+ Reply to Thread

Default Increased Dosage of Finasteride?

I've been on generic fin for about 15 months and have not noticed any decrease in shedding (no sides either, so at least that's good). Has anyone had any luck increasing dosage? 2mg? 2.5mg?

Only looking for responses from people who have tried increasing dosages, don't need anyone whining on here about propecia killing their hard on unless it's relevant to the question.

Thanks dudes

Just hoping to hold on long enough for one of these treatments in testing to come thru the pipeline, unless the pending global economic meltdown hits and then hair will be the least of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodkid View Post
    I've been on generic fin for about 15 months and have not noticed any decrease in shedding...
    Is your hair shedding or are you still losing hair? Please be aware that those are two very different things... Shedding means the medicine is working and your hair follicles are regaining size. The shedding will stop when those hair follicles are almost back to normal. If however you are still losing hair after 12 months on the medicine, the medicine is not working for you.

There was another thread the other day discussing the option of taking the medicine twice a day, approximately 12-hours apart. It wouldn't hurt to talk that idea over with your doctor.

Thanks Tracy,

I guess I can't tell if I'm 'losing hair' or 'shedding,' but hair is still falling out of the top of my head at a rate that alarms me. How can I be sure which one it is?

The best way is to keep a photo diary of good quality photos (not cell phone photos) while you are treating your hair loss. Take these photos every two months and keep them as consitant as you possibly can. Same background, same poses, same lighting and so on. It is best to get someone to take these photos for you.

Once you have a years worth of photos, compare them and see if you have less coverage on your head than you had in the first photo. If you have less coverage, you are still losing hair and the medicine is not working for you. If you have the same coverage, the medicine is working for you. If you have more coverage, the medicine is working well for you.

So what you are saying, going back to the first reply, is that shedding can be a good thing even 15 months in? I will say that I believe my hair is thicker where I have it (I'm losing it in that Jude Law patter), which would make me think it's working. Except I'd guess I'm losing/shedding 250-300 hairs/day, which is probably the same rate it was before I started fin. For ex, if I am reading a book, nearly every page I turn there is a fallen hair on it. Maybe 2. In the shower, every time I run my hand thru my hair there's another 15 on my hand, I probably take 80-100 hairs out during showers alone. This would make me think it's not working... Then again if these are just 'shed' hair as you say, it's not true loss?

I may have this entirely wrong.
    Thank you Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodkid View Post
    So what you are saying, going back to the first reply, is that shedding can be a good thing even 15 months in? I will say that I believe my hair is thicker where I have it (I'm losing it in that Jude Law patter), which would make me think it's working. Except I'd guess I'm losing/shedding 250-300 hairs/day, which is probably the same rate it was before I started fin. For ex, if I am reading a book, nearly every page I turn there is a fallen hair on it. Maybe 2. In the shower, every time I run my hand thru my hair there's another 15 on my hand, I probably take 80-100 hairs out during showers alone. This would make me think it's not working... Then again if these are just 'shed' hair as you say, it's not true loss?

I may have this entirely wrong.
    Thank you Tracy
    I don't think it's normal to shed 15 months in. Most people see a few months of shedding max, then they start to see some progression in hair growth. You, however, seem to be seeing no effectiveness from it. Maybe you should go on Midox & Nizoral as well. I guess it wouldn't hurt to start doing all three and see how that benefits you. Most people see some growth or decrease in hair loss when using the big three, from what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Confided View Post
    I don't think it's normal to shed 15 months in. Most people see a few months of shedding max, then they start to see some progression in hair growth.
    I'm not so sure that is true. During the four years that I have been treating my hair loss I have had three episodes of shedding. Each time my hair grew back thicker than it was the time before. The weakened follicles are going to cycle as they are returning to normal size. The shedding stops when the weakened follicles are close to normal size again. It takes much longer than a few months for that to happen.

I do agree that if his shedding has been a continual steady thing for all 15 months, the medicine is not working. However, since he has not been keeping track with photos, he doesn't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I'm not so sure that is true. During the four years that I have been treating my hair loss I have had three episodes of shedding. Each time my hair grew back thicker than it was the time before. The weakened follicles are going to cycle as they are returning to normal size. The shedding stops when the weakened follicles are close to normal size again. It takes much longer than a few months for that to happen.

I do agree that if his shedding has been a continual steady thing for all 15 months, the medicine is not working. However, since he has not been keeping track with photos, he doesn't really know.
    Tracy from my understanding, you're a woman?
    I'm guessing you're not taking finasteride (I hope not at least).

but yeah I completely agree that episodes of shedding can be expected although some people don't notice an increase in hair loss, while others its blatantly apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Confided View Post
    I'm guessing you're not taking finasteride (I hope not at least).
    I have read the available information about it - along with the other medications that might be used to treat hair loss. Yes, women should not take Finasteride - and men should not take the medication that women can take to treat hair loss. You don't read much from folks talking about that one over in this part of the forum though.