+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TxRockClimber View Post
    I was under the impression (from Replicel's website) that since they are generating the derma cup sheath from a biopsy taken in the DHT resistant area - one could assume the results would be resistant to DHT?
    If that is true that would be wonderful. If that also works for women suffering with hair loss, that would be even more wonderful.

Yes, it would be great and hopefully we will have better "visibility" sometime in Feb. - Mar. 2012. From everything that I have read (FDA website, Replicel website, etc.) - results would not be dependent on whether or not patient is male or female. The Phase I trial has a total of 19 participants of which 10 are male and 9 are female...It took them a bit longer to line up the necessary participants but I believe it was due to the fact that they wanted to find individuals who met the criteria (Norwood and Ludwig balding: III/IV vertex), good physical health and were not (nor had in the past) used any medication to treat their condition.

It's all explained in their videos on their homepage... And for detailled information, please check Spencers Interview with Replicel.
    Replicel is planned to be a real CURE. And yes. "sick" follicles will migrate to DHT resistant follicles.

In bald head, the stem cells remain but the progenitor cells have diminished. Replicel believes the DSC Cells carry most of the progenitor cells. If this is true, I'm assuming you wouldn't need a DHT blocker. The hairs would be DHT resistant as if the process of MPB was never triggered. That would be stupid sick!

Yes, it would be great and hopefully we will have better "visibility" sometime in Feb. - Mar. 2012.
    I poked around Replicel's website and it all looks wonderful - but this is still years away from being available to help women (or anyone else) with hair loss. * Sigh *

2 things:
    1. The effects are not expected to be transient. The follicles and hair that are grown are anticipated to last forever since they should be DHT resistant.
    2. There could be an exception to that with women who may not have a stable permanent donor zone. Hence that could be reinjection every x number of years. 3? 5? 10? Who knows.

Not sure how the hairline will be tackled but I' assuming a FUE session may be appropriate for the first 2 or 3cm (seems sensible to me). I guess it may also be possible to thicken out moth eaten donors for those few FUE patients who have pushed it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I poked around Replicel's website and it all looks wonderful - but this is still years away from being available to help women (or anyone else) with hair loss. * Sigh *
    2015 at the earliest for us all...And that's if everything goes according to plan which it never does to be honest.

Still, I think they're on the right track.

Only thing that could shorten the timeline (outside of advancements/delays during the safey and efficacy trials) is whether or not the FDA is successfully sued with regards to autogolous therapies. As the RepliCel CEO mentioned during the interview - a company in Colorado has taken the FDA to court to argue that the autologous therapies should not have to undergo the same trials as medicinal/pharma products as the cells have not been changed or altered. Similar in terms as to what is required for Fertility Clinics - they have not had to undergo any trials to prove that harvesting eggs (from a female) and reintroducing them (after fertilization) was not hazardous to the patients health.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    2015 at the earliest for us all...And that's if everything goes according to plan which it never does to be honest.

Still, I think they're on the right track.
    2015 in the west, it may be released elsewhere in 2014 but yeah we all have to wait out 2012-13 at least.

Only thing that could shorten the timeline (outside of advancements/delays during the safey and efficacy trials) is whether or not the FDA is successfully sued with regards to autogolous therapies. As the RepliCel CEO mentioned during the interview - a company in Colorado has taken the FDA to court to argue that the autologous therapies should not have to undergo the same trials as medicinal/pharma products as the cells have not been changed or altered. Similar in terms as to what is required for Fertility Clinics - they have not had to undergo any trials to prove that harvesting eggs (from a female) and reintroducing them (after fertilization) was not hazardous to the patients health.
    I was talking to a college friend of mine the other day about autologous stem cells and the FDA and he was saying that their intervention makes sense because he said there's a real concern with contamination of autologous stem cells when multiplied, cultured and stored ex vivo/in vitro.

I was more along your line of thought but I guess we'll have to wait and see.