+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Receding Hairline @ 17

Hey guys, I'm only 17 and for about a year now I've started to notice that my hair has been insanely thin and limp.

For over a year I have watched as my frontal hairline has receded and I'm losing my temples/hair density all over.
    After I take a shower I have to use a blow-drier on my hair or else it wont dry at all and will stay soaking wet.
    Additionally, I've started to notice a lot of my hairs on my desks and textbooks when I'm studying, and when I scrub my hair in the shower I have hairs in between my fingers.

I've tried dropping conventional shampoos as I read the SLS and harmful chemicals in them can contribute to hairloss, and I replaced them with baking soda and vinegar, which hasn't done much except now I'm also starting to notice dandruff even after stopping the baking soda/vinegar shampoo.

I just recently went to a dermatologist who specializes in hair and he took close-up pictures of my scalp and hairline and wants me to come back in 6 months to see how things are. He told me that if I wanted I could try using Rogaine once a day until then and see if it's effective.

I've read everywhere the stories of shedding with Rogaine and it making things end up worse and I'm extremely scared and can't decide on whether to try it or not.
    I'm only 17 and this has been devastating to me and is bringing my confidence way down.

What can you guys recommend and do you think that I should try Rogaine?

Thanks

Since you are only 17, consult with your doctor FIRST, as hair transplant surgery will most likely not be considered for you just yet.
    Find a way, medically, to control the hair loss.

We are family here and we understand your pain. Hang in there.
    You are not alone.

Thanks for the warm response. And I definitely don't want to have to consider a hair transplant yet. My mother's father has a receded hairline but a lot of hair left on his head, while my father's father is pretty bald, and my father would be too but he has had a hair transplant and has used rogaine/propecia, if any of this information helps...
    So do you think I should start trying Rogaine once a day? The doctor also recommended Ketoconazole shampoo so I'm going to start using that too.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilArmstrong View Post
    For over a year I have watched as my frontal hairline has receded and I'm losing my temples/hair density all over.
    It is normal for males to lose hair in the temples. This is a normal mature male hair line.

After I take a shower I have to use a blow-drier on my hair or else it wont dry at all and will stay soaking wet.
    Actually, that is impossible. Your hair would dry. Anyways, when you use a blow dryer, use the lowest setting.

...and when I scrub my hair in the shower I have hairs in between my fingers.
    You should not be scrubbing your hair in the shower. The proper way to wash your hair is to gently massage your hair and scalp with the pads of your fingers.

When human hair is wet, it is extremely easy to pull out. You need to be extra careful with your hair when it is wet.

Also, when you towel dry your hair, do not rub vigorously. Pat your hair dry with the towel. Remember your hair is extra vulnerable to pulling out when it is wet.

I've read everywhere the stories of shedding with Rogaine and it making things end up worse and I'm extremely scared and can't decide on whether to try it or not.
    Those stories you are reading are largely written by people who do not fully understand the process of treating hair loss. Shedding is a normal and necessary part of the process. Shedding needs to happen so thicker stronger hairs can grow in place of the weaker hairs as the miniaturized hair follicles are returning to normal. Those who stop because of the shedding are making a mistake.

You are too young to need Rogaine anyways. After reading your post I suspect that your problem is possibly due to the way you have been mistreating your hair.

Start treating your hair properly for the next six months and see what happens. I do not think you should bother with Rogaine just yet until you are taking proper care of your hair. I do think using Nizoral A-D (1% Ketoconazole shampoo) every three or four days would help. But first and formost, you need to stop mistreating your hair.

Tracy, I guess the verbs and adjectives I have used have been misleading...I do not harshly scrub my hair, I do massage it gently due to the fact that I started to notice hairs on my hand. And also it is true that my hair doesnt dry well at all because I can shower, pat dry my hair, and watch it stay wet for hours.
    Thank you for the advice, but I have been extremely cautious with the way I take care of my hair.

Do you have long hair?

I still think using Nizoral A-D shampoo is good idea. I do not think it is a good idea for someone your age to be using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) though.

It would be a great idea for you to start a photo diary to help you see if you actually are thinning though. The photos will need to be very good quality and very consistent; same back ground, same poses, same lighting and so on. Take these photos every two months. At the end of that six month period, you should have four sets of photos (including the first day set). That is plenty to compare with to see if you actually are thinning.

Something many do not realize is that some shedding is normal, about 100 to 150 hairs per day. It is also normal to shed more hair on some day and less on others. There is also seasonal shedding... Shedding more than 100 to 150 hairs per day is a sign of a problem.

I have semi long hair, nothing past my jaw or anything.
    Thanks for the advice on the Nizoral, I'll use it and see how it helps
    So you think I shouldnt use rogaine now? Are there any disadvantages to starting it early?

So you think I shouldnt use rogaine now? Are there any disadvantages to starting it early?
    I feel it is best to make sure that you need to try it. Right now you do not actually know if you need it or not. It doesn't hurt to be sure.

The main disadvantage of Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is that it is an inconvenient lifelong commitment. There are some possible side effects, but they are generally mild. The main one being scalp itching and irritation. This is kept under control with a medicated shampoo such as Nizoral.

On Nizoral, make sure not to over use it. Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp. Use Nizoral A-D only once every three or four days (basically twice per week). If you get the full prescription strength Nizoral, use that only once per week, unless your doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Also make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.

I read somewhere that your future hairline is more from your mothers side not your fathers side. A lot of people just assume you inherit it from your Dad because he's going to have hair loss and your mum probably won't.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I'm only 17 and this has been devastating to me and is bringing my confidence way down.

Thanks
    Im my experience shedding is more common starting up using Propecia. Rogaine is one of those hair loss medications that works best in the crown area and the reason it works is not fully understood... so they say. As you may or may not know, minoxidil (Rogaine) was developed to treat high blood pressure. It dilates blood vessels. I personally believe that improved blood flow can improve hair growth.

My hair began thinning when I was 17. At that time there was little that could be done. A dermatologist prescribed hydrocortisone cream (steroid) for my hair loss and it actually seemed to help a little. My friends and family said it did. Recently I developed persistent dermatitis as the result of poison ivy. I have been using Cordran SP cream (flurandrenolide) for a few months. I noticed that my hair density has improved. I looked up the side effects the other day and noticed Cordran SP has the awful side effect of excessive hair growth!

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck