+ Reply to Thread

Default Am I getting bald? 19 years old

Hey, my name is Guy.
    I used to have long "ponytail" for a few years and I recently had a hair cut. (I'd like to point out that I had some hair shedding in the last year, sometimes blocking the shower, my hair was VERY long. Also I find a bit of hair on the pillow every morning)

So during the hair cut my barber told me I had a little spot on the back of my head. I checked it and here are some pics of my crown, and I also added some picture of my temples just in case (they seem a bit thin to me, though it has been the case for the last year or so and I didn't see changes) - (I just woke up)

The crown. the spot is on the top back right corner. I'm just looking down in these pics (though it could be just a cowlick. that's what I'm here to find out hehe)-

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6268/001yli.jpg
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/605/002tsl.jpg

The temples.

This pic is when I pull the hair 'normally'-
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8012/007odf.jpg

This is when I when I pull a bit higher -
    http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2239/008nl.jpg

This is the front for reference

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4404/009imk.jpg

I'm worried because my grandad and my uncle (his son obviously) from my mother's side are both completely bald.

I had some blood tests, the only thing they found is that my Coristol is a higher than average.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any comment on this.
    If more pic are necessary I'd be happy to post some more.

Also just received a message from the test lab that I have low Folic Acid than normal. Not sure if it has anything to do with hair though. Any ideas? (according to them the normal amount is between 5.4 to 25, I have 2.6)
    Last edited by Guy909; 11-17-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: additional info

Yes, unfortunately. My own crown has started to thin out a bit over the last year, I recently realised and it can look somewhat like that in the right lighting.

If you hope to maintain your hair I suggest you look into fin. As you're young like me, it could help halt and possibly reverse some of your loss.

High cortisone is usually associated with stress and low folic acid is associated with quite a bit of underlying diseases.

Your hair actually looks really normal. Have you physically noticed your hair thinning or notice hair falling out when you shower? Or when you run your fingers through your hair?

It sounds like you would benefit from stress relaxation and possibly a vacation to level out your hormones more than going on some medication/treatment.

Genes usually skip a generation, so I would look at your mother's father. aka your grandfather. Also it doesn't mean that you got the faulty genes for hair loss either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromin View Post
    High cortisone is usually associated with stress and low folic acid is associated with quite a bit of underlying diseases.

Your hair actually looks really normal. Have you physically noticed your hair thinning or notice hair falling out when you shower? Or when you run your fingers through your hair?

It sounds like you would benefit from stress relaxation and possibly a vacation to level out your hormones more than going on some medication/treatment.

Genes usually skip a generation, so I would look at your mother's father. aka your grandfather. Also it doesn't mean that you got the faulty genes for hair loss either.
    I do notice hair fall in the shower, mainly when using shampoo and conditioner.
    When I run my fingers through my hair I usually have up to 2 falling, but none fall more often than not.

What do you think? is that normal?

The crown bit is what worries me most. Could be just the way my crown hair grows but to me it seems a bit big for a cowlick.

I also take into consideration the fact that ponytails could harm the hair (and I used to tighten mine, because I didn't know it could affect hair loss) and that may be a reason, I just don't know if it is reversable.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy909 View Post
    What do you think? is that normal?

The crown bit is what worries me most. Could be just the way my crown hair grows but to me it seems a bit big for a cowlick.
    Your temples look normal for a male. It does look like you are starting to thin in the crown. If you want to do something about it, you need to talk to a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss. He or she will help you determine what treatment regimen is best for you. The doctor might recommend, Minoxidl (Rogaine) or Propecia (Finasteride) or low level laser therapy or any combination of those treatments.

Could just be a mature hairline developing.