+ Reply to Thread

Default Shock Loss In Donor Area...

Is it normal? I did 400 graft FUE in early November... and I'm starting to notice little quarter shaped spots in the back of my head. I have NEVER dealt with any hair loss in the back of my head. I have never dealt with hair loss, period. (I did the FUE to fix a hairline that I had since birth, that I didn't like.)

I'm hoping the bald spots are not a result of too much hairs taken from one place? And if it's shock loss in the donor site, how long will it take to grow back? The spots are completely bald. No stubble or anything.

I checked your post history and you went to a good doctor, so I doubt if they would've taken the grafts from within too small an area. Especially with such a small procedure.

Donor shockloss can occur. As you apparently aren't suffering from male pattern baldness I would imagine that your donor area hairs are in good shape, so you have the best chance of seeing that hair return.

The spots do sound like they're quite large though, but that doesn't mean that you have something serious going on that your hair won't recover from. Best thing is to speak to your surgeon or their staff.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirst17 View Post
    Is it normal?
    It happens sometimes.

As I understand it there is no way to predict if shock loss will happen - and very little could be done to prevent it from happening if it could be predicted. As you may remember, I had a lot of shock loss. Most of it was in the area the grafts were transplanted into but some of it was in the donor area along the strip incision. Fortunately my shock loss has resolved.

Thank you guys for the responses.
    I think I'm in just in a "shock" (no pun intended) myself... as I never dealt with seeing a bald spot on my head. It's a very scary thing. The doctor I went to is amazing. I just... I'm just uneasy - But I'm trying my best to just breathe and remain calm. I'm looking at worse case scenarios and just trying to be grateful.

I will be going in with the doctor next week though, to look further into it. I usually don't let things happen, I take action and don't let up.

Tracy, how long did it take for you hair to grow back in the donor site? I have important functions coming up next year and I would be highly upset if I had to deal with this during those times...

I'm afraid to use Rogaine...
    Do you think using Rogaine for the bald donor spots could help?

I really hope that everything is cleared up soon...

Help!!!!!!!

Breath in... Breath out...

It takes time. It doesn't resolve overnight. It took about six months for mine to start resolving. By the end of the year it was mostly resolved. Though the hair in those areas is not as long as the rest of my hair. You probably don't have that problem though. So you should see it "blending in" much sooner than those of us who wear our hair long.

Thank you, Trace...

The doctor did tell me it won't fix overnight.
    And I think deep down, I know that. And I'm not stressing. I just have some real important engagements coming up in May and I want to look presentable by then.

I did the surgery in early November 2011. Hopefully, my hair starts growing back by May.