+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by melwou7245 View Post
    Bud, changing your lifestyle to try and lessen your hair loss is a fool's errand. Most people argue that being fit means you'll have better circulation on your scalp, which will lead to the treatments being more effective.

The only exception to this is juicing. The damage done with that is very, very extensive. Even worse you don't even realize it until a few weeks afterwards.

All I can say is - get 5% minoxidil, Niz shampoo and a decent shampoo/conditioner. That's it. No need to break the bank. Use that for at least 6 months and gauge if you improved. If not, add other treatments. Leave the pills for last, because I promise you it will throw your hormones out of whack.
    Of course juicing is the worst thing you can do. People that use hgh, testosterone boosters, and even hormone supps are basically asking to lose hair. I dont use steroids or anything other then drink a protein shake once per day (which i think everyone should do but thats another story). My problem lies from lifting weights because it creates more testosterone in the body, i dont want to slow down lifting weights but i do not want to go bald either. Doing cardio exercises or sports does not create as much test in the human body

Im already using niz 2% and i also have head and shoulders zinc shampoo/conditioner in 1 bottle. But ye i dont plan on using any pills or drugs im only 20 i dont want to permanently f myself up.

Quote Originally Posted by goldbondmafia View Post
    Okay sounds good, after the Rogaine you have a leave in treatment though? I thought it was just rogaine in morning then mino in the evening? Will this stuff make my hair look greasy or anything like that when I leave the rogaine foam during the day?
    Just so you know and to prevent possible confusion, Rogaine foam is Minoxidil, just the name brand version of it - and in a different form, foam instead of liquid. Rogaine foam is very stealth. No one can tell it is on your scalp. Liquid Rogaine (and generic liquid Minoxidil) shows until it is dry - and it takes too long to dry for morning convenience. Many women use men's Rogaine foam in the morning for that very reason.

I use a leave-in treatment to protect my hair from the heat of my styling tools; hair dryer, curling iron and straitening iron. Since my hair is long, the leave-in treatment also prevents fly-aways. It has nothing to do with Rogaine. It's because I have long hair and I like it to look as pretty as I can.

If you go to the Herbal and Alternative Health Treatment section the first topic sticky’d at the top of the page is “hair is growing back that hasn’t in five year” by oldwood. Basically he uses;

Saw palmetto – 2 pills per day
    Nizoral 2% - 2-3 times per week
    Coconut oil – applies to his scalp nightly
    Emu oil – applies to his scalp nightly (and hairline)

This guy had his hair thinning out on his head and a receded hairline which in months he brought back to normal and thicker than ever.
    Honestly, that is not very realistic. Though I suppose some people might get lucky - if they catch hair loss in time and start doing something about it right away. Hair follicles that have gone dormant can stay that way for a number of years before they die. I don't know how many years that is - but it probably depends on the persons genetics. Anyways, dormant hair follicles can be re-started with stimulation. Dead follicles can never again grow hair. Maybe he got really lucky and caught it while the weakened follicles were still only dormant but had not yet died.

I need to repeat what I said about the frequency of using Nizoral. Nizoral is great, but it can damage your hair if you use it too often. The 2% should not be used more often than once per week unless a doctor has specifically directed you to use it more often than that. The 1% "A-D" version can be used every three to four days without causing damage. You should also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner when you use Nizoral. Nizoral can also dry your hair out. It is a good idea to condition every day.

I had never heard about using coconut or emu oil before this thread. I have heard about massaging Aloe Vera gel with vitamin E into your scalp - but you don't leave that in for long. I actually do this myself before my evening shower. I don't know if it actually helps - but I do like how it feels to massage my scalp. Fruit of the Earth makes an Aloe Vera gel with vitamin E mixed in. I just water it down so it can be sprayed out of a spray bottle and use it that way. Otherwise it's just too thick to massage with.

Im already using niz 2% and i also have head and shoulders zinc shampoo/conditioner in 1 bottle. But ye i dont plan on using any pills or drugs im only 20 i dont want to permanently f myself up.
    Hey bud, here's my personal advice influenced my own hairloss story. 3 Years ago my hair started thinning in the crown around the swirl, much like you are right now in the pictures you've posted. I was 23. I didn't do anything for a year, hoping that it won't advance, or progress. Hoping im not like the others who are balding or are completely bald ... simply because I wasn't at that stage. In other words, I was acknowledging that there is a change in the thickness of my crown and yes I knew i was balding ... yet i was still in denial ... because it wasn't THAT pronounced at the time ... and thus no one would notice. Try and guess what happened?

A year later my hair got thinner in the crown, to the point where I couldn't fool myself anymore (mind you, no one else actually noticed, including my gf of 3 years, my friends and family to this day) but I did. You must know what im talking about since you're facing the same situation as it seems. So here's what I did after wasting 1 year, alienating myself with useless natural hairloss remedies such as natural oil scalp massages, shampoos, etc.....that show no results except make you feel better while you're actually loosing more hair.

I finally went to see my family doctor and a world renowned hair transplant surgeon ... both of which prescribed me Propecia .... But I didn't take it ... hoping for other less invasive alternatives, as I was worried about the side effects everyone raves about.

Got on Rogaine 2% x 2, 1 pill of organic Multivitamins and 1 pill of MSM 1000 and Nizoral %2 every second day, mg and massaged my head daily for 5 minutes daily ... I shed for a month, and shaved my head to make the application of Rogaine easier. Then my hair stopped falling out completely.

The result. 8 Months later I had the dark thick hair and full crown I had when I was 16 (kept my head shaved for about 6 months). It was as if a miracle happened indeed. No spot of baldness whatsoever ... and without the use of Propecia.

I quickly got used to it ... it was as if i was never lost any hair. I felt incredible, didn't think about it anymore ... I felt like i cured and beat MPB. I was an ignorant fool. My hair started falling out again 1-2 months after noticing how great it was. I thought it was just a periodical shed, as my head was full with thick hair and no signs of balding. I grew my hair long for almost a year ... sported a great haircut, while the shed continued. About a month it finally stopped, luckily .... but at the same time, ive noticed how thin my crown has gotten. It's practically to where I started. The rest of the hair is still good and i believe, better than before I started the "regime".

Today I've finally went back to my doctor and got the prescription for Propecia. I'm about to finally do something I should have done a year and half ago, when I noticed i have regained all my hair back and I have a full head of great hair that I should try to preserve as best as I possibly can.

Chances are I would still have the hair I did just over a year ago if I was on Propecia (given it worked for me with no serious side effects).

SO as a final thought and wrap up to my personal story, what I'm trying to say is ... when you will look at yourself in the mirror, and notice a big bald nice clean spot at the top of your crown, you'll be MUCH more willing and MOST likely to get on Propecia and do ANYTHING possible to save your hair .... BUUUUUUUUT, BIG BUT, it will be too late to get all your back. Thus, at that point, you will be taking the risk of being on Propecia, and risk all the possible side effects, while the possible gains from the drug will be next to ZERO ( as you will most likely just maintain what you already have and you are not happy with).

SO, again, for your hair's sake .... make the choice of being on Propecia, or not EVER being on Propecia now, while you still have hair to keep. After it's gone, you'll be taking Propecia just for fun.

I told myself I'll wait a year to see what happens. I got all my hair back. So i said **** Propecia ... wish I didn't as I will be getting on it at the end of this month anyway, so really... no difference. The end result is the same. I'm getting on it ... except I have less hair.

I'll once again expect something next to a miracle and full crown as It has happened in the past. People still cant tell im balding and would tell me I'm crazy when I tell them (except fam and doctors) .... What can I say, It's not that advanced yet and I'm good with styling my hair.

Now that you have my story, and know where I am and coming from in terms of hair ..... here's my own personal recipe for success as a summary.

Rogaine 5% (2% worked miracles for me somehow - make what you want out of it)

Nizoral 2% (every 2-3 day )

MSM 1000 mg daily

Multivitamin Complex

Massage scalp

And wish I already have tried Propecia ... but that's changing starting next month.

PS. I didn't try Propecia because I was scared of the side effects, and risked losing my hair. Now that i've lost part of it, I'm more scared of losing more hair than I am of the POSSIBLE side effects. All doctors prescribe it, I've seen incredible growth results and success stories from people who have been on it. Some swear by eat after being on it for 15-20 years and claiming it has maintained their since they first started balding at ages as young as 20.

I hope it works and there are no side effects. I hope it does the same for you if you decide to get on it, and I hope you find a solution to your MPB. This is my advice based on my own personal experience, success and failures, and research. Whatever you make out of it and whatever patch you choose to go is up to you. But know that time is hair, and emu oils, and essential oil scalp massages will just distract you from curing the problem. It's like you doing nothing, but pretending. If you are going to do nothing about your MPB, then start getting used to the idea that you will be bald in the near future and learn how to be ok with that. Otherwise, take action ... you've got tons of hair left to fight for ;-) Good luck

and to avoid future criticism ... I'm not here to debate any of the approaches I've taken to fight MPB. I don't believe they are a universal cure for all, in fact, far from it. Neither do I believe I've done everything the "right" way or that some of these methods are guaranteed to yield results. I just wanted to share my story ... and make a point, which to restate and better rephrase myself is ... ....

Do all you can to save the hair you have while it's there, because it will be next to impossible to get it back when it will be gone, despite your despair and willingness to try just about anything at that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Just so you know and to prevent possible confusion, Rogaine foam is Minoxidil, just the name brand version of it - and in a different form, foam instead of liquid. Rogaine foam is very stealth. No one can tell it is on your scalp. Liquid Rogaine (and generic liquid Minoxidil) shows until it is dry - and it takes too long to dry for morning convenience. Many women use men's Rogaine foam in the morning for that very reason.

I use a leave-in treatment to protect my hair from the heat of my styling tools; hair dryer, curling iron and straitening iron. Since my hair is long, the leave-in treatment also prevents fly-aways. It has nothing to do with Rogaine. It's because I have long hair and I like it to look as pretty as I can.
    Ok I understand what your saying now thank you for clearing that up for me I was a bit confused

Honestly, that is not very realistic. Though I suppose some people might get lucky - if they catch hair loss in time and start doing something about it right away. Hair follicles that have gone dormant can stay that way for a number of years before they die. I don't know how many years that is - but it probably depends on the persons genetics. Anyways, dormant hair follicles can be re-started with stimulation. Dead follicles can never again grow hair. Maybe he got really lucky and caught it while the weakened follicles were still only dormant but had not yet died.

I need to repeat what I said about the frequency of using Nizoral. Nizoral is great, but it can damage your hair if you use it too often. The 2% should not be used more often than once per week unless a doctor has specifically directed you to use it more often than that. The 1% "A-D" version can be used every three to four days without causing damage. You should also use a good quality moisturizing conditioner when you use Nizoral. Nizoral can also dry your hair out. It is a good idea to condition every day.

I had never heard about using coconut or emu oil before this thread. I have heard about massaging Aloe Vera gel with vitamin E into your scalp - but you don't leave that in for long. I actually do this myself before my evening shower. I don't know if it actually helps - but I do like how it feels to massage my scalp. Fruit of the Earth makes an Aloe Vera gel with vitamin E mixed in. I just water it down so it can be sprayed out of a spray bottle and use it that way. Otherwise it's just too thick to massage with.
    Thats what I am starting to believe too that he just got really lucky and it worked well for him too. I was very impressed with the hair he got though and the fact he brought some of his hairline back, just wanted to see your opinion on the matter.

I also heard the aloe vera and or vitamin E is great for your hair so I dont think it will hurt adding that to my regiment as well, ive heard many people using it.

As far as the Nizoral 2% usage, I used it 2 per week - Mondays and Thursdays because ive always had a dry and now itchy scalp. I can always bring it down to once per week like you recommend tho

I will talk to my doctor as well but after speaking with you and using your info Ill start using;

Morning

1. Shower with Head and shoulders Zinc shampoo/conditioner in 1 (mondays and thursdays nizoral then rinse in out with the Head and shoulders shampoo/conditioner combo right after)
    2. Apply (2 or 5% i have to decide still) Rogaine foam after dried/damp hair

Night
    1. Aloe vera with Vit E oil on scalp before shower for maybe 15-20 mins
    2. wash it out with shampoo/conditioner?
    3. apply liquid mino before bed

If anything i could not wash my hair in the morning and just do it at night? Sorry ive always been very specific with regiments

Quote Originally Posted by 1Aristotle View Post
    Hey bud, here's my personal advice influenced my own hairloss story. 3 Years ago my hair started thinning in the crown around the swirl, much like you are right now in the pictures you've posted. I was 23. I didn't do anything for a year, hoping that it won't advance, or progress. Hoping im not like the others who are balding or are completely bald ... simply because I wasn't at that stage. In other words, I was acknowledging that there is a change in the thickness of my crown and yes I knew i was balding ... yet i was still in denial ... because it wasn't THAT pronounced at the time ... and thus no one would notice. Try and guess what happened?

A year later my hair got thinner in the crown, to the point where I couldn't fool myself anymore (mind you, no one else actually noticed, including my gf of 3 years, my friends and family to this day) but I did. You must know what im talking about since you're facing the same situation as it seems. So here's what I did after wasting 1 year, alienating myself with useless natural hairloss remedies such as natural oil scalp massages, shampoos, etc.....that show no results except make you feel better while you're actually loosing more hair.

I finally went to see my family doctor and a world renowned hair transplant surgeon ... both of which prescribed me Propecia .... But I didn't take it ... hoping for other less invasive alternatives, as I was worried about the side effects everyone raves about.

Got on Rogaine 2% x 2, 1 pill of organic Multivitamins and 1 pill of MSM 1000 and Nizoral %2 every second day, mg and massaged my head daily for 5 minutes daily ... I shed for a month, and shaved my head to make the application of Rogaine easier. Then my hair stopped falling out completely.

The result. 8 Months later I had the dark thick hair and full crown I had when I was 16 (kept my head shaved for about 6 months). It was as if a miracle happened indeed. No spot of baldness whatsoever ... and without the use of Propecia.
    Thats pretty incredible story yourself though. Did you shave your head for 6 months completely of just a 3 or 4 buzzed cut? I was planning on doing the same when I had the natural oils stuck in my mind as an alternative lol i will be changing that routine up for sure. I will definetly be using the rogaine now instead of any other alternative to see how it goes.

Im assuming you also applied once in the morning and once before bed like Tracy did? Also do you have pictures that you would be willing to share?

I quickly got used to it ... it was as if i was never lost any hair. I felt incredible, didn't think about it anymore ... I felt like i cured and beat MPB. I was an ignorant fool. My hair started falling out again 1-2 months after noticing how great it was. I thought it was just a periodical shed, as my head was full with thick hair and no signs of balding. I grew my hair long for almost a year ... sported a great haircut, while the shed continued. About a month it finally stopped, luckily .... but at the same time, ive noticed how thin my crown has gotten. It's practically to where I started. The rest of the hair is still good and i believe, better than before I started the "regime".

Today I've finally went back to my doctor and got the prescription for Propecia. I'm about to finally do something I should have done a year and half ago, when I noticed i have regained all my hair back and I have a full head of great hair that I should try to preserve as best as I possibly can.

Chances are I would still have the hair I did just over a year ago if I was on Propecia (given it worked for me with no serious side effects).

SO as a final thought and wrap up to my personal story, what I'm trying to say is ... when you will look at yourself in the mirror, and notice a big bald nice clean spot at the top of your crown, you'll be MUCH more willing and MOST likely to get on Propecia and do ANYTHING possible to save your hair .... BUUUUUUUUT, BIG BUT, it will be too late to get all your back. Thus, at that point, you will be taking the risk of being on Propecia, and risk all the possible side effects, while the possible gains from the drug will be next to ZERO ( as you will most likely just maintain what you already have and you are not happy with).

SO, again, for your hair's sake .... make the choice of being on Propecia, or not EVER being on Propecia now, while you still have hair to keep. After it's gone, you'll be taking Propecia just for fun.

I told myself I'll wait a year to see what happens. I got all my hair back. So i said **** Propecia ... wish I didn't as I will be getting on it at the end of this month anyway, so really... no difference. The end result is the same. I'm getting on it ... except I have less hair.

I'll once again expect something next to a miracle and full crown as It has happened in the past. People still cant tell im balding and would tell me I'm crazy when I tell them (except fam and doctors) .... What can I say, It's not that advanced yet and I'm good with styling my hair.
    Im a bit confused about this section. When you say that you gained a nice thick head of hair after using the rogaine the first time you said you started to feel like you were cured and beat MPB. At this point when you thought you beat baldness because you had a nice head of hair did you stop using the rogaine regiment??? Is that why your hair began to shed because you said **** it I have nice hair im done with the regiment?

OR are you saying that at the peak of your hair and its thickness you just wish you started the propecia to preserve your hair? Cause i thought if you continue using the rogaine it would preserve it unless you stopped after the first 8 months of your hair regrowth.

Also when you started shedding did the rogaine and you old forumla (quoted below ) become useless for you somehow?

PS. I didn't try Propecia because I was scared of the side effects, and risked losing my hair. Now that i've lost part of it, I'm more scared of losing more hair than I am of the POSSIBLE side effects. All doctors prescribe it, I've seen incredible growth results and success stories from people who have been on it. Some swear by eat after being on it for 15-20 years and claiming it has maintained their since they first started balding at ages as young as 20.

I hope it works and there are no side effects. I hope it does the same for you if you decide to get on it, and I hope you find a solution to your MPB. This is my advice based on my own personal experience, success and failures, and research. Whatever you make out of it and whatever patch you choose to go is up to you. But know that time is hair, and emu oils, and essential oil scalp massages will just distract you from curing the problem. It's like you doing nothing, but pretending. If you are going to do nothing about your MPB, then start getting used to the idea that you will be bald in the near future and learn how to be ok with that. Otherwise, take action ... you've got tons of hair left to fight for ;-) Good luck

I understand your current situation of using the propecia now to further lose more hair. I personally will try to use the rogaine/mino first like you did to get my hair back to a nice thickness without the propecia for now. If my hair goes back to 95% thickness or best it can I hope by applying rogaine daily or even 6 days per week it will maintain my hair

I dont want to get a full head of thick hair then the rogaine to stop working (if thats what happened to you). if that does happen to me and i notice anything i would be willing to try propecia.

As soon as I started thinning out at the top of my head i started using the useless oils, now that my crown is starting im going to get the rogaine/mino like tracey and yourself recommended.

And thank you so much for you post i really appreciate it and hope the propecia works well for you, chances are it will with your luck it will work great.

If anything i could not wash my hair in the morning and just do it at night? Sorry ive always been very specific with regiments
    I only wash my hair in the evening. In my morning shower I just wet my hair down to cure pillow hair. It's also easier for me to massage Rogaine foam or liquid Minoxidil into my scalp when my hair is towel dry damp.

I work out right after work, so when I get home from my workout I massage my scalp with Aloe Vera Gel that has vitamin E mixed in. Then I eat my dinner. I take my evening shower and wash my hair after dinner, then massage liquid Minoxidil into my scalp. I use my laser comb on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so on those days I massage liquid Monixidil in after I laser my scalp.

The only medicated shampoo I use is Nizoral A-D. My regular daily shampoo is Aveeno "Nourish & Moisturize" shampoo.

If your doctor told you to use Nizoral 2% twice per week when he or she gave you the prescription, you should probably do what your doctor says. Otherwise, once per week is enough.

I only wash my hair in the evening. In my morning shower I just wet my hair down to cure pillow hair. It's also easier for me to massage Rogaine foam or liquid Minoxidil into my scalp when my hair is towel dry damp.

I work out right after work, so when I get home from my workout I massage my scalp with Aloe Vera Gel that has vitamin E mixed in. Then I eat my dinner. I take my evening shower and wash my hair after dinner, then massage liquid Minoxidil into my scalp. I use my laser comb on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so on those days I massage liquid Monixidil in after I laser my scalp.

The only medicated shampoo I use is Nizoral A-D. My regular daily shampoo is Aveeno "Nourish & Moisturize" shampoo.

If your doctor told you to use Nizoral 2% twice per week when he or she gave you the prescription, you should probably do what your doctor says. Otherwise, once per week is enough.
    Thanks for the response Tracy. My Nizoral 2% was purchased over the counter, its not prescribed in Canada I can buy it almost anywhere, atleast here in Ontario. Last year when my hair started thinning (around Jan-Feb) i also noticed i had terrible and i mean terrible dandruff. If i put my hands through my hair fast white flakes where EVERYWHERE. It must have been the cold weather here in Canada or just me not using proper shampoo/conditioner and keeping my head warm.

Also Artistotle I sent you a PM

Sorry Tracy, did your doctor discuss potential effects of using the laser therapy, even the laser comb on your brain or is it completely safe?

No need to say you are sorry. I did ask the doctor about that. The safety of the laser comb was determined during the trials that lead to FDA clearance.

I have been using my laser comb as directed for four years. If it were causing any kind of problem, I would likely know it by now.