Hairloss...depression, loss of self-confidence - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Hairloss...depression, loss of self-confidence

Hey guys,
    Im 19 years old and live in Germany. My parents are originally from Turkey, but they moved here about 25 years ago.

I think it was about 1 year ago when my sister was playin with my hair.
    She said "wow are you balding? u've got some big temples there!"
    Actually I never really noticed it before and thought its normal. Maybe I was just happy at that time and not really worried. There was a girl..and we were really close to each other..well...I told her about my feelings..and got friendzoned. That was really hard for me, since I thought she would feel the same. I'm not that much into dating girls or stuff like that.. so I rarely find a girl that I really like (still virgin). Its not like that I couldnt have had any girls yet, but I am/wasnt really interested in those girls which are/were interested in me so far.
    Time passed and I continued my life. I'm a passionate skateboarder. Skateboarding is..was.. basically my life! I went skating almost every day...until I tore my ACL and my menisc (end of february). That day radically changed my life:
    I couldnt skate anymore, couldnt hang out and skate with my friends..and didnt really know what to do with my time. Its probably hard to understand for you, but I think that everyone has a hobby which he really really really loves...imagine that it is taken away from you from one day to another.
    I went through 2 surgeries and went through a hell lot of physical therapy, but I was still really depressed.

So one day I went to my barber and he cut my hair as he always used to do.
    I dont know if I wasnt really aware of it..or the tempels have become really bigger, but that was the first time I was worried about hairloss.
    I went home and washed my hair and noticed a really big amount of hair in the shower. I thought "thats probably just the cut hair".
    Next day.. the same, next day again.., next day..
    It really started worrying me.

So I went to a dermatologist and he pulled some of my hair out of my temples and took some blood. One week later he got the results and told me that everything was ok with my blood... but that my hair showed the signs of MPB. I thought WHAT? That cant be..nobody in my family has or had MPB with such a young age. My father is 46 and slowly starts losing his hair, all my uncles and even my brother..they all show absolutely no signs of hair loss.
    SO WHY ME?

I really got depressed. I mean really depressed. I didnt really eat. I couldnt really sleep. I would look at my hair and my temples almost 15 times a day using mirrors to look from different perspective. I started counting the hair which I lost when showering. I couldnt focus on anything and felt really socially isolated.My parents were really worried since I became really quiet (Im usually a person which talk and laughs a lot).

Hairloss basically ruled my life and I suffered a lot.

Now Ive started to pull myself out of this. I mean it doesnt help at all to be worried 24/7. I cant afford to buy regaine or propecia since Im a student, and actually Im really scared of the side effects. Im 19...if I start using propecia..how long am I supposed to take it? Until I'm 23,24..30..40!?
    That cant be a solution...I mean if you take propecia for such a big amount of time, it should be only a matter of time to get the side effects.

So I think the only solution for me is..acceptance. But that is easier said than done..

I think that I'm at Norwood 2-3 (dont really get the difference) at the moment. The back of my head and my temples are sometimes really itchy, but I dont know if they itch because of hairloss..or because of my paranoid behaviour to go through my hair and look for bald spots or if the tempels are getting bigger. I have really thick darkbrown-black kinda curly hair, so nobody really notices my hairloss, when I dont tell them or pull my hair back to show my temples. But hiding cant be the solution, since it will probably can become worse.

Should I buzz my hair off?
    Or shave?
    I think if I shaved my hair, Id always have a 5'o clock shadow, since my hair is so thick and dark

Here are some photos ( I pulled my hair back)

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7184/img0517qf.jpg
    http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2980/img0519z.jpg
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4784/img0524ws.jpg

What do you think of it?
    Which stage of Norwood am I?
    Should I buzz my hair off? Would it fit to me? (please be honest)

Hey there-

Your hair isn't bad at all right now. Looks thick and healthy despite some recession. You're right in saying no-one would notice it. You're closer to NW2 than NW3. I would suggest looking into the propecia and giving it a year. If your lucky you can maintain that good head of hair for a long time.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
    Hey there-

Your hair isn't bad at all right now. Looks thick and healthy despite some recession. You're right in saying no-one would notice it. You're closer to NW2 than NW3. I would suggest looking into the propecia and giving it a year. If your lucky you can maintain that good head of hair for a long time.

Good luck.
    Thanks mate..that really encourages me a lot.
    But I really cant afford buying propecia, its really expensive here in germany.

How much hair do you lose normally when you take a shower?
    I dont know if I'm just paranoid but I really lose about 150++ .. and that cant be normal, can it?
    My mom always says that its because of my hair, that it is so thick that when one hair drops out, it stays in my hair until I take a shower.
    When I go through my hair with my fingers I always have 1-3 hair in my hand regardless of which part of my hair I am going through ( even those parts which are usually used as donors)
    But since the doctor said my hair folicles show signs of MPB Im really worried..

I'm just getting a prescription next week myself, but if you can't afford it you might want to consider the generic fin (Proscar), which is cheaper. It's 5mg and you'd have to cut it into small pieces- so that would be 1 or 1.25mg daily.

You need a prescription for either. Tell your doctor money is tight and you would like a prescription for Proscar.

You've caught it early, so stay strong mate. I'm a NW2 myself, but now have some thinning that's become apparent over the last year. I SO wish I'd got on fin 18 months-2 years ago my hair really did look great and was pretty thick- that's why I didn't think I had a problem. However, I was likely thinning even then.

Even though I saw myself in the mirror every day, I didn't notice- it can really sneak up on ya.

Prevention is key. So I wouldn't leave it another a year. You won't be bald but you may be worse off.

Good luck, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
    Thanks mate..that really encourages me a lot.
    But I really cant afford buying propecia, its really expensive here in germany.

How much hair do you lose normally when you take a shower?
    I dont know if I'm just paranoid but I really lose about 150++ .. and that cant be normal, can it?
    My mom always says that its because of my hair, that it is so thick that when one hair drops out, it stays in my hair until I take a shower.
    When I go through my hair with my fingers I always have 1-3 hair in my hand regardless of which part of my hair I am going through ( even those parts which are usually used as donors)
    But since the doctor said my hair folicles show signs of MPB Im really worried..

I would recommend getting propecia and then cutting it into 4 and taking 1/4 at night before bed.
    I did very well on .25mg for a long time. After 100 days you should start to see a difference, if not....you can go to 1.25 proscar. I believe its better to start with a lower dose, you can always bump it up.

Check how tight your scalp is by putting your hands above your ears and pushing. I'm guessing your scalp is tight, check it again after starting propecia...it should losen it up and after the initial shed, your hair will start to come back. From my experience, a tight scalp tells a lot, did for me.

hair loss can be very frustrating. But there is always a way out even when you are in such a situation

What is the most popular mens haircut? Some of the most popular haircuts for men are the pompadour, fade, undercut, quiff, comb over, and slick back. See haircuts for men