+ Reply to Thread

Default Shampoo's for seborrheic dermatitis

Dunno whether I'm right asking here, but I'll give it a whirl.

I've got seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. At least, my doctor mentioned it was that, didn't specifically say. My scalp is very red; I've got fair skin and burn easily, so I think it's fair to say my scalp could be slightly burned, but either way it's red and flaky/scabby. I was prescribed some Ketopine shampoo. It's got the same ingredients as Nizoral. I used it for a few weeks but my scalp stayed the same. I went back the doctors, was given some coconut ointment called Cocois. It stunk. It didn't do anything for my scalp either. I was also recommended by my doctor to use Polytar. I used that for a while, and went back to the doc's, and she said my scalp was looking clearer. I've been using it for a while now, but I've noticed around the back of my head, it's getting a bit scabby again.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good shampoo or something that would clear up my scalp?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnykino View Post
    Dunno whether I'm right asking here, but I'll give it a whirl.

I've got seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. At least, my doctor mentioned it was that, didn't specifically say. My scalp is very red; I've got fair skin and burn easily, so I think it's fair to say my scalp could be slightly burned, but either way it's red and flaky/scabby. I was prescribed some Ketopine shampoo. It's got the same ingredients as Nizoral. I used it for a few weeks but my scalp stayed the same. I went back the doctors, was given some coconut ointment called Cocois. It stunk. It didn't do anything for my scalp either. I was also recommended by my doctor to use Polytar. I used that for a while, and went back to the doc's, and she said my scalp was looking clearer. I've been using it for a while now, but I've noticed around the back of my head, it's getting a bit scabby again.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good shampoo or something that would clear up my scalp?

Thanks.
    The best one IMO is la roche posay kerium ds shampoo... it has an immediate effect and after ending the treatment you will be dandruff/scratch-free for 6 weeks! If it starts again then just follow the rutine. Nizoral made my hairloss increase, so i stopped using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramazan View Post
    Nizoral made my hairloss increase, so i stopped using it.
    How often were you using Nizoral? Over using Nizoral can make your hair dry up and fall out. Using Nizoral properly generally helps most people who are treating hair loss. The 2% prescription strength Nizoral should not be used more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. The 1% OTC strength Nizoral should not be used more than twice per week (once every three or four days). Using Nizoral more often than that can do more harm than good. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps many people, but like anything else, over using it can be harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    How often were you using Nizoral? Over using Nizoral can make your hair dry up and fall out. Using Nizoral properly generally helps most people who are treating hair loss. The 2% prescription strength Nizoral should not be used more than once per week unless a doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. The 1% OTC strength Nizoral should not be used more than twice per week (once every three or four days). Using Nizoral more often than that can do more harm than good. Nizoral is a great medicated shampoo that helps many people, but like anything else, over using it can be harmful.
    OMFG! I'm an idiot with a big I! I used it every day for like 3-4 weeks. But in my defence, i had a severe dandruff situation (really bad!). No wonder my hair thinned after a month of use! I feel like an ass right now!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree that Nizoral 2% should be used carefully and under the doctors supervision. Sometimes a mild anti-inflammatory is necessary. You would have to ask your doctor when you see them for follow up.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile