+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thanks for all replies on this thread.

mattj do you think i should start on rogaine foam now? i had been advised on another thread to give fin 9-12months before going on that also?

thanks.

Your hair loss is not bad. You are in the early stages and this puts you in a great position to arrest it and possibly grow some back.

Talk to your doctor about Propecia (1mg Finasteride) or generic Finasteride. It is not my place to recommend Finasteride, but if you don't do anything to take control of DHT, you will be fighting a losing battle. Make sure to ask questions about the possible side effects. Make sure you understand the possible side effects. You can save a lot of money by asking the doctor to write the prescription for 5mg generic Finasteride and splitting the pills into four pieces. Take one piece daily.

I think you would benefit from Rogain foam and/or generic Minoxidil. I would recommend using Rogaine foam in the mornings and generic 5% Minoxidil liquid in the evenings. Rogaine foam is very stealthy but it is expensive. Minoxidil lquid is not stealthy but it is relatively inexpensive, especially the generic version. Here in the U.S., Walmart has the best price for generic Minoxidil liquid.

I feel using Nizoral A-D (1% Ketoconazole) shampoo once every three or four days is helpful. If you choose the prescription strength Nizoral (2% Ketoconazole) shampoo, use that only once per week unless your doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Nizoral A-D shampoo is getting very hard to find so you may need to order it. I had to order my last bottle from CVS. I have read others ordering it through Walgreens.

I have had good experience with my laser comb. You might too. Hairmax has a 20 week money back guarantee. That is plenty of time to determine if low level laser therapy will improve your hair. If it does, great! If it doesn't, take advantage of that money back guarantee and get your money back.

Make sure to take good quality photos every two months. Get someone to help you take those photos and keep everything as consistent as possible; same poses, same lighting and so on. It is also a very good idea to maintain the same hair length for at least the first year you are treating your hair loss. This will make it easier for you to be able to tell if you are responding to treatment.

TLDR recap:

1) Talk to your doctor about Finasteride.

2) Start using Rogaine foam in the mornings and 5% Monixidil liquid in the evenings.

3) Start using Nizoral A-D shampoo every three or four days.

4) Give the laser comb a try.

5) Take good quality photos every two months to track your progress

Quote Originally Posted by r82 View Post
    thanks for all replies on this thread.

mattj do you think i should start on rogaine foam now? i had been advised on another thread to give fin 9-12months before going on that also?

thanks.
    I couldn't find the post you're referring to, but I imagine you were advised to wait so that you can tell which treatment you are benefiting from to avoid needlessly using both. I accept the logic of that, but if your hairloss is as rapid as you think it is* then it's probably best to attack it with as much force as possible. Propecia and Rogaine act in different ways. Propecia blocks the hormone (DHT) which causes androgenic alopecia in men who are genetically predisposed to suffer from it. Rogaine is more of a growth stimulant. However, both treatments can result in regrowth.

*I can only go by what you've described and your photos. Your earliest photo shows you with longer hair which makes comparison tricky. I see no obvious difference between the photos that show you with short hair.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    I couldn't find the post you're referring to, but I imagine you were advised to wait so that you can tell which treatment you are benefiting from to avoid needlessly using both. I accept the logic of that, but if your hairloss is as rapid as you think it is* then it's probably best to attack it with as much force as possible. Propecia and Rogaine act in different ways. Propecia blocks the hormone (DHT) which causes androgenic alopecia in men who are genetically predisposed to suffer from it. Rogaine is more of a growth stimulant. However, both treatments can result in regrowth.

*I can only go by what you've described and your photos. Your earliest photo shows you with longer hair which makes comparison tricky. I see no obvious difference between the photos that show you with short hair.
    Hi matt

thanks again for the reply. yeah i totally hear ya, i can see from the pics how it doesnt look a lot different. its hard now to know where it was then and where it is now. all i know the full top of the head hair is for sure thinner, in the light its kind of hollow. its mental because even with it being shaved i dont see where the hair has gone, not ever noticed much in shower or anything but its obv going somewhere.

im going to start on rogaine next week what the hell, im shaving my head at the mo to deal with it, some people say thats silly as i wont know if it has worked or not. way ill know when in a years time ill try grow it out and if its any better i will know and if its the same or worse well i gave it a try, not bothered about the money so be it.

ill keep you posted.

I'm going to try nizoral soon as monoxidil makes my scalp itch like a son of a bitch. I'm currently using a shea butter and coconut oil leave in conditioner to keep the itching and dryness under control, but I'm pretty sure I have bacteria on my scalp that shouldn't be there. This is from years of wearing a hat to cover up baldness (this might be why hats sometimes are recommended against). The stuff says it kills the bacteria that cause dandruff, and the salycilic acid shampoos have not worked for me (I already had pretty bad dandruff before monoxidil and now its huge flakes).