+ Reply to Thread

Default Is this a good start out plan?

24 year old with typical MPB here. Although my hair might not look too bad for to the casual observer, it is thinning out some in the crown, vertex and across the top. Hairline and temples are not too bad, but I'd probably lose them eventually if I didn't treat them.

Finally sorted it out, I'm starting propecia next week, have an appointment will get a prescription and will start treatment.

I understand you can buy Rogaine/Min or Regaine as we know it in the UK over the counter, but I'm planning to give propecia at least 6 months before I add this, as I want to know what is working.

I may add Nizoral, my itch comes and goes.

Does this sound like a good plan for starters?

That sounds like a very sensible plan to me. You might as well give one treatment chance to work before adding the other.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
    Does this sound like a good plan for starters?
    If that is what you are comfortable with, it's a good plan for you. Personally, I would not care which treatment is working. I would attack the problem with everything available and appropriate for me.

According to the manufacturer, It takes 12 full months before you will know if Propecia (or generic Finasteride) is going to work for you. Six months is not long enough.

It takes four months before you will know if Rogaine/Regaine (or generic Minoxidil) is going to work for you, but a full year before you will know how well Minoxidil will work for you.

It takes four months before you will know if low level laser therapy will improve your hair, but a full year before you will know how much it will improve your hair.

The unfortunate truth is it takes a long time to treat hair loss. Time that is measured in months and years. Whatever you choose to do, you need to stick with it for at least a full year to determine if it works for you or not.

I do think using Nizoral A-D shampoo in place of your regular shampoo once or twice per week is a good idea.

I plan to stick with propecia in the long term. Hopefully it should help maintain and possibly improve the top and crown.

Anyway, I can only hope for the best.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It takes four months before you will know if Rogaine/Regaine (or generic Minoxidil) is going to work for you, but a full year before you will know how well Minoxidil will work for you.
    Unless your hair starts shedding a lot before then correct?

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    Unless your hair starts shedding a lot before then correct?
    I don't think when you shed is as much of an indicator as when the peach fuzz starts to grow. It takes about four months for Minoxidil to cause peach fuzz to start growing. It takes more hair cycles for the peach fuzz to begin transforming into something more like normal hair. So it takes about a year to know how well Minoxidil works for you... Have I mentioned that it takes a long time to treat hair loss? I read somewhere that the whole process of reversing follicle miniaturization takes between three to five years... I wish I could remember where I read that. Now that I have a reasonably good understanding of what’s happening, it makes sense.

It's unfortunate that Rogaine, Propecia, and Nizoral monopolize the discussion at a majority of these hair loss forums. It is not because they necessarily work, mind you. Just a decent advertising department. Though even with such resources, newbies will come to ask whether these drugs are "a good start," as if their success is contingent upon how much support they are able to garner.