+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tracy,

are you less likely to have severe stretching / temple side effects from having 2 smaller surgeries (2 x 2,500) than say 1 larger surgery (1 x 4,000).

Mr. 4000,

Thank you for your kind words when the OP referenced my thread. It's appreciated.

Sapcote,

You are a questionable candidate at this time. Why? Because you have indicators for aggressive future loss and you are not on Propecia. Yes, you should first see about getting back on Propecia and ease yourself back into it slowly. This is to give your body time to absorb it and get used to it.

Your donor area looks merely ok to me. The problem is that the hair is kinda messy so it's difficult to see the true density BUT my gut feeling is that your density is not so great. It's not horrible, just not great and your hair is fine. Fine hair means that you need MORE hair than the next guy to get a good result. If you want the best result you may need two surgeries to get the proper appearance of fullness but that is difficult to ascertain.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Quote Originally Posted by ParraPhil View Post
    Tracy,

are you less likely to have severe stretching / temple side effects from having 2 smaller surgeries (2 x 2,500) than say 1 larger surgery (1 x 4,000).
    I just realized that this might be a question. When I first read it, I read "you are" not "are you".

Anyways, I do not know the answer - but it does make sense that smaller procedures would prevent such an effect.

Default Thanks

Us Aussies speak a bit different down here

i think i'll wait for the transplant for a while. thanks for all the comments/suggestions, much appreciated.....lots of contradictory info though - some say i appear to have v good donor area, others say a fairly weak donor area! i'll give propecia another go, considering i had side effects before, is it advisable to start by cutting the pill in half for the first month or so to ease myself into it, or should i start on the full dosage and then only cut in half if i get the side effects?
    nizoral shampoo seems to be the shampoo most recommended., will try and give that a go too

sapcote, it's been my experience, that growing the hair long at the back only makes the front look worse. I'd shave the lot down with a 1-2 clipper.

Hey Mr 4000, could you expand on this part of your comment above, re the temple areas being more pronunced
    when you have this done, you lose scalp and depending on the cut size and location of the doctor and his technique of closing the donor area it will cause your hairline and sides to be pulled back exposing more temple area. Think about it, it only makes sense.

This is one of the least shared sides that doctors never talk about. The shifting of the scalp. Here is a quick list but everyone will have this side on some level

More likely to suffer from this

those with a tall skull (forehead)
    thin scalp
    fine hair
    aggressive doctors cutting too much
    too much tension in the donor closure

Dr. Alexander never informed me of this at all but it is the thing I am most disgusted with. It can cost the patient tons of money and grafts (if they have enough to fix this miscalculation)

Good doctors see this going in and educate the patient. they take the the grafts that limit this from happening.

i hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions

Question Temple / Hairline pulling back

Thanks Mr 4000,

I showed a picture of a freshly stitched up patient's 3,000 FUT surgery photo to a friend with no HT research behind him, and the first thing he said was: so your hairline and temples will be pulled back, thereby cancelling out the new hairline? I have been reading the forums for 3 months now, and never clicked to this before reading your comments, so thanks for the facts from the other side of the before & after photo's.

The next question I have is: would 2 smaller surgeries split up over 2 years prevent this temple/hairline pulling back, or does this bring on other complications of its own?

I think you could expect a big change from a hair transplant, but it would definitely take two procedures. You're going to need at least 5,000 grafts too. Also, I would recommend getting back on Propecia. If not, you will probably lose a lot more hair. This looks just like the beginning for you, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sapcote View Post
    ...lots of contradictory info though - some say i appear to have v good donor area, others say a fairly weak donor area!
    Better quality pictures might help clear that up.

It is a good idea for you to take good quality photos every two months while you are treating your hair loss anyways. This will help you to see if you are responding to the treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by ParraPhil View Post
    ...the first thing he said was: so your hairline and temples will be pulled back, thereby cancelling out the new hairline?
    I need to say again that this did not happen to me. None of those side effects that Mr. 4000 claims is common happened to me. I had two hair transplants of 2500+ grafts each, ten months apart. The only problem I experienced was shock loss with my second transplant, which is growing back.