+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Tracy, I guess the verbs and adjectives I have used have been misleading...I do not harshly scrub my hair, I do massage it gently due to the fact that I started to notice hairs on my hand. And also it is true that my hair doesnt dry well at all because I can shower, pat dry my hair, and watch it stay wet for hours.
    Thank you for the advice, but I have been extremely cautious with the way I take care of my hair.

Do you have long hair?

I still think using Nizoral A-D shampoo is good idea. I do not think it is a good idea for someone your age to be using Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) though.

It would be a great idea for you to start a photo diary to help you see if you actually are thinning though. The photos will need to be very good quality and very consistent; same back ground, same poses, same lighting and so on. Take these photos every two months. At the end of that six month period, you should have four sets of photos (including the first day set). That is plenty to compare with to see if you actually are thinning.

Something many do not realize is that some shedding is normal, about 100 to 150 hairs per day. It is also normal to shed more hair on some day and less on others. There is also seasonal shedding... Shedding more than 100 to 150 hairs per day is a sign of a problem.

I have semi long hair, nothing past my jaw or anything.
    Thanks for the advice on the Nizoral, I'll use it and see how it helps
    So you think I shouldnt use rogaine now? Are there any disadvantages to starting it early?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilArmstrong View Post
    So you think I shouldnt use rogaine now? Are there any disadvantages to starting it early?
    I feel it is best to make sure that you need to try it. Right now you do not actually know if you need it or not. It doesn't hurt to be sure.

The main disadvantage of Rogaine (or generic Minoxidil) is that it is an inconvenient lifelong commitment. There are some possible side effects, but they are generally mild. The main one being scalp itching and irritation. This is kept under control with a medicated shampoo such as Nizoral.

On Nizoral, make sure not to over use it. Nizoral can dry out your hair and scalp. Use Nizoral A-D only once every three or four days (basically twice per week). If you get the full prescription strength Nizoral, use that only once per week, unless your doctor has specifically told you to use it more often than that. Also make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner almost daily.