+ Reply to Thread

Default Amount of Minox for NW2 hairline?

For a NW2, at 5% concentration, is the 1ml measurement accurate? I've been applying .5 ml to each temple, but even this seems like an excessive amount, often leaving my hair in those areas wet and clumpy for hours. Has anyone had any success with less than 1ml?

Also, is it safe to blow-dry these areas or is it necessary to allow the Minoxidil to dry at its own pace? I feel like I'm always walking into work looking like complete crap because of all the Minoxidil in my hair...

The half life of the stuff is about 20hrs so I only put it on at night before bed. Can wash it out in the morning and go about your day feeling clean and not looking a mess. I don't think it's practical stuff. Tough to apply it twice a day. As a result I probably end up putting too much on.

Thanks FDR, do you find that the regrowth is sufficient in the temples using it only once per day?

I'm thinking I might alter my routine to use the 5% stuff at night and apply some 2% foam in the morning so it doesn't look as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DontKnowWhatToDo View Post
    I'm thinking I might alter my routine to use the 5% stuff at night and apply some 2% foam in the morning so it doesn't look as bad.
    There is no 2% foam. Rogaine foam is 5%.

Many women use the Men's 5% foam in the morning because it is more stealth, then use liquid Minoxidil in the evening when stealth doesn't matter.

You need to be aware that if your temples have been hairless for more than five years medication is not likely to be able to restore them.

Also be aware that you probably need to apply the medicine in more areas thanyou think you do. The crown (vertex) and mid-anterior are good places.

Quote Originally Posted by DontKnowWhatToDo View Post
    Thanks FDR, do you find that the regrowth is sufficient in the temples using it only once per day?

I have seen no regrowth in the temples. I've been using it since the beginning of March and maybe it has maintained some hair or perhaps slowed down the process but I don't anticipate it keeping my hair for very long. Though I am in the early stages of hair loss, I'd say norwood 2.5, (well I thought so but the doc asked me had I been losing my hair for 5 years) I will lose it despite the medications. My father is norwood 6 and didn't start to bald until 34. I'm 25 and must have started gradually at 21/22ish. Norwood 6 here I come. I realised that when I cut down to a 2 all over.

Tbh the best thing I've done since I noticed how bad my hairloss was getting is cut it nice and short. At least it's neater and more manageable. I think with the honeymoon period with minoxidil you can hope to maintain and stay above baseline for maybe a couple of years. I suppose I'll take that for the time being.

I honestly think you can just decide to use a cap full of the 5% foam each night and leave it at that. Of course that's just my opinion but there you go.

Bump. Has anyone else had success using less than 1ml (liquid) or less than 1/2 cap full (foam) on smaller areas of hair loss (e.g. Norwood 2)?

Really the foam stuff makes hair look like crap. It hardens it and leaves more residue than the liquid. I could imagine this working for somebody who normall gels their hair, but nobody else, least of all people with longer hair.

This is very odd. You can't even tell I use Rogaine foam. My hair is down to my shoulders. I do not use gel in my hair but I do use a leave in conditioner. Are you making sure to massage the foam into your scalp? I am very puzzled by what you have said.

Hi Tracy,

Yes I do my best to massage the foam into my scalp, but since the foam seems to be working to some extent, new hairs are in the area where it used to be just scalp, so I do end up getting more than I'd like in the hair itself. If you have an efficient method for getting more on your scalp than in your hair, I'm definitely interested in hearing it.

Also, do you blow-dry your hair once the Minoxidil has been applied? I didn't know if that would affect it's success, so I've more or less been letting it dry gradually, but since it's in my hair and not just on my scalp, it makes the hair clumpy, and harder as it dries.

Yes, I blow dry and I also use styling tools. I don't know what I am doing right with the foam. I just massage it in. I massage the foam in first, and then I spray in my leave-in treatment. I use a de-tangling comb to distribute the leave-in treatment thoroughly, then I blow dry and style.