+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Making a final decision: restoration surgery in south FL

Hi all, this is my first post, found this forum via a Google search.

Long story short, I've been looking to get restoration surgery since around 2000-2001. Back at that time, I lived in the NYC area and saw one local practice, as well as Bosley and MHR (which isn't around anymore). I was labeled as "too young" and the progression wasn't advanced enough at the time, but it's a different story now.

Just recently, I looked into Bosley in Boca Raton FL and went for a consultation and was recommended to get around 2800 grafts. Everything seemed fine, but was wondering if anyone has had experiences with this office. This is obviously a major expense and a huge decision, so it would be nice to know if this is the right path to take before I go for it.

I tried doing due diligence on the doctor who works at this office but there isn't a stitch of information about him on the internet, which I found to be a little strange. In fact, I can't even find any testimonials for this place, either.

My biggest fear is throwing down the quoted $13,000 and seeing either no results or results I won't like.

If you could, please throw in your comments, or private message them to me if you don't want to post them here. It would be greatly appreciated. This surgery is really something I wanted to get done before Thanksgiving; if not, definitely before Christmas. Thanks in advance!

I would consider starting with doctors who are posted on this site, http://www.iahrs.org/ -- And go from there. This is a long process. I'm still considering it. My worst fear is something going wrong and wasting money.

You are very lucky that you found this site. Thefirst17 is correct that you should only go to an IAHRS doctor and that things can always go wrong. At least with an IAHRS doctor you know they are the best in the world.

If you don't know anything about your doctor you are playing Russian Roulette with your head. There is simply no reason to take that chance when there are doctors with a proven track record out there. You should do alot more research before you do anything. You'll be happy you did in the end.

Look into Dr Glenn Charles. If I was to get one done he would be one of them. I've never heard anything bad about him and everything I have heard about him is that he cares about his patients. He is a IAHRS approved.

Default Head Sliced Open

I think your biggest fear should be getting your head sliced open by someone without a solid reputation behind them (the $13,000 should be a secondary concern).

Your hair loss problem was a gradual thing - no reason your decision should be a rush job.

Thanks all...if anyone can recommend any other specific doctors in the south FL area, please do. I did a fair amount of reading on this forum and figured I could get some good recommendations, it is awfully hard to get anything via Google search (aside from message boards), I looked for hours.

Hang in there!
    We're all in the same boat and family, so to speak.
    I live in New York - So I'm still trying to find someone to confirm Dr. True/Dorin for me on this message board so I can ask them about their experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirst17 View Post
    Hang in there!
    We're all in the same boat and family, so to speak.
    I live in New York - So I'm still trying to find someone to confirm Dr. True/Dorin for me on this message board so I can ask them about their experience with them.
    Going back to NY for the surgery was a consideration for me. I went for a consultation with Dr. Bernstein there about 10 years ago when he used to be in Fort Lee NJ, looks like he's even more famous now than back then.

I went to Dr. Alan Bauman in Boca Raton, Florida. I'm from Maryland, but I flew down to Florida to get my work done from Dr. Bauman. I live closer to NY, but Dr. Bauman is well known for his work. I've been to Dr. Bauman 3 times and the hair always grows! I have never heard of anyone where the hair doesn't grow (well maybe a few cases at Bosley & some unethical doctors). Anyway, I got great results with Dr. Bauman and he does Skype consults as well. If you want to see my before and after results let me know.

My hair is awesome and it's all the work of Dr. Bauman.

It's worth a consult since you live in Boca and Dr. Bauman is right on Powerline Drive, I think. Anyway, that's my input.

Here's my hair today:

Last edited by JustJoe; 10-28-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: attach current picture