+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 26yrs old + Balding - What to do?

Hey guys,

I'm 26yrs old guy who's going been going bald for a couple years and has been reading these forums for a couple months.

I just got a short haircut the other day and really started to notice that I was losing a lot of hair (and fast) on my crown. Obviously, I've been aware of my general hair loss, but the bald-spot that I'm forming (crown) is quite large and discouraging.

My question is, what should I do? I haven't taken any medication or anything for my hair-loss yet even though I've noticed my hair thinning for about 4-5yrs now. Is there any hope? Is it worth trying Rogaine/medication or would I just be better off investing in getting a hair transplant? (FUE)

I posted some pics for you all to see. My apologies for the bad lighting. I also have a small bald-spot just behind my front hair-line due to a birthmark that I recently had removed. I think that bald-spot is the most visible in the 2nd pic. I've been trying to cover it up for my entire life and have done a pretty good job, but lately it has been getting tougher considering the fact my hair is thinning.

I've heard a few people recommending Rogaine. Not too sure how that would work, but I'm not too keen on going on other meds that have a risk of several side-effects. I've heard of the big-2 and big-3 - what do you guys recommend? Perhaps even just Rogaine + that Nizoral (sp?!?!) shampoo?

I'm quite torn on what to do, sometimes I think I should just give up and face reality that I'm losing my hair and I can't do much about it - and other times I really wish I could have a full head of hair again. I've read a bit about FUE surgeries, but I'm not sure if I would be a good candidate or approximately how much that would cost me. (I doubt I could afford it)

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00029.jpg

Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	12315   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00031.jpg

Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	12316   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00035.jpg

Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	12317   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00037.jpg

Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	12318   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00044.jpg

Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	12319   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111114-00049.jpg

Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	12320  

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Is there any hope? Is it worth trying Rogaine/medication or would I just be better off investing in getting a hair transplant? (FUE).
    Yes there is hope. If it bugs you it is worth trying. Concerning medications or suirgery, you will need to go on medications to arrest it anyways, so you might as well talk to a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss and start treating it with medications.

The products that work to treat hereditary hair loss are:

Rogaine - or generic Minoxidil.

Propecia - or generic Finasteride (for men)

Anti-androgens (for women)

Low level laser therapy

These treatments above do not work for everyone. Some people will get results from one or more of these treatments, while others will not get any results from any of these treatments. If I were you, I would talk to my doctor about Propecia (or generic Finasteride). Get Rogaine foam to use in the morning and generic men's 5% liquid Minoxidil to use in the evening. Give the laser comb a try. Get Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it as directed on the bottle (twice per week - and no more).

Be kind to your hair and take very good care of the hair you still have. It's really not that much trouble. Also take very good care of your body. Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, get plenty of exercise and get plenty of sleep.

Thanks for replying Tracy.

Couple questions - what is the difference between Rogaine foam and Generic Men's 5% liquid Minoxidil?

Also, is this Nizoral A-D Shampoo the anti-dandruff shampoo?

what is the difference between Rogaine foam and Generic Men's 5% liquid Minoxidil?
    Rogaine foam is 5% Minoxidil suspended is a mousse like foam. Generic Men's 5% liquid Minoxidil is 5% Minoxidil suspended in liquid. The medicine is the same, just the form is different. Rogaine foam is very stealthy but it is expensive. Liquid Minoxidil is not stealthy but it is inexpensive.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...-on-minoxidil/

is this Nizoral A-D Shampoo the anti-dandruff shampoo?
    Yes. Nizoral A-D is the non-prescription, over the counter strength version of Nizoral. Many, including me, use either Nizoral or Nizoral A-D shampoo in their treatment regimen. Nizoral helps your treatment regimen in a couple of ways, maybe three. First, its helps ensure your scalp is healthy. Second, it helps take care of any possible itching or irritation associated with treating hair loss. Third, the mild anti-androgenetic properties of the active ingredient might be able to block DHT at the scalp.

You're to young and have too much hair to consider a transplant at this point.

Your only real hope is meds-- specifically, Propecia and Rogaine.

However, please do your research-- meds are not a magic bullet and they carry their own risks in terms of side effects and other long term consequences.

Additionally, your hair loss in the short term might get much worse due to shedding, etc. This is often the case when first starting Propecia.

There are no easy answers for a young man in your situation. The best scenario is for you is that the meds stabilize your hair loss and thicken up the crown and bring your loss to a standstill for the next couple of years. All without any real side effects.

The question of course is will your own physiology permit this? Unknown. It's a gamble and you have to evaluate the risk/reward potential before moving ahead.

However, one thing is sure: IMHO, you are not a good candidate for any kind of hair transplant at this point.

Do your research, become informed, and make your decision-- and then be prepared to live and accept the consequences.

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    However, one thing is sure: IMHO, you are not a good candidate for any kind of hair transplant at this point.
    Agreed. Even if Mr. Bishop has only minimal response to one or more of the available treatments, he will be in good shape a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Rogaine foam is 5% Minoxidil suspended is a mousse like foam. Generic Men's 5% liquid Minoxidil is 5% Minoxidil suspended in liquid. The medicine is the same, just the form is different. Rogaine foam is very stealthy but it is expensive. Liquid Minoxidil is not stealthy but it is inexpensive.

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...ine-minoxidil/

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medi...-on-minoxidil/

Yes. Nizoral A-D is the non-prescription, over the counter strength version of Nizoral. Many, including me, use either Nizoral or Nizoral A-D shampoo in their treatment regimen. Nizoral helps your treatment regimen in a couple of ways, maybe three. First, its helps ensure your scalp is healthy. Second, it helps take care of any possible itching or irritation associated with treating hair loss. Third, the mild anti-androgenetic properties of the active ingredient might be able to block DHT at the scalp.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by hal View Post
    You're to young and have too much hair to consider a transplant at this point.

Your only real hope is meds-- specifically, Propecia and Rogaine.

However, please do your research-- meds are not a magic bullet and they carry their own risks in terms of side effects and other long term consequences.

Additionally, your hair loss in the short term might get much worse due to shedding, etc. This is often the case when first starting Propecia.

There are no easy answers for a young man in your situation. The best scenario is for you is that the meds stabilize your hair loss and thicken up the crown and bring your loss to a standstill for the next couple of years. All without any real side effects.

The question of course is will your own physiology permit this? Unknown. It's a gamble and you have to evaluate the risk/reward potential before moving ahead.

Do your research, become informed, and make your decision-- and then be prepared to live and accept the consequences.

Hal
    Well, from my research - and I haven't done a great deal - I've read that there aren't too many side-effects from Rogaine. Same can't seem to be said about Propecia (especially long term) - so, I don't think I'm going to try that. Instead, I think I might just try Rogaine + Nizoral shampoo as Tracy has been saying.

One question about your post though - why would I not be a good candidate for a hair-transplant at this point? I'm just curious. Is it because I could potentially still lose quite a bit of hair?

I think Age becomes a huge factor in hair transplants.

Also, getting a hair transplants will never achieve the look that you want. It's mostly for people with diffuse hair loss and balding areas.

One question about your post though - why would I not be a good candidate for a hair-transplant at this point? I'm just curious.
    Mostly, it is because your stage is mild and possibly treatable without surgery. Since you are catching it this early, you might be able to recover enough hair with medications alone to be happy. Surgery should always be a last resort. If after treating it for a year or so you are still not happy, then think about surgery.

If I were in your shoes, I would stick with medications and possibly laser therapy until we know if cell based treatments get FDA approval.

Is it because I could potentially still lose quite a bit of hair?
    If you do nothing to control DHT, you will likely continue to lose hair, even if you respond well to Minoxidil. Talk it over with the doctor.