+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post

One question about your post though - why would I not be a good candidate for a hair-transplant at this point? I'm just curious. Is it because I could potentially still lose quite a bit of hair?
    You're only 26 and I'm sorry to say you're probably going to loose a lot more hair.

You have a bald spot opening on the top of your head and in the next few years you're very likely to lose the central core moving forward from that area.

The hairline is very weak on either side of your front forelock. It looks like your brushing hair forward so its meeting up with the tuft up front.

More than likely you'll keep the tuft at the front of your forehead, but moving straight back will be bald. Set a baseball right behind that forelock and imagine everything in that radius being gone right back to the crown. I think that's what you're looking at.

If you get a transplant now you'll probably lose a lot of that central core due to shock loss and other factors. It may not come back if its dying as I suspect. The transplant may just be a trade off. But you'll have a scar and be out thousands of dollars and wondering where the big improvement is. You've got to save that donor area until you see where you're finally going to end up.

And even if that central core isn't really affected, you will still have to worry that it will one day thin out leaving behind the transplanted hair that may be a little thin without the native hair to blend everything in.

Sure a transplant might look good for a few years on you, but what happens 10, 15 years down the road? you end up with multiple procedures, scars, and chasing a hairline. Happens all the time with people in your situation.

And if you're thinking that you "can stay ahead of the game" by getting a transplant early, well, good luck with that one. These boards are filled with posters who have tried that particular strategy and now regret it keenly.

The reason I responded to your post is that your balding pattern resembles my own at that age. I'm 48 right now.

I just had a HT with Dr. Ron Shapiro 8 months ago. My hair right now looks a lot like your posted images save for a much stronger hairline.

The difference between us is that my hair is growing in and yours is falling out. I don't say this to be harsh, only to make you realize that you can't rush or force the process.

Meds are you best option at this point. If you can keep what you have and maybe gain some ground in the crown, you'll be doing fine.

I'd also look in to some thickeners, like Pro Thik and toppik. Those products do wonders for hair like yours.

Meds and cover products-- that's your battleground and solution for the next 5 to 10 years (barring some fantastic new treatment method).

Just one mans opinion.

Hal

Thanks Hal, I appreciate you writing that out. It always helps to hear from someone like yourself who is older and has already been through what I'm going through now.

Thanks for explaining everything about HTs. After reading that I don't think I'll be getting a HT anytime soon, perhaps ever. I figured I'd want it sooner than later for the hopes of not having people notice that I even had the procedure done in the first place. I'd also consider the FUE treatment which doesn't give you a scar. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, I feel that it's more so important to me now as a younger man, but I don't see myself wanting to do anything while I'm in my 40s, besides sticking to meds like Rogaine if they continue to work by then. (Probably not).

Thus, I'm thinking about going with Rogaine foam, Nizoral + perhaps even a thickener as you recommended - if anything at all.

I appreciate all your and Tracy's help in answering my questions and taking the time to explain certain things.

Have you tried shaving your hair and seeing what it looks like (if it looks ok)?

Often, if you have strong hairloss genes, then all the drugs in the world won't make a difference.

No, I haven't yet, but I think I won't have much of a choice but to do so soon. I'm just torn as to whether or not I should even go forward with Rogaine or anything else or just let it be. It's more or less just delaying the inevitable anyways, not to mention the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    No, I haven't yet, but I think I won't have much of a choice but to do so soon. I'm just torn as to whether or not I should even go forward with Rogaine or anything else or just let it be. It's more or less just delaying the inevitable anyways, not to mention the expense.
    It's always delaying the inevitable. It just matters in how long do you want to delay it.

If cost is an issue, there are programs out there that will help with reimbursement through loyalty programs. Also minoxidil is very cheap. Propecia's patent is about to expire next year so we can hope for true generics these coming years.

For me, it costs $18 for 3 months of monixidil (mind you it's actually a 6 month supply but I use a lot of it) and $60/per month for propecia. I am paying completely out of pocket, some people might get covered under their insurance.

Only you can make the decision of how you want to act. The results are out there and definitely worth pursuing in my strong opinion.