+ Reply to Thread

Default Been receding since 17....

I started noticing my ever thinning circle on the crown of my head when I was 17 and whenever someone asked me and called it a bald spot I'd always just deny it. I've been denying it for 2 years and now have finally accepted my receding hairline and thinning spot in the back of my head. But I get so mad because I don't know why I have to deal with it. I am actually a really hairy person and have been able to grow a beard since 16, but I can't have a full head of hair? It's very depressing and i'm just glad that I didn't go fully bald in high school because I already got made fun of a lot for being one of the only guys with full on chest hair. Luckily I was a "popular" one so I was able to push it off. I really think it will (and does) affect my confidence with girls as my hair gets less and less. I'm still able to hide most of it. I'm very outgoing and usually funny, have no problem with girls, but I think I will once I am actually bald. I am going to school to be a police officer and my positive thinking just keeps repeating "all cops have to have short hair so it won't be a problem." It just sucks that it's happening to me and not someone who wants short hair....

Oh and balding runs in my family. I don't believe it would be anything else. I think I am the only one that has had it start early though. Dealing with it is my only option. I think using a wig or wasting money of replacement would be defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendall B View Post
    But I get so mad because I don't know why I have to deal with it. I am actually a really hairy person and have been able to grow a beard since 16, but I can't have a full head of hair?
    It is because the same hormone that makes you hairy and enables you to have that full beard is the hormone that causes the hair on your head to fall out. The hormone is called DHT (Dihydrotestosterone).

Years ago Jeff Foxworthy made a joke that men don't actually loose their hair, it just relocates... That is actually kind of true in a way.

If you want to treat the problem, you need to talk to your doctor about Propecia (1mg Finasterode) or generic Finasteride. Since you have a bald spot, you would also need Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil). Many hear, including me, feel Nizoral shampoo is also helpful.

If you want to start treating the hair loss right away, here is what you can do now:

Go out and get Rogaine foam and generic 5% men's Minoxidil. Start with only one bottle of each until you know you can use the medicine without too many problems. Use the foam in the morning and the generic Minoxidil liquid in the evening. After you have used it for a few days you will know why I recommend that. Massage the medicine on your bald spot and mid-anterior. If you have some vellus hair in your hair line, put some there too.

Get some Nizoral A-D shampoo and use it in place of your regular shampoo once every three or four days (basically twice per week). You can also ask your doctor for prescription strength Nizoral. If you get the prescription strength, only use that once per week in place of your regular shampoo. Whichever Nizoral you chose to use, make sure to also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost every day.

I have had good experience with the laser comb. You might too. The laser comb is expensive though and it doesn't work for every one. Hairmax has a 20 week money back guarantee. That is plenty of time to determine if low level laser therapy will help you. If it does, great. If it doesn't, take advantage of that 20 week money back guarantee.

Lastly, talk to your doctor about Propecia (1mg Finasteride) or generic Finasteride. Make sure to talk extensively about the possible side effects. Please also understand that without taking something to control DHT, you will not be getting the most effective treatment for hair loss.

I know how you're feeling mate. I'm 17 and my hairline has been receding for about a year and have recently noticed that my hair is thinning all over. I started on Regaine a couple of months back and have seen a little regrowth so I'll see where that takes me. I reckon I'm going to shave my head next summer though, and I think it's a route that you should also possibly consider. I really don't think it's worth the stress and worry of trying to find a solution. And I don't think you'll have a problem with girls either, a shaved head with a bit of stubble is cool, and if you're a nice, confident guy then I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.