+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 years old with thin hair

Hi,

I just wanted to get some of your opinions and advice. I am a 22 year old male and over the past 6 months I have noticed my hair has become thinner all over. More noticeably on the top, but also down the sides and back. I don't mean the actual diameter of each hair strand but the the number of hairs per cm2. I have never had particularly thick hair but the thinner hair is noticeable.

My hairline has not receded at all from when I was about 16/17.

I have noticed that my scalp is quite flaky too and if I run my hand relatively vigorously over my scalp I lose about 6/7 hairs each time, but they almost all come out with a white bulb on the end and faded colour towards the bulb.

I've been aware that I may suffer from MPB at some point in my life, as my dad has been going bald since about 40, but he had thick hair and his hairline receded, the opposite to what mine is doing.

the only thing that has alarmed me is the rate of hair loss, this has occurred in about the last 6months!

Just wondering if this could be anything other than MPB and if there is any vitamins or supplements that can help with this kind of loss?

Thanks
    Joe

The first thing you need to do is consult a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss. You also want to start being kinder to your hair. Never run you hands vigorously through your hair. That is a very bad thing to do, even for those who are not suffering from hair loss.

It would be a good idea to get some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it in place of your regular shampoo every three or four days (basically twice per week). Also, make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The first thing you need to do is consult a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss. You also want to start being kinder to your hair. Never run you hands vigorously through your hair. That is a very bad thing to do, even for those who are not suffering from hair loss.

It would be a good idea to get some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it in place of your regular shampoo every three or four days (basically twice per week). Also, make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.
    I have got into a bad habit of rubbing my hair and then looking at the hair that comes out and thinking 'Oh my God!' need to snap out of that habit!!

I will buy a bottle of Nizoral A-D see how I get on...also notice my scalp is very oily and shiny... but my hair feels like straw!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpm View Post
    ...also notice my scalp is very oily and shiny... but my hair feels like straw!!
    Did I mention to make sure you start using a good quality moisturizing conditioner? You will want to condition almost every day.

Tracy, what brand of moisturizing conditioner would you recommend?

You can use whatever brand you like. If you have no favored brand, give Aveeno's "Nourish and Moisturize" products a try.

http://www.aveeno.com/hair-care/moisturize-conditioner

http://www.aveeno.com/hair-care/moisturize-shampoo

http://www.aveeno.com/hair-care/cond...e-in-treatment