+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it MPB? 17 going on 18

This has been seriously stressing me as of late. I don't have any pics of my front hairline, but my friend said it was weird how it kind of cut in a little at the temples so I assumed it was receding there. Wasn't a huge deal though since it was pretty unnoticable, and I could just grow my hair to an acceptable length. But now I think my crown is thinning/losing hair too! It has me incredibly stressed as I'm already an incredibly insecure person about my looks

Here's some pictures for reference, I'm seeing a doctor next week :

that was wet though of course

maybe one too many pictures but whatever. Can't tell if the part is just naturally like that because the hairs gotten that long or what.. I guess I'd need a hair cut and make it a little shorter to see :/

I'm a bit nervous on the idea of Propecia if I have to too, as it seems the risks are real and permanent.. It's kind of a scary thought. Not really sure how to handle the situation but I guess the doctor will give me the best advice he can.. if this is even MPB at all really (yes there is balding on my DADS side of the family, as far as my grandfather is concerned at least. Still a bit unnerving to be suffering it so young though..)

Quote Originally Posted by guardhim View Post
    This has been seriously stressing me as of late.

...I'm seeing a doctor next week.
    Personally, I don't see a problem. However, if it is causing you serious stress, you need to find a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. Here is a list to help you find one.

http://www.iahrs.org/member/

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Personally, I don't see a problem. However, if it is causing you serious stress, you need to find a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. Here is a list to help you find one.

http://www.iahrs.org/member/
    you don't see a problem? Seems like a lot of scalp is showin around the crown then should be.. no?

To answer your question, does look like it's thinning a bit at the crown. I'm experiencing the a similar thinning. It probably looks worse in photos than it does to other people. You could consider starting fin when you turn 18.

you don't see a problem?
    You need to see a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. Stressing out over hair loss can make your hair fall out.

Till then there are some things you can do. Start taking extraordinarily good care of your hair from now on. Never be harsh with your hair. Never scrub it when you are washing it, massage your scalp gently with the tips of your fingers. When you dry your hair, don't rub vigorously with the towel. Pat your hair dry with the towel. Use your fingers to gently detangle your hair. Never force a comb through your hair to detangle it. Your hair is most vulnerable to pulling out when it is wet.

Start using Nizoral A-D shampoo once or twice per week, but no more than that. Also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

You are currently too young for medications to manage thinning hair. I have had good experience with my laser comb. Maybe you will see appreciable improvement from using one as well. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to find out if it will improve your hair is to try it.

Another very important yet often overlooked factor is your overall health. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water, get plenty of exercise and get plenty of sleep. Poor nutrition, stress and lack of sleep can all contribute to hair loss.

It does look like a bit more scalp is showing than would be with 100% of original density. It's hard to say for certain, though, as hair density varies between people with some having hair that is naturally thin.

You're young but not the youngest person to ever experience hairloss. Generally if the process begins at a younger age, there's a higher potential for it to progress to a higher level, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the future is bleak for your hair. Some guys make it right through their twenties with only minimal loss, even without treatments. However, I would take the advice already given regarding Propecia, as treatments do give you a better chance of halting further loss.

You should definitely seek to be examined by an expert first though, as I don't believe anyone can say for certain that you are experiencing male pattern hairloss just from the photos you've provided.

Take comfort in the fact that even experienced guys on here are having trouble giving you are solid yes or no answer. That means it isn't very bad!
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for the replies. I don't drink enough water and my nutrition hasn't been great as of late, so it's possible these are contributing factors that I should start fixing. I'll give an update after seeing the doctor or an expert or whatever I guess.

Thanks again for the insight, I think I'll look into the shampoo for sure.. as for laser comb, not sure if its that expensive but I hear you get a 90 day money back guarantee on it so it might be worth a shot. I just hope I won't have to resort to Propecia as researching on it it makes me a little bit hesitant in having to use it..

.. as for laser comb, not sure if its that expensive but I hear you get a 90 day money back guarantee on it so it might be worth a shot.
    Thats not right. It should be a 20 week money back guarantee. It takes about four months to see improvement. 90 days is not long enough to know if it is going to help you or not. Are you sure you are checking on the same device I am talking about?

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

I just hope I won't have to resort to Propecia as researching on it it makes me a little bit hesitant in having to use it..
    You are much too young to be thinking about Propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Thats not right. It should be a 20 week money back guarantee. It takes about four months to see improvement. 90 days is not long enough to know if it is going to help you or not. Are you sure you are checking on the same device I am talking about?

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ax-laser-comb/

You are much too young to be thinking about Propecia.
    What age is acceptable to use Propecia then? I've read threads of many young men on here using finn (which is Propecia correct?) to maintain their hair as young as 19-22

I've read threads of many young men on here using finn (which is Propecia correct?)...
    Propecia is 1mg Finasteride. I have a very hard time believing Finasteride would be appropriate for any teenage male. I'm not a doctor though.