+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just created this email address to post here, send me an email.

rae_info@yahoo.com

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

In my vast experience treating hair loss in women, the FUE technique is inferior to that of strip, both in terms of how the donor area is handled, as well as the results that can be achieved in the areas of thinning. Yes, if done improperly, you can look worse than before. I say you meet with a highly respected hair transplant surgeon who can give you reliable and trustworthy advice. I am also happy to evaluate any photos you send to me. Best of luck.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Work up your hair loss properly. Confirm a diagnosis that will respond to surgical solutions. As recommended, try non-surgical solutions first.

i think treating hair loss in females can be difficult simply because the hair loss is progressive over time. As you continue to loose hair, you need more grafts. From the perspective of treating anyone with hair loss, it is always easier to please someone who has already lost their hair than it is to please someone who is in the process of loosing hair.

With women it can be frustrating simply because you are probably going to loose more hair over time and need more transplants. Over time as you add more hair to the top, you move more and more from the back. Hopefully your donor area will be able to keep up with your hair loss over time, but there is no guarantee of this. Still my experience with women over time is that they will be very happy getting a regular top up procedure. It just seems to make women feel better even when there is very little left to graft from a donor area. It's surprising how even 100 grafts can brighten the day of many women.

I think most females are generally comfortable doing a strip procedure, but some are not. Doing an FUE procedure on a female can be tricky simply because you need to keep the hair long. Not all physicians are comfortable doing this. Make sure your physician is comfortable leaving the hair long and has experience doing this sort of FUE procedure. It can be very time consuming.

There are many physicians who feel their FUE results are not as good as their strip results. i would certainly steer clear of these physicians for FUE. For FUE you need to choose someone who feels their FUE results are at least equal if not superior to their strip results. Why anyone who feels their FUE results are not as good as their strip results would even offer FUE is beyond me. I've discovered that many physicians who say their FUE results are not as good as their strip results do not perform the surgery in their office. They allow non-physicians to do the surgery.

The neograft is a relatively new piece of equipment. Just make sure that the physician who is using it has a good bit of experience with it and that they have plenty of results. There are also many physicians who allow laymen to cut the grafts with the neograft. It may be that the laymen are better than the physician, but I think this can be a dangerous situation. Just do your homework.

Now the skinny comparing FUE to strip procedures. There are several studies that show FUE results are just as good as strip results. As with any procedure, you can occasionally get results from either strip or FUE that do not meet the expectations of the physician or the patient. It's hard to blame the procedure when this happens provided that it was done well. FUE grafts should be cut by the physician and in my experience FUE grafts offer patients far more hair with each graft than you can get doing a strip procedure. What this means is that with FUE you can get better coverage from fewer grafts provided the procedure is done properly.

I've done over 8000 strip procedures and well over 3500 FUE procedures. In my personal experience FUE produces a superior result to strip procedures. Of course in my office, i do my own surgery rather than delegating it to someone else.

Having said all this, i think you can reach a degree of happiness from either a strip or FUE. First, make sure you have a condition that is responsive to hair transplant surgery.

You could go for FUE treatment that will be quite good one they give an good result.

I have been doing hair transplantation for thirteen years and in the process, I also became the patient more than once. I have had the strip technique done on me and I have performed multitudes of strip techniques on others. I have also had the Artas technique done on me, and I have performed numerous Artas procedures on patients. Here are some reasons I prefer FUE by Artas over the strip method:
    1. The healing process for the donor site in the strip method is much longer than the Artas.
    2. The donor site pain after the strip procedure lasts about two weeks and can remain tender for about a month. Everytime you bend your neck forward, you will be reminded of the donor site for the first month. In contrast, the donor site of the Artas procedures is much less painful, needs no stitching, and by one month, the sites are hard to find even with the naked eye.
    3. About the quality of the grafts, I find the grafts very hardy and healthy when using the Artas.
    4. In the strip technique, a large sliver of skin is removed from the back of the scalp. The strip is sliced into individual grafts for placement. In this process, many grafts are damaged, bisected, or otherwise deemed as not usable. These will be discarded. This is a big waist and those follicles are gone for good, and remember you only have a finite number of hair follicles. In contrast, if the Artas transcects any hair follicle, that is done upon punching the scalp, and the top of the follicle will be removed. However, the hair bulb (the areas important for hair regrowth) is still in your scalp and that hair will regrow. So with Artas, there is less permanent damage to the follicles.
    5. About regrowth of the follicles, once hair is removed in total, that hair follicle will not grow in the donor site. However the one millimeter punch used to extract the hairs leaves such a small hole that once healed it is not detectable by the naked eye.
    I hope my opinion helped.
    best wishes

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Over the past 2 years, after specializing in surgical hair restoration since 1994 - the majority of the time performing follicular unit grafting- FUE has now become the most frequent hair restoration procedure we perform. What is important is not what device is used to extract the device, for they all have their role, but the quality of the grafts, then how the recipient sites are then created which is the key aesthetic step. In our office, we use our own custom-designed drill with 0.8 and 0.9mm punches, achieving the most viable best grafts.
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

I agree with Dr. Epstein's latest post above.

1. The healing process for the donor site in the strip method is much longer than the Artas.
    Or FUE in general. ARTAS is irrelevant.

2. The donor site pain after the strip procedure lasts about two weeks and can remain tender for about a month. Everytime you bend your neck forward, you will be reminded of the donor site for the first month. In contrast, the donor site of the Artas procedures is much less painful, needs no stitching, and by one month, the sites are hard to find even with the naked eye.
    Or FUE in general. ARTAS is irrelevant.

3. About the quality of the grafts, I find the grafts very hardy and healthy when using the Artas.
    But compared to strip?

4. In the strip technique, a large sliver of skin is removed from the back of the scalp. The strip is sliced into individual grafts for placement. In this process, many grafts are damaged, bisected, or otherwise deemed as not usable. These will be discarded. This is a big waist and those follicles are gone for good, and remember you only have a finite number of hair follicles.
    You're doing it wrong.

In contrast, if the Artas transcects any hair follicle, that is done upon punching the scalp, and the top of the follicle will be removed. However, the hair bulb (the areas important for hair regrowth) is still in your scalp and that hair will regrow. So with Artas, there is less permanent damage to the follicles.
    Unmitigated bullsh*t. I hope you don't tell your patients this.

However the one millimeter punch used to extract the hairs leaves such a small hole that once healed it is not detectable by the naked eye.
    You can't guarantee this as there are too many factors to consider.

It is this type of blanket misinformation that leads to uninformed patients being unhappy. If you wish to promote ARTAS do so on the merits it possesses that separate it from other forms of FUE, not FUSS.
    Joe Tillman
    The original Hair Transplant Mentor

Interested to know which doctors I recommend?
    See the full list at HairTransplantMentor.com/hair-transplant-doctors

There a a vast difference between those who actually perform a procedure and those who either don't perform procedures or they depend on others to perform the procedure. It's like feeling your graft implantation is good when you have never really done it yourself or feeling that the grafts you dissect from strips are good when you have never dissected the grafts from strips. I think that rarely performing these procedures leaves you in no better position to have an opinion.

Artas has major flaws. I do not think it should be used by anyone at this point. The reasons are simple. The transection rate is high. Approximately 26% of the grafts go missing and no one can explain where they go. The procedure is quite slow. Too many grafts are harvested right next to one another leaving empty holes. The machine creates large wounds and we don't always need large wounds to extract healthy grafts. The machine harvests too deep making more invasive. The machine has a difficult time extracting from the sides of the scalp and the nape of the neck.

Many physicians charge for the graft attempts rather than the number of grafts placed with the Artas. Make sure you know what they are going to do prior to sitting in the chair.

I know you cannot expect all cases to do well with only one or two punches. I actually do my surgeries. That's why I know what I'm talking about.

The main difference between the FUE hair transplantation and strip surgery is in the way donor-hair is obtained. Generally FUE hair transplant gives greater customer satisfaction as well as recovery. So I will definitely go with FUE hair transplant.
    If you decided to go with FUE then back look of your head looks like a Natural and in case of strip surgery it looks like a Scarring. However FUE surgery is much more expensive than the strip surgery.