+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Hair loss at age 17

Hey, First of all, Sorry for my bad english

I'm new to the forum. I am 17 years old (18 soon), and I'm experiencing hair loss for about one year now. First of all I noticed that in the last year, my hair became really thin. and in the upper place of the head I can see my head in the mirror, that i had lost lots of hair. I still got hair there of course and when i have a long haircut i can cover it up a little bit but i don't really like that long haircuts because of my thin hair so I always make the mid length haircut and I can clearly see me head through the really thin and small amount of hair there! But on the sides everything is great (what im trying to say is that im losing hair only in the upper place on the head) Now I read on the forum about some medicine that I can buy. I thought of buying Minoxidil. So basically all I want is your help guys and your advice on what should I get to stop losing my hear everyday because in my age its really hard to lose hair. Sometimes i just need to wear a hat to not by embarrassed of my head.

So what should I get and maybe you can give me some advice?

P.S My grandfather is bald on the top but my dad had a full head of hair at his 20-30.
    (I only saw photos of him)

Thank you.

tbh, you should go see a doctor first because hair loss doesn't always mean its hereditary. there could be many other underlying problems that cause hair loss. if they tell you it's male pattern baldness due to unlucky genes, try using the three most effective mainstream treatments.

the big three treatments right now are: minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral

read up on everything and decide for yourself if you want to make the commitment

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bromin View Post
    tbh, you should go see a doctor first because hair loss doesn't always mean its hereditary. there could be many other underlying problems that cause hair loss. if they tell you it's male pattern baldness due to unlucky genes, try using the three most effective mainstream treatments.

the big three treatments right now are: minoxidil, finasteride, and nizoral

read up on everything and decide for yourself if you want to make the commitment

good luck
    Hi, thanks for the fast reply! I live in saint-petersburg thats a big city in Russia and I already went to a couple of doctors but I also have something called Seborrhoeic dermatitis. I sometimes have some little red spots on the top of my head and they told me to cure this first. And only after, to do something about the hairloss. I'm using Diprosalic and it helps but after a short time the little red spots are back again. So I'm basically not sure what should I do now because the doctor told me to cure this first, but its simply impossible? because in 2-3 days its back again. But its not bothering me because those red spots are very little and its really really hard to find them. The real thing that is bothering me is the hairloss. And I just don't know what to do about that.
    Could you tell me what kind of a doctor I need to see so I will be 100% sure about what kind of hairloss I have?
    Also, I don't think that I need to take things such as finasteride at the age of 17 because I've read so much bad about it and its side effects.
    I'm considering minoxidil but I wanted to get advice from the people here
    Thanks !

Nizoral would actually help you treat Seborrhoeic dermatitis, which is just a fancy name for skin irritation and dandruff due to fungus.

I don't know why your doctor would tell you to treat Seborrhoeic dermatitis first because everyone has this problem to certain degrees.

Any doctor can determine if your hair loss is due to male pattern baldness or a different underlying disease, unless it's different in Russia. I just go to my family physician for routine check-ups and asked him for a prescription recently. He just did a routine physical check up and agreed it was due to genetics because all my other health conditions were fine.

If you look at actual clinical data with finasteride, 98% do NOT have the side effect and the data is actually closer to 1% for people with side effects and even lower for people who has had permanent side effects. Although I might agree starting it at 17 might be too rash, but hair treatment is about KEEPING what you have, so the earlier you start, the more hair you will keep.

What's even more scary is that people replying back with finasteride problems are people who get the drug from a 2nd hand source, and not from approved pharmacies. So the replies get heavily skewed to one side. Not that i'm trying to push finasteride onto you, I just want people to understand the facts and not internet debauchery.

Minoxidil is a great treatment if you can undertake losing a lot of hair initially. I'm only 5 weeks into minoxidil and I have lost probably another 10-15% of the hair due to the initial shedding. But just a few days ago, the shedding just recently turned around and I am experiencing less shedding than before, which was a huge sigh of relief for me.

If you want to avoid finasteride, I would start with Nizoral and Minoxidil. But understand that this is a patch, not a cure, and you will have to continually use this forever if you want to keep your hair.

Nizoral would actually help you treat Seborrhoeic dermatitis, which is just a fancy name for skin irritation and dandruff due to fungus.

I don't know why your doctor would tell you to treat Seborrhoeic dermatitis first because everyone has this problem to certain degrees.

Any doctor can determine if your hair loss is due to male pattern baldness or a different underlying disease, unless it's different in Russia. I just go to my family physician for routine check-ups and asked him for a prescription recently. He just did a routine physical check up and agreed it was due to genetics because all my other health conditions were fine.

If you look at actual clinical data with finasteride, 98% do NOT have the side effect and the data is actually closer to 1% for people with side effects and even lower for people who has had permanent side effects. Although I might agree starting it at 17 might be too rash, but hair treatment is about KEEPING what you have, so the earlier you start, the more hair you will keep.

What's even more scary is that people replying back with finasteride problems are people who get the drug from a 2nd hand source, and not from approved pharmacies. So the replies get heavily skewed to one side. Not that i'm trying to push finasteride onto you, I just want people to understand the facts and not internet debauchery.

Minoxidil is a great treatment if you can undertake losing a lot of hair initially. I'm only 5 weeks into minoxidil and I have lost probably another 10-15% of the hair due to the initial shedding. But just a few days ago, the shedding just recently turned around and I am experiencing less shedding than before, which was a huge sigh of relief for me.

If you want to avoid finasteride, I would start with Nizoral and Minoxidil. But understand that this is a patch, not a cure, and you will have to continually use this forever if you want to keep your hair.
    Hi, Thanks for the reply
    I have some of questions for you
    First, what would you recommend to try first? Nizoral or Minoxidil? And if you prefer the Minoxidil so the 2% or the 5% ?
    Can I use the Minoxidil and the Nizoral both?

Second, If I use the Minoxidil and my hair starts falling out even more "I think its called shedding", so does that mean that the process is working and that the Minoxidil is starting to work? Or it can just fall off and I it will get even worse?

Could you also recommend any Shampoo that would won't be bad for my head and only make it worse?

Thank you

You can definitely use Nizoral + Minoxidil and a lot of people use all three: finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral.

I currently use minoxidil 5% because it is known to have more of an effect than 2% solution.

If I were you, I would start with Nizoral and see if the inflammation goes down, that might actually reverse your hair loss if your seb dermititis condition is extreme. Maybe that is why the doctors said to treat that condition first.

There have both been cases of massive shedding and no regrowth, and shedding ending with lots of growth of hair. It really depends on the individual. They recommend that you try minoxidil and if you see no hair improvements within 6 months, it is not taking effect. There really isn't any harm done by using minoxidil because those hairs would've eventually have fallen out anyway. However, most interpret that shedding means the medicine is taking effect and you should stick with the program.

You can definitely use Nizoral + Minoxidil and a lot of people use all three: finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral.

I currently use minoxidil 5% because it is known to have more of an effect than 2% solution.

If I were you, I would start with Nizoral and see if the inflammation goes down, that might actually reverse your hair loss if your seb dermititis condition is extreme. Maybe that is why the doctors said to treat that condition first.

There have both been cases of massive shedding and no regrowth, and shedding ending with lots of growth of hair. It really depends on the individual. They recommend that you try minoxidil and if you see no hair improvements within 6 months, it is not taking effect. There really isn't any harm done by using minoxidil because those hairs would've eventually have fallen out anyway. However, most interpret that shedding means the medicine is taking effect and you should stick with the program.
    Thanks for the fast reply again

No, my my seb dermititis condition is not extreme. its just here and there you know, I can find some red spots on my head sometimes, sometimes not. sometimes i feel them, sometimes not. its not annoying me or something. But if you say that Nizoral can help me with this thing so I will probably use it. But of course I care more about the hair loss!

So how would you recommend me to use it all? To try Nizoral first for the seb? And only after take care of the hairloss? Or to start with the Minoxidil 5 twice a day? or once? Can I use it in the morning and go to college or i will feel something annoying and my hair will look bad?

So basically my question is how and when should I use the Minoxidil? I think its going to be the Regaine.

Thanks

If your set on doing something about your hair, I would get both 5% minoxidil + nizoral and start using it.

Although, possibly go see your doctor again and ask him for the reasons why he thinks you should fix your underlying cause first. They might have insight that I would not. I try not to go against what doctors say.

The liquid version of minoxidil can make your hair look messy/oily at times. If you have short hair, many people have said using rogaine foam gives you a great look without your hair being oily or messy.