Threaded View

Default Lessons I've learned after 15 years of hair replacement

I've been using a hair replacement system for over 15 years and after many years of reading and learning from this site, I have learned immensely from many of the users that have taken the time to post.

I thought I'd finally return the favor and post some of the most important things I've learned in the hopes that it will help others that read it.

Non-surgical hair replacement turned out to be one of those rare things in life that actually delivered everything it was supposed to. I constantly hear all of the negativity on the Internet from disgruntled people and am constantly amazed at how my experience with hair replacement could be so different.

When I started losing my hair, I knew that it was not an option for me to be bald. For some people, they learn to live that way, for others, they shave their head.
    I knew that every time I met a bald person, I just felt more negatively about the person which is really surprising considering that I was someone who was balding myself.

I didn't want to have to go through life as a bald man and I was committed to finding an answer. I think it was this attitude of "I MUST find a solution" that ensured that I had positive outcomes.

"Wearing hair" has been such a positive thing in my life that I want to make sure that readers know that for some people like myself, it's been fantastic and I'd just like to counter some of the negativity.

I've gotten tons of feedback from others on my hair that increased my confidence over the years- people who were balding telling me that they wished they had a head of hair like mine, people making fun of bald people while I was present and two different offers to do hair modeling from people in the hair business who had no idea I used a hair replacement system despite weeks of seeing me in person before they came up to me and asked if I'd be interested.

The first decision I think you have to make is whether to go the surgical vs. non-surgical route. Just set up some free consultations with hair replacement surgeons and look at their before and after books. When I first started looking at hair replacement options, I was sure surgery was the way I'd go as I couldn't image myself (in my early 20s wearing a "toupee").

That changed almost immediately when I looked through their photo albums. I knew that they were only showing their best work but to me, while the guys I saw did have hair on their heads, they looked far from good.
    Additionally, many of the surgeons I spoke to dissuaded me from doing it as I was still so young and they felt that I wouldn't be happy. Surgery is a better option for those in their late thirties to early forties and even then in my opinion, only serves to stop someone from being completely bald. I wanted to look good.

This lead me to explore non-surgical hair systems and my first stop was Hair Club for Men. I remember the first time I saw myself in the mirror with a hair replacement system. I actually looked better than when I had a full head of hair.

Keeping looking that good was a different story and it really took years to figure it out. To this day I am still learning.

At the end of the day, however, I guess my message is that non-surgical hair replacement is truly amazing and that you can look better than you did with your own hair if you do things right and take the time to learn a few things.

Over the years, I've determined that there are several*"Pillars" of good hair replacement systems that you need to pay attention to when selecting a system.

If you understand these concepts you will be able to choose the right hair replacement for you and look great with a minimum of fuss and time. Notice I didn't say expense because I have clearly learned that in this industry, you get what you pay for and if you are not willing to spend the money, hair replacement is not for you.

The "Pillars" of hair replacement in my opinion are:

The Base Color
    The Crown
    The Sides (where the hair unit meets your own hair near the temples)
    The Back Blend
    Styling
    Type of hair used to create the system - Real hair vs. Synthetic
    The Profile - This is where most hair systems fall down.
    The Front - lace?, other materials? What is best?
    Hair Color

I'll go through each of these and tell you what to look for in each area so that regardless of which hair replacement company you end up using, you'll know the things you need to know to make good choices.