+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thank you, gillenator. I appreciate it.
    My father had the typical horse shoe baldness but it wasnt like those who barely have a couple of inches left at the back of their head. My uncles on my mother's side have thinning hair and receded hairlines but they don't have the typical horse shoe baldness and even the oldest uncle who's well into his 60's still isn't completely bald.
    I'm waiting for the result of my biopsy but don't know if it will help in figuring out what the problem is.

Hi Gillenator,

Great and informative post. Thanks. I bought the USB microscope for £40 from Maplins (UK gadget store), which is ~ $60 i guess. It's well worth the purchase, because you can monitor the miniaturization process and see if medications are working for you with great accuracy. You can also calculate density and so forth, so it's a great purchase for $60.

My father (65 years old) is an NW4, but his father and grandfather died in the their 70s with full heads of hair. My mother's brother also has a full head of hair. The real tragedy here is i didn't really need the HT for another 3-4 years. I've attached a picture of my hairline and crown pre-op, which was last April. I just had some very minor thinning at the frontal hairline. I thought, i'll start using Minoxidil to keep my existing hair and i'll get a HT so i can have thick hairs in my hairline, so i can do some styling. If i could only go back in time !!! I've lost so much hair since April (at least 35% density) and my hairline has been hit the worst, because i was thinning there anyway.

My HT surgeon told me at my pre-op consultation that my miniaturization wasn't too bad past the hairline, so he he decided to give me a thick extravagant hairline. He said i should start taking propecia/Minoxidil to prevent future loss. My consultation with him was 1 month before my op and i had told him that i started minoxidil 1 month beforehand (2 months before op). So he knew I had recently started minoxidil. I unfortunately had a huge shed between the 1 month of my consult and surgery. When i turned up for the surgery, he was amazed how much hair i had lost within that month. You're definitely right about not starting any medications before a HT. I didn't give the Rogaine enough time to see if it was working. I had to stop the rogaine, because i wasn't sure if i was having a bad reaction. I was just shedding so much hair, i had to stop. I didn't mention, but around September time, i stopped shedding hair for about 3 weeks. But i started using the laser comb and then started to shed again, so i stopped that also. I didn't realise the comb was also going to make me shed. I've just stopped everything for now, praying that i can get back to where i was before surgery. If my hair all grows back, i plan on using Rogaine and the laser comb again. I'm not willing to try propecia yet, due to the possible side effects, although i may try it in the future.

Gillenator, do you know of any info/research available online regarding donor hair survival once out of the scalp as a function of time ? I may arrange another consultation with ANY HT surgeon to ellaborate on this point. My donor hairs were definitely out of my scalp for 5-6 hours. It will be such a tragedy if this is the reason none of my transplanted hair grow.

FYI : Next week i'll be 8 months post-op and i cannot see A SINGLE transplanted hair in my hairline with my USB scope. I've had 0% growth. OUCH !!!

Thanks Gillenator. Good luck with the biopsy results VictimofDHT !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre treatment - Front.jpg

Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	12371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre treatment - Back.jpg

Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	12372  

Thanks, folly. Just this morning I got a call from the doctor and he told me the biopsy was negative or it didn't show anything, which I was expecting. So, I'm left with this puzzle now-what's happening to my hair. The doctor said there is a lot that remains unknown about why or what causes transplanted hairs to fall out in some people. So I don't know what to do now. He said I'd need at least 600 grafts to thicken my hairline -if I chose to get another HT- but I'm just terrified that I might lose a lot of those hairs too eventually, but at the same time I can't stand the look of my thinner hairline.

I think you made the same mistake I made- started HT way too early. My first one was 1000% unnecessary. My hair loss at that time wasn't even considered a loss but I was too terrified of baldness that I couldn't even bear the thought of losing 2 % of my hairline. I don't know but I feel an HT does cause some kind of damage to existing native hair and causes it to fall out faster than it would've without the HT.

I don't know that much about FUE process but I'd say 4 or 5 hours is too long for the grafts to be out. I'm sure you can find some info online or you can ask other doctors. My doctor says with FUEs the survival rate of grafts is much lower than that of FUTs and many grafts are lost. I just don't know if they're lost (damaged) during the surgery or are lost after they've been transplanted.

BTW, your hair doesn't look bad at all. You have more hair in front than I have now after 4500 grafts. I just hope I get some of the hair that was lost in the past few months in that massive shed I had. One thing I feel good about is that the shed has finally STOPPED as of 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's because I got back on Minoxidil (kirkland brand) after several months on some other useless crap that claimed 15% minoxidil content. Unfortunately, I too have lost about 25-30% of my hair during that short period.

Hey guys, check this link out. Apparently donor hair grafts can be left in the solutions for up to a day, without cell death. Read the second last paragraph. They extracted grafts from some guys donor area, then he was rushed to hospital due to an emergency. The grafts were left in a solution overnight and the grafts were placed in the recipient area the next day. This guy still had good growth according to the doc.

http://www.***************/hair-loss...ansplantation/

That's a bummer about the biopsy results VictimofDHT. At least your shed is over and those hairs you lost should be growing back. If the grafts are going through the normal minituarization process, i'm guessing you'll still have them for many more years before they dissapear (at least that's something ). Especially if you're taking propecia ?

My derm did a blood and hair pathology on me yesterday. Getting the results back on the 12th of this month. He says a biopsy is not needed yet. I'll let you know the outcome.

Sorry, not sure how you add URL links. Just search for 'The Best Graft Storage Solutions in Hair Transplantation' and it's the second link in google.

Sorry

Folly, in a couple of months it will a year since I had that massive shed that made my frontal area look much thinner and still no regrowth. I used to have hope that what I was experiencing was some "seasonal shedding" but it doesn't look like it. I don't think I'm ever going to see that hair come back again. If it was going to grow back it would've done so by now. And the misery goes on with considering yet another HT- my SIXTH. It would be better if god just takes my life and put me out of this misery.

Im sorry to hear of your situation Victim of DHT . Being a severe repair patient myself , I understand how you feel .

It would be nice to see some of these ` top ` docs help you out financially to rectify your situation , after all they were only to willing to take your money when you were far too young for a procedure , and too inexperienced to know any better

Be nice if some Drs stepped up to the plate to help the victims this industry has created with some repair work or compensation to help you move on with your life

all the best

ejj

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Thank you, gillenator. I appreciate it.
    My father had the typical horse shoe baldness but it wasnt like those who barely have a couple of inches left at the back of their head. My uncles on my mother's side have thinning hair and receded hairlines but they don't have the typical horse shoe baldness and even the oldest uncle who's well into his 60's still isn't completely bald.
    I'm waiting for the result of my biopsy but don't know if it will help in figuring out what the problem is.
    Victim,

You are very welcome and glad to be of any help. I see so many cases over the years that the toughest almost always have MPB from both sides. Sounds like your father did in fact reach class 6. I see I already repied to your comments on your biopsy results.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Im sorry to hear of your situation Victim of DHT . Being a severe repair patient myself , I understand how you feel .

It would be nice to see some of these ` top ` docs help you out financially to rectify your situation , after all they were only to willing to take your money when you were far too young for a procedure , and too inexperienced to know any better

Be nice if some Drs stepped up to the plate to help the victims this industry has created with some repair work or compensation to help you move on with your life

all the best

ejj
    Thanks, ejj. I appreciate it.

As for the doctors helping out. No way that will ever happen. The world we live in is a sad world where greed and the love of money are what drive most of us. I've heard of cases where HT patients didn't get any growth after the transplant and they still didn't get any refund even a partial one.
    It would be nice if people like me were charged a discounted price but no way that will ever happen in the world we live in.

Gillenator, thanks again.

Hi Guys,

Just got hair/blood pathology results back today from my dermatologist. The blood work was normal and i don't have telogen effluvium. Just an agressive case of MPB. 8% of my hairs in the donor region are in the shedding phase (10% is average), which is normal. However, on the top of my head, 60% of my hairs are in the shedding phase, which he said is very high. Because it's shedding agressively up top and not at the back, he says it's just MPB and not telogen effluvium. I guess 60% of the hairs shedding on the top of my head explains why i'm seeing so much hair loss in the shower/pillow. Doesn't explain why none of my transplanted grafts grew though.

I've started propecia today. I'm praying i have no side effects and it actually works, but who knows. I feel like everything is conspiring against me nowadays. I'm probably feeling sorry for myself, but does anyone else ever feel like they're just not meant to have a full head of hair ?