once I met him, I felt I had known him for 10 years. Once you narrow down clinics and the work is very close and always excellent, it comes down to connection with the doctor/representative, cost, availability, travel, and overall "feel"

#3. Even with everything I have said--A top clinic with a top doc who has a VISIBLE presence and reputation, will strive to do PERFECT work every time, regardless if there is no real connection---for them it is about the final result, the artistic approach and continued excellence---If you feel after all your research that this clinic is THE clinic, you should feel comfortable knowing you will get a great result---personality quirks notwithstanding.

Last thing, If you need help or advice, contact Spencer--contact a poster named Gillenator-- they are independent patient advocates who will give you some straight advice--maybe some alternative choices as well.

Good Luck!!!
    Jason

BTW-- Speaking of patient care and doctor accessibility--Dr. Charles has long been available to his patients almost 24 hours a day (I know he will get mad at me for saying this, but he deserves this)---His patient care is a GREAT example of caring about the PERSON, just as much as the result. If your a patient that wants a more personal relationship with your doctor, I encourage you to contact Dr. Charles.
    Last edited by the B spot; 03-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Hi everybody, I’m new here and wanted to say that I love this forum! I’ve been reading non stop for two days. I recently had a consultation with one of the doctors on the IAHRS. He seems to have a great reputation and is recommended by Spencer Kobren and The American Hair loss Association, so I know he’s one of the best. My problem is that I wasn't’ too impressed with his bedside manner. I felt that he was curt with me and maybe a little too blunt, which took me off guard. On one hand I want to know the truth about my options but on the other I felt uncomfortable with his matter of fact attitude about my issue and what he belived he could do for me. I’d prefer not to mention his name in case I decide to go with him, but I was wondering if I might just be too sensitive and should not worry so much about his bedside manner and concentrate on the results he seems to give his patients.

Any advice would be much approached.

Thanks!
    Winston - I think you have some good advice there from Dr. Charles and the B spot. I think it's important to feel comfortable and have good communication with the doctor you are going to choose to perform your surgery and I do think anyone considering surgery is best served by having consultations with multiple surgeons, after all this is your head. I also think some latitude should be provided for just having a a bad day which may be the reason why the doctor you saw was curt and blunt with you. I saw the same doctor ( not for hair) on two different days and got two different people. The first visit, I was put off thought he was rude but still effective in what I was seeking treatment for, and on my follow up it was like a totally different person. Not sure what was happening on the day (I was tempted to ask, but resisted the urge) of my first visit, but we are all human.

You are in a good place here and there some really helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum. I wish you the best of luck, although I think luck is improved upon by education and you are already doing that by being here.

Hi Everyone,thanks for all of your advice! It helps to know that it might not be me and that some doctors just don’t have the best bedside manner every single day. I also feel that it is important to feel comfortable and to connect with the person who I am trusting to surgically improve my appearance. I plan on having several consultations and I will give this one doctor another opportunity before I make my final decision. Thanks again for your help!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Default Choosing a surgeon

Winston- Your post, and the comments added, provide a lot of very valuable information. With so many surgeons recommended by these sites, you can take comfort in knowing that you will at least be treated by a respected surgeon, and that you have taken the first (and very important) step of due diligence. There are, however, subtle differences in how a surgeon does his work, and certainly you have the ability to see with your own eyes the subtle differences (i.e. denser vs. more feathered hairline; rounded vs. more receded hairline; angle of graft growth (I like to say that this can perhaps make the biggest difference between an excellent and truly outstanding hairline)) and use this to make your own mind as to what is the best choice for you.
    The ability of a surgeon to be able to communicate - and perhaps bond- with his patient is an added benefit- for it means that both you and he/she are understanding each other and therefore you will most likely each get what you want out the surgery- you get the hair transplant result you imagine, the surgeon gets a very happy patient!
    Kudos also to Dr. Charles - over the past 10 years, I have seen many patients that have come to me on his recommendation for a second opinion. This is testament to the confidence he has in his own abilities, but also to his integrity by making sure that the patient truly gets the best result no matter who performs the procedure.

Good luck, and you know that whomever you choose, both Dr. Charles and I, as well as many of the other surgeons, are always available to help you out.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Than you for writing Dr. Epstein. I’ve learned a great deal since I found this site and I’m thankful to everyone who has taken the time to write me.