+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lost all the hair on the top of my head after the HT,,shock loss and what a shock

I had a transplant done by Dr E Epstein in Richmond Va.in mid Aug.2969 grafts.2 weeks later I lost almost all the hair I already had on the top of my head.shock loss is what they said.I am very freaked but was told it will come back,,,is there a chance it won't and when will I see the new hair?which should come back first,,,the hair from the shock loss or the transplanted hair?has anyone else used Dr E Epstein at Bosley in Richmond.i liked the doc,,,very easy going and the 8 hour HT was very easy no problems although the top of my head is still numb,,,almost 10 weeks now,,,but waiting for the hair to come is driving me crazy,,,,is it going to come back as well as all my native hair that came out two weeks later,,,,now I am bald and before it was just thinning,,,,I think I can feel them,,,just can't see them.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

If the original hairs you had in the transplanted area were thinning and not healthy terminal hairs it is not suprising that you had a good amount of shock. The shocked hairs should come back just before or at the same time as the transplanted hairs. Those that are gone permanantly most likely would not have been around much longer even without the transplant. Dr. E Epstein is a very good hair restoration physician and in a few months the new hairs will start to grow.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by David s View Post
    ...which should come back first,,,the hair from the shock loss or the transplanted hair?
    I had a great deal of shock loss with my second transplant. In my case, the hair lost from shock has been coming back at the same time as the transplanted hair has been coming in.

You can probably expect an added six months before you know how much good the transplant did for you. Typically, you see almost half at the six month mark and most of the rest at the 12 month mark. So if you had shock loss, it will likely be 18 months before you see most of the result of the surgery. My shock loss was so extensive that I am not expecting to be able to see the final result of my second surgery until between 18 and 24 months.

I really lost a lot to shock. For a while there I looked worse than I did before I had my first transplant. I was crying for weeks - but it is growing back... Now my hair looks better than it did after my first transplant – and it is improving.

Default Shock loss bald now

Thanks for the reassurance that it will come back,,,what a shock to lose all the hair on top of my head after the HT. would minoxidil help it come back faster. I am taking some drug that starts with an F for about 10 weeks now. It is a small blue pill 5 mg and I take half each day

...would minoxidil help it come back faster.
    I don't know. I use Minoxidil and the laser comb. The quality of the hair that is growing back is very good - and my hair does grow pretty fast in general. The filling in is what's taking so long. losing so much to shock is making it take longer. But it is growing back. I can now go out in public without a wearing a wig. It is not as dense as I would like, but it is a whole lot better than before.

I am taking some drug that starts with an F for about 10 weeks now. It is a small blue pill 5 mg and I take half each day
    That seems like a rather high dose (2.5mg per day). Did your doctor prescribe it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I don't know. I use Minoxidil and the laser comb. The quality of the hair that is growing back is very good - and my hair does grow pretty fast in general. The filling in is what's taking so long. losing so much to shock is making it take longer. But it is growing back. I can now go out in public without a wearing a wig. It is not as dense as I would like, but it is a whole lot better than before.

That seems like a rather high dose (2.5mg per day). Did your doctor prescribe it that way?
    The prescription says take one a day but Dr. Epstein told to only take a half.

Thanks Dr Charles I feel a lot better now after reading your comments.

The prescription says take one a day but Dr. Epstein told to only take a half.
    Are you sure the doctor didn't tell you to split the pill into four pieces and take one piece (1.25mg) per day? It might be worth a phone call to double check.

I'll check that with him,,,,,thanks

Do you know how long my head will be numb .it has been 10 weeks and I feel like I have helmet head,,,,also it itches sometimes but scratching does not help.very weird.