+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Best way to style your hair while treating hair loss

So while I am using my treatments (propecia/rogaine) I have a daily routine that I have found makes what hair I have look 100 times better. I just wanted to share it with those of you who may have thinning hair and want to know how to make it look better daily while you are treating it.

First, use a shampoo that doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate. I use burts bees and it works great. SLS can attribute to hair loss or thinning hair. Granted, it is probably a minimal effect, but in our situation we cant take any chances. Any organic or natural shampoo or medicated shampoo is a good call. Avoid cheap products like herbal essences or suave. These are LOADED with acid and other harmful chemicals.

After you shower and apply your rogaine, let it dry and then use bumble and bumble thickening spray. Like most volume enhancing sprays or shampoos, it works best when you blowdry it. Volumizing products are best used with heat. Rogaine.com states that blow-drying does NOT work against rogaine. Just let it dry as much as possible and use your hair dryer on a low setting. I have used many products, but bumble and bumble + hairdryer is the best by far.

http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/produ...PRODUCT_ID=224

after that, I use an aveda pomade. I use it around my hairline and part to reduce fly aways and to help my hairline look more consistent and less thinning.

http://www.aveda.com/product/5310/16...eam/index.tmpl

I am an anal guy when it comes to my hair, and the daily struggle to make it look presentable and to minimize the look of my thinning. I hope this can help anyone.

Does the B&B hold the hair from getting messed up from wind, etc?

absolutely. its been a godsend for me. like i said though, it works best with a blow dryer.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Thanks for the tip. I will pass this option on to my patients.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I dont have a hair dryer or use volumiser but my hairdresser uses them on me when I get a haircut. And I do come out there very happy with the result. He is under strict instruction to only cut the hair at the back and sides of my head. I haven't had the hair cut on top for a long time.

Another tip I can share is that salt water also thickens the look of your hair and if there's enough salt in there it will get quite hard and the wind won't blow it around as much.

I live near the beach and as summer is approaching here I'll be getting down there as much as possible. Just as long as none of my friends see me while my hair is still wet! We'll have to take it in turns to swim. I'll use the excuse that someone needs to keep an eye on our valuables. LOL.

I apply Rogaine and don't think it works as well with all that salt in your hair though. When I do wash it after a few days of swimming my hair does seem to come out in clumps as well which is disconcerting. But anyway, for a thicker look, salty hair is a winner. You can also buy 'sea spray' hair styling products which give the appearance of beach hair. Not sure how well that works on thin hair.

Thanks for the tips, gonna try some of these products. I've been using a high street brand of "thickening" hair products, but not sure whether the work or it's psychosomatic. This will be a good test.

Maybe it just me but I really don't understand as I don't know how you are styling your hair, what look you are going for. Spiky, fringe..? Do you have a photo?

I have stayed away from hairspray because it makes the hair hard and worries me that you have to wash it out every night and due to the pulling could increase hair loss?

Also, how do you find your hair after applying rogaine? Some days it can be hard to style and the greasiness shows the scalp. My hair looks way thicker when I don't wash it (atm I am washing it 2-3 times a week).

What do you look for in gel and wax? I heard something about making sure you use water soluble product. I am using American Crew Fiber at the moment but again I am scared to put too much in as it is sticky and I don't want to pull out hairs

Quote Originally Posted by rupe View Post
    Also, how do you find your hair after applying rogaine? Some days it can be hard to style and the greasiness shows the scalp.
    Have you thought about trying Rogaine foam?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Have you thought about trying Rogaine foam?
    Not really, I think it may be harder to apply. My hair is sort of long. I am still experiencing a lot of shedding though... not necessarily induced from minoxodil (who actually knows) so wouldn't want to go through that again if change products even though its the same active ingredient I believe some people experience shedding when changing brands.