+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do hair follicles die?

I was listening to The Bald Truth today and heard a comment that hair follicles do not die. I had read long ago that hair follicles miniaturize until they become dormant. Then after they are dormant for an undetermined number of years, they die. So I was surprised to hear that comment. Could one of the doctors chime in and confirm whether hair follicles actually die or not?

I think there is a lot of controversy surrounding the question of whether or not hair follicles eventually die, to be honest, I think it may depend on the type of alopecia as well. I think for most people they do not die but rather lie dormant under the skin, also you'd be surprised on how many hairs the human eye may not be able to see but under microscope many people who appear very bald may have as many hairs on their head as a person with a full head of hair but because the diameter or the hairs decrease when hair thins it appears as though they have less hair on their head. That is why I feel like Histogen could potentially be a "silver bullet" as many people would say because if it has the ability to not only awaken some follicles but re-thicken follicles with one small injection, I feel like a larger dose or more injections (hopefully) should work for a compoundable result, keep your fingers crossed.

Inactive

I also have to agree, its high likely that its based on the form of alopecia, for example scarring alopecia vs normal alopecia.

But another thing which can kill follicles, are hair transplants

I am a little disappointed that none of the doctors chimed in to answer this one. Even if the answer is "we don't know", that would have been better than no answer at all.

I can't find the source now but I read that eventually the follicles do die because they become 're-absorbed' by body tissue regrowing through them.

But it seems this isn't for several years after they stop producing hair above the skin surface because they are still cycling beneath the skin. So just because a follicle isn't producing hair doesn't mean it's yet dead. It's only after they wind down and stop cycling completely that the body re-absorbs them.

I'd like to find a proper source for this claim but I haven't been able to find it because I don't think I'm using the right word in 're-absorbed.'

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    I also have to agree, its high likely that its based on the form of alopecia, for example scarring alopecia vs normal alopecia.

But another thing which can kill follicles, are hair transplants
    Very Good point Richard , after nine strips probably had more killed than grown ...

ejj

That's why I'd hold off on FUE until I see what Replicel or HST brings. I think if you transplant you'll never be able to bring back the old native follicles in the transplanted recipient. That's just a guess and what my intuition is telling me. I hope I'm wrong for those that have had HT.

Inactive

Just look at the user Chanceinamillion or how his name is, he has a slick bald top and hair is slowly coming back which is a clear indicator that hair loss is reversable

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I was listening to The Bald Truth today and heard a comment that hair follicles do not die. I had read long ago that hair follicles miniaturize until they become dormant. Then after they are dormant for an undetermined number of years, they die. So I was surprised to hear that comment. Could one of the doctors chime in and confirm whether hair follicles actually die or not?
    Great observation Tracy!
    I do not know the answer to this question.

You dont actually expect a Dr to say "we dont know" do you? They dont do that.