+ Reply to Thread

Default Three Weeks on Propecia

I have been on propecia for three weeks now due to what appeared to be a rather sudden loss of hair coverage all over the top of my head (no pattern yet -temples/crown). I know that hair loss is a slow process but I have pictures to back up my sudden losses. I went to two doctors and a dermatologist who all agreed it was MPB and that it could occur regardless of no family history (either side). They claimed that the hair loss probably just reached a "tipping point" where I finally noticed it.

Here's the issue, since starting the propecia my personal area seems to have a dull feeling or an ache from the two balls but no dire pain. They also seem to get firmer once taking the pill then return to normal throughout the day. Otherwise, everything else is good, no pain. Is this normal? And is it simply the body getting used to the drug?

Also, since taking the pill, I seem to notice that my hair may be filling in a bit but I am not 100% sure and it may be optimism. Also, every few days I get a rush of ichyness that I treat with Nizoral 1%....Does the iching mean more hair will be lost?

I have had a full load of blood work done and all was normal except for a slightly high CPK test, my doctor also decided to take me off of statins (cholesterol pill) thinking that this may have caused the CPK result.

Thanks

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Hair shedding usually comes in intervals with more sheds. You will most likely see your hair thickening on Propecia/Proscar and less and less itch. At least that what I experienced and what seems to be the most likely scenario. The itchy feel seems to be very related to hair loss - in the period just before I started proscar - I had a lot of itching in the scalp and I was loosing hair rapidly, all that went away about a week or two after starting up proscar.

Yes the sensitive testicles are very normal and I had it as well and it usually reduces over time - I can still feel it a bit sometimes but very little and cannot remember if I had any of this feel pre-proscar..

If you do not have any serious side effects (I did not) - just continue what you are doing and you have likely stopped your hairloss for years maybe longer.

Personally I seem to have halted my hair loss for some 2 years time - and seen some serious regrowth in the crown and overall my hair looks thicker. My hairline is still the same (bad) and sometimes I worry that I still loose a bit in the hairline but not 100% sure.

Good luck and worry less.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeb View Post
    I have been on propecia for three weeks now due to what appeared to be a rather sudden loss of hair coverage all over the top of my head (no pattern yet -temples/crown). I know that hair loss is a slow process but I have pictures to back up my sudden losses. I went to two doctors and a dermatologist who all agreed it was MPB and that it could occur regardless of no family history (either side). They claimed that the hair loss probably just reached a "tipping point" where I finally noticed it.

Here's the issue, since starting the propecia my personal area seems to have a dull feeling or an ache from the two balls but no dire pain. They also seem to get firmer once taking the pill then return to normal throughout the day. Otherwise, everything else is good, no pain. Is this normal? And is it simply the body getting used to the drug?

Also, since taking the pill, I seem to notice that my hair may be filling in a bit but I am not 100% sure and it may be optimism. Also, every few days I get a rush of ichyness that I treat with Nizoral 1%....Does the iching mean more hair will be lost?

I have had a full load of blood work done and all was normal except for a slightly high CPK test, my doctor also decided to take me off of statins (cholesterol pill) thinking that this may have caused the CPK result.

Thanks
    I had the same thing with one of my balls. I would take 2 asprine and it went away. It happened only 3 or 4 times.

Thanks, I appreciate it