+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Young men's experience with Propecia

Hi im 18, hairlines thinning, considering propecia. Was wondering if there is anyone at there who started propecia at a young age and is willing to share the experience and thoughts with me. I was wondering how effective it was in preventing the aggressive mpb that people my age showing signs mpb will usually experience later in life.

Anyone who has experience propecia is also very welcome!

Thanks I really appreciate the advice you guys give here!
    -timmis

p.s. I have done a TON of research on propecia's sides so I am pretty aware of the possible dangers short and long/perminant term. And of course I will see my doctor as well derm specializing in hairloss before deciding to take propecia. So no real need in educating me as I will probably give it try despite the sides, such is the dangers caused by the deadly sin vanity. but ur input is welcome too!

Thumbs up

You seem in the know so I will dispense with background chat. I've been on Finasteride for 3 years. No major sides and I've kept what I had. I did'nt have particularly aggressive loss, rather a gradual decline. I think Propecia will likely be replaced by a newer technology (Replicel or Histogen look the most obvious candidates) in the forseeable future so anyone starting now will probably only need it until this happens. If you make the decision to use the drug (and only you can do that) then I wish you all the best and would advise you stay away from the negativity if you choose to proceed.

Good luck!

thanks anyone else

I have not tried Propecia, so I cannot give you first hand experience.

However, I want to make one thing clear: the rate of side effects is grossly minimized. I think Merk claims something like 2% of men experience side effects.

A casual glance at hair loss forums will disprove that claim. I think the number is much higher, like around 15-20%. After all, you cannot trust the company selling the medication to give an unbiased assessment.

Either way, it's not going to kill you. So if you do experience side effects, then just stop and they should go away quickly.

Good luck with your decision...

@timmis
    Hey man a lot of people around hairloss forums have no side effects. However they are possible.
    This is my advice to you:
    1. Check with a few GPs about Propecia and start with regular blood tests for hormone levels.
    2. Inform yourself. I mean not just on this forum. On multiple forums, then ask some medical experts. It would also be nice to consult with endocrinologist.
    3. Decide.
    The decision to use Propeica is solely up to you.

I've decided not to take the drug, I have aggressive hairloss so it ain't peachy. Propecia however can slow it down. But I'm hoping for a permanent solution in the future.

And on a side note. Definetly decide objectively. Do not let fear control you, rather look at it from a point of importance. Because trust me your own mind can make up its own side effects sometimes.

As I said I weighed my options with or without the drug, and decided it is not worth the risk. But priorities are different in all of us. Maybe your hair is really important to you and you would like to try. All I'm saying is:" Inform yourself". On the matter of Propeica I am completely reserved.

Timmis, read my thread. I've been on Propecia for about 2 months now with some promising results. I'm 20 years old and have noticed hair loss for the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by JustTheTip View Post
    I have not tried Propecia, so I cannot give you first hand experience.

However, I want to make one thing clear: the rate of side effects is grossly minimized. I think Merk claims something like 2% of men experience side effects.

A casual glance at hair loss forums will disprove that claim. I think the number is much higher, like around 15-20%. After all, you cannot trust the company selling the medication to give an unbiased assessment.

Either way, it's not going to kill you. So if you do experience side effects, then just stop and they should go away quickly.

Good luck with your decision...
    Not true. Sure more people claim to have sides on the forum but most who have a positive experience in the real world won't ever say anything. Those that have a bad reaction go online and complain. Its the way things work. Google problems with anything and you will find a long list of complaints. The research I have read is its actually around 5 to 7 percent that have sides. But because 2 to 5 percent on placebo have sides that number is reduced to %2.

Now in regards to propecia working for young men. Propecia doesn't stop dht. Best case is it reduces it by %70. For some men, even young ones with early loss, that is enough to make a big difference. For most sub 25 men who are already experiencing hairloss(meaning they are most likely going to be NW6 or 7) it just slows down the hairloss. Basically taking it might make your hair look at 30 what it would have at 25 without it. For guys who are older and just start noticing hairloss their hair isn't as sensitive and they typically see more results. Basically it works best for those who don't need it as much!

Hi there.

Don't read too much into the propecia hysteria you'll hear about on this site and others.

I started thinning on my temples around age 20, but it could have been earlier based on old pictures. I ignored it and figured I was too young to be having hair loss. I read about propecia and the supposed side effects and decided it wasn't for me. That was a huge mistake. Fast forward 4 years and my crown becomes noticeably thin. I freak out and start taking propecia. That was 3 years or so ago and my hair looks considerably better than it did when I started. It's not as good as it was when I first started losing it, but it's definitely not worse and my hair quality is improved. I just wish I had started when I was 20.

Never had any side effects at all. If anything I have more libido and erections than before. As for brain fog, I'm graduating medical school next week with a 3.95 GPA(this is not to be taken as medical advice) and I've never felt any change in mentation.

I would say that if you are going to do it, go into it assuming you won't have side effects since 98% of people don't. If you go into it assuming you will or you are looking for them to happen....you'll probably have them.

Start using 1mg p/day but I strongly advise you to masturbate every morning to maintain your wood over the years.
    It seems that 2 to 5% of men tend to lose their rock hard errections.