+ Reply to Thread

Default Another side effects question.

So I know there are all kinds of post on this website regarding side effects but i feel i need to ask this anyway. So i'm now in my fifth month of taking finasteride. It seems i've been mostly going through shedding but recently i think i'm finally seeing a little progress. However, just this past week i realized that i can not get erections the same as i used to. I'm not really able to get erections without physical stimulation and then i cant maintain them without continued physical stimulation (if you know what i mean). This has only started this last week, and i have been going through a lot of stress lately because of school and other things. Could this just be because of stress or would sexual side effects show up this late?

Up until now i thought for sure i was one of the lucky ones who didn't experience side effects but now i am afraid i am getting them. My libido hasn't really changed and i have the same volume of semen as always (alot of detail i know but i wanna be thorough) but im just not getting erections. Should i quit now or wait and see if it passes. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    So I know there are all kinds of post on this website regarding side effects but i feel i need to ask this anyway. So i'm now in my fifth month of taking finasteride. It seems i've been mostly going through shedding but recently i think i'm finally seeing a little progress. However, just this past week i realized that i can not get erections the same as i used to. I'm not really able to get erections without physical stimulation and then i cant maintain them without continued physical stimulation (if you know what i mean). This has only started this last week, and i have been going through a lot of stress lately because of school and other things. Could this just be because of stress or would sexual side effects show up this late?

Up until now i thought for sure i was one of the lucky ones who didn't experience side effects but now i am afraid i am getting them. My libido hasn't really changed and i have the same volume of semen as always (alot of detail i know but i wanna be thorough) but im just not getting erections. Should i quit now or wait and see if it passes. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    try cutting the pill in 2, and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    Could this just be because of stress or would sexual side effects show up this late?
    I have read many times in many places that stress can cause this. I do not know if this possible side effect could manifest itself this many months after starting the medication.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

In the few patiensts I have had that thought they were having megative side effect from Propecia it happened in the first month or two. In those cases it was a lowering of the libido not erectile disfunction. However, anything is possible. really try to lower your streess level and not think about things so much and see if this continues. Your other option is to discontinue and see if things return to normal. Then try meds again and see if same side effect occurs.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks Tracy c. I lowered my dosage a day or two ago just incase and it seems to be helping. It is probably just the confidence of thinking a lower dosage would help that is having a placebo effect but i think ill stick with the lower dose anyway. I think i'll wait a few weeks and see how the lower dose works out over a longer period and if the problem goes away completely.

I appreciate your help, you always post helpful replies to my questions

One more question for you or anyone who feels like answering. I experienced quite an extensive initial shed when starting finasteride even in areas MPB wasn't really affecting. If the problem with getting erections persists and i do decide to quit finasteride, will hair that still hasn't grown back from the shedding phase be permanently gone because I am no longer inhibiting DHT or will it grow back, seeing as it was fine before finasteride? Any thoughts?

Yeah, Dr. Glenn Charles, i really do think its kind of a cycle like that when you think of the side effects. When you notice you're getting side effects it stays on your mind making them worse and making you more stressed. Thanks for the advice