+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I deal with MPB at 16, almost 17??

Hello ..
    I've had a very healthy hair life until 3-4 months ago when some friends noticed that my hair has become thin. I've lost a bit of hair and now its very thin on top. Doctor confirmed yesterday. I was torn apart. I was crying in the car for a while, though I usually don't cry.
    I've had very nice hair, and often considered it my best quality. Anyways, enough of the sad and depressing. I've given some blood for a testosterone and thyroid function test today in the morning, will get results in the evening.

Whatever the results, how do I deal with balding? Should I shave all the hair off? [see picture attached, would I look okay?]

I don't want to go for any pills/treatments that have serious side effects. There are some homeopathic treatments available, I'm not sure though, they seem fake.

I want to learn how to deal with it so it's the best for me in the long run, and will affect my life the least. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by reort View Post
    There are some homeopathic treatments available, I'm not sure though, they seem fake.(
    They are rip offs. The only products that work to treat hereditary hair loss are:

Rogaine - or generic Minoxidil.

Propecia - or generic Finasteride (for men)

Anti-androgens (for women)

Low level laser therapy

These treatments above do not work for everyone. Some people will get results from one or more of these treatments, while others will not get any results from any of these treatments. I am a firm believer in covering all the bases and attacking the problem with everything currently available and appropriate for you. I am not a believer in those over priced bottles of empty promises such as Revivogen, Nioxin, Provillus, Avacor, ScalpMED, TRX2, Promox, etc...

BTW, though that photo is of ridiculously poor quality, your hair looks fine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    BTW, though that photo is of ridiculously poor quality, your hair looks fine in it.
    I know, my hairline hasn't receeded much as far as I know. My hair has just thinned a fair bit on top. My scalp is visible in sunlight, and if its wet/oily.
    Its actually quite a recent photo.
    How would I look with it shaved off?

What type of MPB do you have in your family? Both Mom and Dad side.

That should give you a clearer picture to where you heading.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    What type of MPB do you have in your family? Both Mom and Dad side.

That should give you a clearer picture to where you heading.
    No one in my father's side is bald.
    My maternal grandfather is bald, but it started around 70 after some health problems. His hairline is receeded a bit with a big spot on the crown. He still has a few hair on top though.

My scalp is visible in sunlight, and if its wet/oily.
    Its actually quite a recent photo.
    I see. Your age presents a bit of a problem though because your development is not yet complete. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start using Nizoral A-D shampoo in place of your regular shampoo every three to four days (basically twice per week) but not more often than that. If you choose to give Nizoral A-D shampoo a try, make sure to also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps a lot of people, but it can dry your hair out, especially if you over use it.

I have had good experience with the laser comb. You might too, especially since your description indicates diffuse thinning. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. I feel it is worth giving it a try at least during the money back guarantee period. If it improves your hair, great. If it does nothing for you, take advantage of that money back guarantee and get your money back.

Lastly, do your best to take exceptionally good care of your hair. Be kind to your hair. Take exceptionally good care of your body as well. Feed it right, drink plenty of water, get plenty of exercise and get plenty of sleep. Stress, poor nutrition and lack of sleep can all contribute to hair loss.

Though you say your photo is recent, the quality of the photo is still of too poor to be useful.

How would I look with it shaved off?
    I have no idea.

That sucks your experiencing MPH at such a young age. I would not take any medications screwing with your hormones until 22-23 in my opinion.

Did you ask your doctor for treatment options? They would likely have more answers than anyone on these forums. Possibly do a full physical and check to see if there are any underlying diseases, especially with no history of MPH at such a young age. Usually MPH is associated with your maternal (mother) line. So ask your mom if she remembers anyone being bald.

Even Nizoral I would think would not be that beneficial for you, however it can help.

If the diagnose is true, I would cope with it and go bald in that scenario. There are other possibly treatment options in the future that are promising right now. Including inducing growth factors by damaging your outer tissues on your head. It's currently going into clinical trials, so the treatment may be out in 5-6 years. Stem cells are also close to being an option for mass marketing soon.

So possibly start Rogaine + Nizoral, and hope for future treatment options. Your not the only one, once you realize and open your eyes, you will see tons of people coping with MPH just like yourself.

Good Luck!

It just sounds too absurd! You are 16, no one in yor family (fathers side) is bald and no is, as well, bald on your mothers side, so to be honest the probability of it being MPB is just toooooo low! See a derm/doc. ASAP!