+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about natural dht blockers, help!

I'm 22 years old. I have receding hairline and thin hair.

I don't want to start Propecia because of the risk.

Soo i've been reading about some natural dht blockers.
    I know this might not work at all but i might aswell try.

I bought a bottle called 'Vital prostate' it contains some things that supposely block some DHT. It says take 2 pills a day. 2 pills contain:

Pumpkin seed oil - 560mg
    Nettle extract - 200mg
    Zink - 10mg
    Saw Palmetto - 220mg
    And some vitamins etc.

So my question is, on the bottle it says it's for men who are 40+. I'm 22 so would it be harmfull for me to take this??

ps. I'm also drinking Green tea & Nettle Tea because i read they may block DHT.

Is it ok to take natural prostate pills that are supposely for 40+ at age 22??

Thanks!

anyone ???

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeReggae View Post
    Is it ok to take natural prostate pills that are supposely for 40+ at age 22??
    I doubt they would harm you, but I can't say of they would help you either. All you can do is try.

The pills you bought are basically just a Saw Palmetto complex. I am not sure one blend would be any better than the other. So you might want to look at what other supplement companies are offering and choose the one that is most reasonably priced. I know Natures Bounty makes one. I can't tell you if it's any good or not though. Here is a link to the product and the list of ingredients.

http://www.naturesbounty.com/PRODUCT/006052

http://www.naturesbounty.com/VF/LABELS/L006052-NB.PDF

You might want to take a look at using Nizoral A-D medicated shampoo in place of your regular shampoo once every three to four days. Just make sure not to over use it. Also make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

Treating hair loss takes a long time. So you need to stick with your chosen treatment regimen for at least a year before you will know if it is doing you any good. It is very helpful to take good quality photos every two months to track your progress. Get someone to take the photos for you and keep everything as consistent as possible; same lighting, same poses and so on. It is also a good idea to maintain the same hair style for at least that first year you are treating your hair loss.

Thumbs up

Herbal therapy has no scientific validation as a sole means of tackling hairloss. If you are serious about doing something, Propecia remains the gold standard at this time. Minoxidil and Laser therapy and worth researching as adjunct therapies and Prp / Acell show some promise but are not universally accepted as viable therapies. Assess the risks of medical therapy then move on. Herbal options will most likely be a waste of your time, money and opportunity cost of affecting real change. Debating the merit of the herbal approach is generally part of the process but don't spend too long doing it. Stick with what has been proven to work. Best of luck!

I tried Saw Palmetto (320mg) with Pumpkin Seed Oil for 7 months. During this time I was also drinking tons of green tea and Soy Milk.
    I think it did a bit for my hair. My hair did become healthier but I was still loosing hair.

My guess is, if hairloss is annoying to you, and "not" a complete life wrecker its worth a shot. That is if you want to avoid propecia.

Give it an year before coming to a conclusion, regarding results.

Hi Khan, that is similar to my current approach, though I've only been using saw palmetto and a soy isoflavine/green tea combo for a month and a half.
    I figured it is doing something as I've shed much more hair than usual recently.
    I've also been using soya milk, but have made the switch to coconut milk (for the lauric acid) as I've never been particularly happy with the idea of consuming soya really.
    I'm curious to know if you or anybody else has used Theaflavines with any success? I'm intending to swap the green tea/soya isoflavines combo for the Theaflavines.

Thats great! When I started I didn't undergo any shed, but it didn't go much for me, so its probably a positive sign that you've started a shed.
    I use to drink 1litre of soymilk, and green tea 3 times a day, plus green tea extracts once a day. I also tried using Nettle root extracts.

I don't know what isflavines are,but I think what you need to be taking are isoflavones. Isoflavones are mild anti-androgens found in soy milk and other soy related products, and you can buy the extract aswell.

Althought natural regimen didn't do much for me, and I had to eventually start finasteride (without any sides till now), I am less skeptical about natural treatments than most people. Since there isn't much research done on them, people give up too early. Its like if Finasteride doesn't work, than you're part of unlucky 15% for whom finasteride is useless, but if natural treatment don't work than there has to something wrong with natural treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    Hi Khan, that is similar to my current approach, though I've only been using saw palmetto and a soy isoflavine/green tea combo for a month and a half.
    I figured it is doing something as I've shed much more hair than usual recently.
    I've also been using soya milk, but have made the switch to coconut milk (for the lauric acid) as I've never been particularly happy with the idea of consuming soya really.
    I'm curious to know if you or anybody else has used Theaflavines with any success? I'm intending to swap the green tea/soya isoflavines combo for the Theaflavines.

I'm kind of discussing this in another thread, but this would probably be a more apporpriate one to do so.

If the main cause of the Propecia sides (ED, low libido) are caused by the actual lowering of DHT, then ANYthing that is taken to lower DHT will cause similar sides, I believe. Including Saw Palmetto.

These are just speculations. We don't know for sure what causes side effects in Propecia. Is it DHT, or is it something else.

I think this discussion will remain inconclusive untill proper research is done. Maybe its the DHT, maybe its some other way that finasteride works to lower libido. So I am not claiming anything, which is my claim.

I am only one person, so I hardly constitue as a sample. But just to post my personal experience from Saw Palmetto, I took it for 7-8months, when it appeared to be not doing much at the 320mg, I increased it to 640mg for a peroid of 2.5 months. During this peroid, I started getting random heaches that could be related (but I can't be 100% sure), however there was no change in my libido.

My advice (based on personal experience)to is to first decide if he wants to try saw palmetto or any other treatment. But once you have made up your mind, please go in with a postive attitude. I suffered from insane anxiety and fear, waiting for something to go wrong (on finasteride).
    It wasn't worth it, if something had happened, my anxiety would not have prevented it. You cannot stop sides by fear, while in some case fear can lead to sides.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie25 View Post
    I'm kind of discussing this in another thread, but this would probably be a more apporpriate one to do so.

If the main cause of the Propecia sides (ED, low libido) are caused by the actual lowering of DHT, then ANYthing that is taken to lower DHT will cause similar sides, I believe. Including Saw Palmetto.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie25 View Post

This is only true if Anything that lowers DHT does exactly the same thing as Propecia. In reality, this most likely not the case, because it may not only affect 5 alpha reductase, but also some other enzymes.