+ Reply to Thread

Default Brand New Baldee! -27- please give me the tour/advice!

Hello, and greetings to all...I am new to this site and just joined after reading some posts over the last half hour. First off, I am a 27 year old grad student from MN...I have not noticed any balding with my hair until literally this week! I have always had kind of an open vertex (since I can remember) and very thick curly/wavy hair. This July I received my first grey hairs, which arent very visible under my thick hair. I assumed this would foreshadow my first hair loss, which apparently it has. All the men in my family are bald, but my grandfather went gradually, as did my father. My uncle, on the other hand, went from long, thick hair to a naked crown in about 4 years starting in his late twenties. Given this fast transition, I am assuming I will have a similar experience. I currently am not experiencing any thinning on my hairline or around the temples. I have not researched or have known anyone who has attempted to treat their hair loss, so any starting advice would greatly be appreciated. From what I have read, alot of members have used Rogaine, propecia, and nizoral shampoo...
    A couple of questions:
    Where is the best place to purchase these treatments?
    Can I get a prescription through my university clinic for propecia?
    Is there anyone who knows where to locate studies/journals for these (I am a genomicist, so I like the science part!)
    Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from some of you! I will thoroughly document my experience for the future people such as myself that stumble upon this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0068.jpg

Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	12091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0071.jpg

Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	12092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0072.jpg

Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	12093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0073.jpg

Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	12094  

Quote Originally Posted by njb1335 View Post
    I have not researched or have known anyone who has attempted to treat their hair loss, so any starting advice would greatly be appreciated.
    This is a cut-n-paste reply from another thread, but it applies here as well...

The quality of the photos you have shared are not good enough to determine how bad it is. However, it does look like you are starting to thin. You are in a good position though because you are catching it early and you are young. These two factors greatly improve your chances of recovering some or most of the hair that has miniaturized.

Start by getting yourself some Nizoral shampoo and using it in place of your regular shampoo on certain days. Nizoral is available in two strengths, 2% prescription strength and 1% over the counter strength. If you get the 2% prescription strength, only use that once per week in place of your regular shampoo. If you get the 1% over the counter strength, you can use that once every three or four days in place of your regular shampoo. In the U.S., the 2% prescription strength is only available with a prescription from a doctor. The 1% strength is labeled Nizoral A-D and you do not need a prescription to get it.

Get yourself Rogaine foam and generic liquid 5% Minoxidil. Use the Rogaine foam in the morning because it makes styling easier. Then use the generic liquid 5% Minoxidil in the evening.

I have had good experience with the laser comb. Low level laser therapy does not work for everyone though, but it might work for you. Hairmax gives you a 20 week money back guarantee and that is plenty of time to determine if low level laser therapy will work for you. If it does, great. If it doesn't, take advantage of that money back guarantee and get your money back.

Talk to your doctor about Propecia (1mg Finasteride) or generic Finasteride.

Keep track of your treatment progress by taking photos every two months. You will need those photos to be of good quality. Get someone to take those photos for you. Maintain consistency while taking those photos; same poses, same lighting, same background and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by njb1335 View Post
    Where is the best place to purchase these treatments?
    You can purchase Nizoral A-D, Rogaine foam and generic 5% liquid Minoxidil from your local pharmacy as well as other retail stores.

You need to talk to a doctor to get Propecia (1mg Finasteride) or generic Finasteride. Once you have your prescription, you can get it at your local pharmacy. Using 5mg generic Finasteride and splitting the pills into four pieces will save you a lot of money.

You can get a laser comb from many clinics who offer services to treat hair loss or you can buy one directly from Hairmax. My sister and I bought ours directly from Hairmax.

Your hair looks good to me. It's the way the thou took the photos with the flash that present it in it's harshest possible condition that is making it look bad.

However, based solely on your family history, I would seriously start researching and considering Propecia now! If everyone in your family is bald, then the chances of you not going bald over the next 10 years are slim.

So do yourself a favor and start researching it now because by the time you actually notice that you have lost a significant amount of hair, it may be too late... Then you'll have to start looking into surgical options such as FUT to replace what was lost.

Once you lose the hair, it's gone for the most part. However, Propecia can help you to hang on to it indefinitely. Research it well and be aware of the potential side effects. Also, understand that it isn't something that you can go on-again/off-again.

I have seen soooo many horror stories of guys who after responding well to Propecia, for whatever reason, decide to stop taking it only to experience a MAJOR shedding that leaves them looking half bald and forces them in to surgical options...

I cannot emphasize this enough. Once you're on it, you have to stay on it or else you're screwed!