+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How will Replicel or Aderans technique be used?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

..but let's say Aderans or Replicel's technique works. Will this ONLY be used as a "filler" type of treatment while traditional hair transplants are still needed?

The illustration on Replicel's site obviously indicates a NW7 restored to NW 1/2, but how exactly will these procedures achieve this and is it possible with just injections alone?

Cheers.

No idea. All I know is the guys in Georgia who have been injected have an order of magnitude more than they anticipate going to market with so if that doesn't work then it will be disappointing. We'll have to wait until March/April to see. They said 50% density in animal models but I don't know if that's a 50% improvement on say 20FU/cm2 or a restoration from slick bald to half native density. i.e bald to 45FU/cm2 everywhere.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the hairline will probably be best addressed with FUE for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post

..but let's say Aderans or Replicel's technique works. Will this ONLY be used as a "filler" type of treatment while traditional hair transplants are still needed?

The illustration on Replicel's site obviously indicates a NW7 restored to NW 1/2, but how exactly will these procedures achieve this and is it possible with just injections alone?

Cheers.
    If Replicel's technique works, you will not need any hair transplants. There are many videos on their homepage, which explain the way it works.
    So yes, only injections.

What's also noteworthy is that it appears the results might be compoundable i.e., successive injections might lead to further "strengthening" of native hair and more "new" telogen hairs. The only question(s) that need to be answered (beyond the growth rate) is whether or not their is a diminishing return associated with each successive injection. I really like the fact that they submitted their clinical protocols to the FDA - basically they are not hiding the approach and it is open to more scrutiny then their competition. Plus the autologous cell approach is very attractive in terms of safety - scientists have been employing this method to grow skin, bladders, etc. It appears that an answer (regarding the safety trials) will be available Feb. 2012 and they hope to commence the dosing trials sometime next Fall 2012. What will be interesting to see is how they control the direction of growth of the new hair follicles?

I imagine that in the future most people will use aderans or replicel treatments as a 'first-defense' line of treatment to stop the progression of MPB in it's tracks. As for the NW7s, if the treatment works and is compoundable enough - they're going to be able to go back to NW0 too.

Quote Originally Posted by TxRockClimber View Post
    What's also noteworthy is that it appears the results might be compoundable i.e., successive injections might lead to further "strengthening" of native hair and more "new" telogen hairs. The only question(s) that need to be answered (beyond the growth rate) is whether or not their is a diminishing return associated with each successive injection. I really like the fact that they submitted their clinical protocols to the FDA - basically they are not hiding the approach and it is open to more scrutiny then their competition. Plus the autologous cell approach is very attractive in terms of safety - scientists have been employing this method to grow skin, bladders, etc. It appears that an answer (regarding the safety trials) will be available Feb. 2012 and they hope to commence the dosing trials sometime next Fall 2012. What will be interesting to see is how they control the direction of growth of the new hair follicles?
    I think someone mentioned that because the way these "cloned" cells are programmed, all hairs induced will grow in the appropriate directions, just like native hairs

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post

It is my understanding that this process is generally for fill. Hair line reconstruction will still require traditional hair transplantation. It kind of makes sense if you think about it.

It is also my understanding that these new processes, if they work, will be ideal for addressing women's hair loss.

Thanks for the info regarding the follicle growth direction...I would have guessed that the cells might have some "internal" mechanism for alignment but of course it would be nice if there was actual laboratory/clinical proof. I am betting that the animal tests probably investigated or resolved this question.

If Replicel is successful (even moderately) than I would probably "short" the stocks associated with Parent Companies of Propecia and Minoxidil as their role will be severly diminished. What will be interesting to see is which of the two methods (papilla vs. sheath cup) is the more effective. I also wonder if Histogen will have a place in the market where they might compliment Aderan's or Replicel's technology? And of course - one can not forget about Latisse and their research into the use of the eye lash drug in the hair loss market. Do they have any role if autologous approach is successful?

Quote Originally Posted by TxRockClimber View Post
    If Replicel is successful (even moderately) than I would probably "short" the stocks associated with Parent Companies of Propecia and Minoxidil as their role will be severly diminished.
    I don't think so. Hereditary hair loss is progressive. Both medications will still be needed. Men will still need to block DHT and women will still be stuck with Minoxidil and stupid high doses of Spironolactone.

I was under the impression (from Replicel's website) that since they are generating the derma cup sheath from a biopsy taken in the DHT resistant area - one could assume the results would be resistant to DHT? Of course that might only cover the new telogen hairs and not the existing hairs which are just being "reinforced" by the Replicel injections. Of course - they are generating on the order of millions of derma cup sheaths from the biopsy so I guess that one could (over time) cover the entire scalp and replace all of the non-resistant DHT follicles. Only limitation is the efficacy associated with each injection and the diminishing return? Being a scientist - I would love to have a look at the animal studies and some of the preliminary results from the first participants who were injected during Ph I.