+ Reply to Thread

Default Receding hairline and thinning hair, and I'm only 17

I've noticed this for the past year or two, and I keep telling my mom and she says I'm fine, and jokes about how I think my hair is thinning. The thing is, she's not the one who's pulling hair from the drain after showers, or cleaning hair off the entire sink after brushing. I'm losing a lot of hair, but she doesn't believe me. The corners of my hairline near my temple are pulling back and I'm starting to look like Jude Law with that freakin airstrip down the middle. I was in denial for a really long time since my hair is long and looks thick, then I went in to my hair stylist to get it cut short, and she pulled my hair back and was like "Uhhh, do you really want to cut it short?" and pointed at my hairline. I did since I needed it clean looking for a job, about 2 inches or so, and I could see my scalp, and my hairline looked liked a fedex truck had backed up into it.

I think it's genetic since everyone on my dad's side of the family went bald at around 17, or was left with a scruffle of hair on the top of their head... and it's hiding because everyone on my mom's side of the family had thick steel wool for hair, and it stays thick up until they're about 60. But the two genes mixed and I got to keep thick hair for a little longer that I should have, but now I can see straight through the front all the way to the back of my scalp.

Is there any treatment for this, since it's genetic? I heard about all kinds of medicine but I'm just not sure of any of it. It's really important to me as I've always had insecurities about my appearance, especially my head since even with thick hair, people would make fun of me and say that my head was abnormally large. I've also got a career in modeling, and I don't think anyone wants to hire a balding 17 year old kid to represent their brand.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by LionHeartLow View Post
    Is there any treatment for this, since it's genetic? I heard about all kinds of medicine but I'm just not sure of any of it.
    You start by talking to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss.

Your description of your hair sounds sounds like you are developing the normal mature male hair line. Since it bothers you this much, you need to be talking to a doctor about this.

Hang in there! We are all apart of the same family, so to speak.
    I know something like this can hinder your entire life.
    And it's so sad, because the outside world could care less than you're balding - But you, as a person, can't come to grips with it.

I would move fast - in terms of talking with a doctor and making a number of appointments about it. And go from there.