+ Reply to Thread

Default Age 20, Propecia+Nizoral.

Hi everyone, I just want to start off by saying that I had first posted this in the "Hair Treatment" section of the forum, but I felt it has more purpose here.

I'm 20 years old and I've noticed that I've been gradually losing my hair (on the top, and hairline has receded). My mom was the first one to notice the hair loss. Since then I've been really insecure as I have had very thick and curly hair up until i was about 19.

I've also noticed several months ago that the top of my scalp has been unusually itchy. About a weeks ago I went to the Dermatologist, to which she prescribed Propecia to me. Before going in I had researched extensively and had come to the point that Fin was my only option as I did not want to use Mioxidil because I don't think I can keep up with applying it 2 times a day.

I'm hoping that I don't see an increased rate of shedding, although I won't be surprised if it happens. I just hope that it wont last for months as I have read stories like this. My father has a full head of hair as do my uncles. The only person that was bald in my family was my grandpa (ironically we the same first name), but my grandpa never had thick hair to begin with. I don't think I can cope with being bald, I can't see myself as pulling off the look.

Although I'm doing all this worrying, no one has commented on my hair loss to this date so that has kept me feeling a little more positive. I was just hoping someone would have some tips and maybe some encouragement as I am sure I'm not the only one to go through this at a young age.

UPDATE MONTH #1: I've noticed that I've been shedding excessively. When I run shampoo through my hair when taking a shower I notice sometimes 10-20 hairs on my hands. Some days I only see a maximum of 5. I don't really understand why it fluctuates but I hope it doesn't last long. It also seems like my hair has begin to recede a bit faster along my temples, side, and front hairlines. Wouldn't it be some shit if this exacerbated the hair loss and it didn't come back? I hope this isn't the case.

UPDATE MONTH 2: So It seems like what I thought was a tender nipple actually turned out to just be an ingrown hair and has since gone away. For the first month of being on Propecia I notice a LARGE amount of shedding. I was shedding 10-20 hairs every time I ran my hand through my hair in the shower and about 5-10 hairs when my hair was dry. Since month 2 has rolled around I've seen those numbers drop drastically to about 5 hairs max when shampooing and about 2 when running my hands through my hair when dry.

I have also noticed that it seems like my hair in general is looking to be a little bit thicker (or maybe I'm imagining it). Either way, my hair loss has completely halted and my hair feels physically stronger from where it was over a month ago. I have noticed no side effects so far whatsoever up to this point and have no complaints, except for the high price .

Quote Originally Posted by Confided View Post
    I'm hoping that I don't see an increased rate of shedding, although I won't be surprised if it happens.
    Shedding is a necessary evil that is associated with every treatment for hair loss that actually works. The reason is because the hairs in the weak shrunken follicles need to shed out of the way as the weak shrunken follicles are re-enlarging and returning to normal. The shedding stops when those weak shrunken follicles have returned to close to normal.

How much you will shed depends on how many of your hair follicles were damaged. The more damaged hair follicles you have, the more you will shed. The less damaged hair follicles you have, the less you will shed.

Before going in I had researched extensively and had come to the point that Fin was my only option as I did not want to use Mioxidil because I don't think I can keep up with applying it 2 times a day.
    Once it becomes part of your normal routine, it's really not a bother. Try using Rogaine foam in the mornings and generic liquid Minoxidil in the evenings. Rogaine foam is more stealthy but it is expensive. Generic Minoxidil is very noticable but it is less expensive.

Many, including me, recommend adding Nizoral shampoo to your regimen. I would suggest getting a bottle of the over the counter version (Nizoral A-D) and follow the directions on the bottle. Never use the 1% version more than twice per week and make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner.

I have had good experience with my laser comb. You might too. The laser comb is expensive and it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a try. If you don't see improvement in your hair within the money back guarantee period, take advantage of that money back guarantee and get your money back.

Appreciate the feedback Tracy. I've been on Nizoral A-D for about a month now. I actually like the fact that it leaves my hair pretty dry because it makes my hair seem thicker than it actually is. I've been hearing that with either way you go, the foam or the liquid, that your hair is going to be greasy. I don't really want to have to do that if I don't have to, but I will if Propecia & Nizoral aren't enough. I think im at the beginning stage of Norwood 1. I hope catching it this early will yield me good results.

I've been hearing that with either way you go, the foam or the liquid, that your hair is going to be greasy.
    What you are "hearing" is not true. The foam is not greasy. The 5% men's liquid Minoxidil is geasy. The 2% women's liquid Minoxidil is not greasy.

I think im at the beginning stage of Norwood 1.
    I am going to be painfully honest with you. Norwood 1 is just the normal mature male hair line. The normal mature male hairline is one of those physical characteristics that distinguishes a male from a female like broader shoulders, deeper voice, bigger hands and bigger feet. I don't know if you can stop that from happening with medications. Unless you are transgendered, no ethical doctor is going to agree to do a hair transplant to resolve that either. The mature male hairline is normal for a male and not considered "balding". You don't "need" to do anything about it, and I am not sure anything you try to do about it is going to stop it.

This is what my hair currently looks like after 3 months of Propecia, and about a month and a half of Nizoral. I'm afraid my hair is still rapidly thinning in the frontal region. I can't stand my hair when it's wet, but when it's dry you can barely tell im thinning, in my opinion at least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.jpg

Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	12498   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment1.jpg

Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	12499   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment3.jpg

Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	12500   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment4.jpg

Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	12501   Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment5.jpg

Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	12502  

I'm afraid my hair is still rapidly thinning in the frontal region.
    At only three months on Prepecia, it is much too soon to make such a determination. You need to wait the full year to determine if it is working for you or not. You must also understand that you may not be able to prevent the mature male hair line from developing. It is completly natural and normal for males to develope a male hair line.

I have to say again that your hair just does not look bad. Maybe you don't have as much density as you think you once had, but it still doesn't look bad. Using a laser comb might improve your hair to the point that you are happy with it. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to tell if it will improve your hair is to try it for about four months. If it does, great. If it doesn't, send it back for a refund.

This is what my hair currently looks like after 3 months of Propecia, and about a month and a half of Nizoral. I'm afraid my hair is still rapidly thinning in the frontal region. I can't stand my hair when it's wet, but when it's dry you can barely tell im thinning, in my opinion at least.
    Your hair looks good when it's not wet. Do you have any pictures that you took before the treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromin View Post
    Your hair looks good when it's not wet. Do you have any pictures that you took before the treatment?
    This pic was taken in Feb of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    At only three months on Prepecia, it is much too soon to make such a determination. You need to wait the full year to determine if it is working for you or not. You must also understand that you may not be able to prevent the mature male hair line from developing. It is completly natural and normal for males to develope a male hair line.

I have to say again that your hair just does not look bad. Maybe you don't have as much density as you think you once had, but it still doesn't look bad. Using a laser comb might improve your hair to the point that you are happy with it. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for everyone. The only way to tell if it will improve your hair is to try it for about four months. If it does, great. If it doesn't, send it back for a refund.
    The laser comb is a little bit too much money for me right now. I think I'll probably just stick with what I'm doing right now and if it doesn't work out for me, then I guess it'll just be time to shave my head. You seem to point out that this might be the progression of a mature male hairline, but where's the line drawn between thinning and maturing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	beforepropecia.jpg

Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	12503