+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Worried: 3 months into a transplant and no new growth and finesteride not working?

I had another transplant about 3 months ago and so far, I am not seeing any new growth. Anybody have any experiences where it took longer than 3 months for the hair to grow? I had the platelet option done and was told I could see growth within a month but it wasn't for certain.

I also switched to finesteride about a month ago and now I am noticing about 25 hairs on my pillow case after just two days of sleeping on freshly cleaned cases. Prior to this, for years when I was on propecia, I would usually see a couple of hairs after a week or so.
    This has really got me going crazy. Is it possible the finesteride isn't working? Or, can there be shock fallout 2 to 4 months after a hair transplant procedure?

I didn't bother to check my pillow case the first month and a half after this latest hair transplant while I was still using propecia to see if I was losing hairs during sleeping so I have no idea why I'm seeing so much hair on my pillow case.

Quote Originally Posted by kramer View Post
    I had another transplant about 3 months ago and so far, I am not seeing any new growth. Anybody have any experiences where it took longer than 3 months for the hair to grow? I had the platelet option done and was told I could see growth within a month but it wasn't for certain.

I also switched to finesteride about a month ago and now I am noticing about 25 hairs on my pillow case after just two days of sleeping on freshly cleaned cases. Prior to this, for years when I was on propecia, I would usually see a couple of hairs after a week or so.
    This has really got me going crazy. Is it possible the finesteride isn't working? Or, can there be shock fallout 2 to 4 months after a hair transplant procedure?

I didn't bother to check my pillow case the first month and a half after this latest hair transplant while I was still using propecia to see if I was losing hairs during sleeping so I have no idea why I'm seeing so much hair on my pillow case.
    Propecia is Finasteride, former the meck's brand name, latter the active ingredient name.

I've heard transplanted graphs could take up to 9 months or so to grow, and they may fall out initially post operation.

Check with you doctor

It's far too early to worry. 3 months post-op is the time when the grafts just begin to sprout. You should be seeing them now but don't expect to see them all growing or to have anything like the full cosmetic effect yet.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by uninformed View Post
    Propecia is Finasteride, former the meck's brand name, latter the active ingredient name.

I've heard transplanted graphs could take up to 9 months or so to grow, and they may fall out initially post operation.

Check with you doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    It's far too early to worry. 3 months post-op is the time when the grafts just begin to sprout. You should be seeing them now but don't expect to see them all growing or to have anything like the full cosmetic effect yet.
    Thanks uninformed and mattj...

Any theory as to why I'm seeing lots of hairs on my pillow case? I'm hoping that this is temporary shock out from the new hairs coming in...

Kramer can i ask,how long your hair shedded for? The transplanted hairs site? I had my op 3.5 weeks ago and starting to shed now,just wondered how long and did all transplanted hairs shed or some stay? I was told 4 months until i see a growth change,as wayne rooney(massive soccer player in uk) only took 3 or 4 months hes on tele everyday in england and we had the same surgeon so id not worry too much i think ur maybe excited at seeing results like i will be soon

The initial session will come in so slowly and gradually that you become so used to it that it becomes the normal and YOU will not necessarily notice the change bang on month 3! - The realisation takes time!! It is only until you compare pre op pics that you actually realise how far you have come and have a glimpse at what your situation actally was.

You will scrutinise your results constantly, inspecting it every chance you get - and feel that you will always want more hair - Even at month 5/6/7 patients are planning their 2nd session but my advice is WAIT and allow for the first session to reach its max potential

It doesn't matter how many times i say it to people or write it they still feel that their growth has stopped at month 4/5/6...... then come month 10/11/12 they say - wow you were right.. I did get more.

Growth doesn't stop for many many months - it can take upto 18 months to reach the max potential from your HT so why guys are convinced after 5 months their growth has stopped is just beyond me
    If you have received your HT from one of the reputable clinics around today then your growth will continue upto a year along with a great deal of maturing.

Many Dr's have commented on time scales for growth and established posters as well who have all been through the HT process and they all agree that you need to assess your HT at at least the 1 year mark in terms of reaching full growth.

You the HT recipient will not see the growth just occur - it takes months for the realisation to kick in. It is important to take pictures at monthly intervals to clearly see the progression.

Its important that guys realise that HT's are a commitment long term and you must realise that you will always want to refine your hair and wish it were thicker/fuller/denser - This is the nature of hair.

Hair greed

Grow well everyone!!!!

Use this topic to help :http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...230&highlight=

Best
    Spex
    Last edited by Spex; 10-20-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Kramer, I feel your pain but can only suggest patience as this is not an overnight or indeed an exact process. Today is my 3 month anniversary from my 3750 Grafts at the Ziering Medical centre in Hammersmith, although I was lucky enough not to experience a large volume of shedding my grafts have yet to start growing (more than maybe a couple of mm) but everything I read and everything I've been told tells me that no decisions as to the success of these procedures can be made until after the 12 month mark. If you have real concerns as to your condition I would suggest you contact the company who carried out the procedure and make an appointment to go see them. I have felt no need so far but take comfort in the knowledge that I have the option to do just that should I expirence any problems. All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ukman View Post
    Kramer can i ask,how long your hair shedded for?
    Maybe 3 to 4 weeks.

The transplanted hairs site? I had my op 3.5 weeks ago and starting to shed now,just wondered how long and did all transplanted hairs shed or some stay?
    Most of the implanted hairs are gone though there are a few stragglers here and there.

As to my concern with shedding, it's not the transplanted hairs but my actual growing hair. This is what I have been seeing on my pillow case, hairs about 1 to 2 inches long.

I was told 4 months until i see a growth change,as wayne rooney(massive soccer player in uk) only took 3 or 4 months hes on tele everyday in england and we had the same surgeon so id not worry too much i think ur maybe excited at seeing results like i will be soon
    Thanks for the info. One of the reasons why I'm concerned is that my other 3 procedures all started growing at just about 3 months to the day.

Quote Originally Posted by hairhunter View Post
    Kramer, I feel your pain but can only suggest patience as this is not an overnight or indeed an exact process. Today is my 3 month anniversary from my 3750 Grafts at the Ziering Medical centre in Hammersmith, although I was lucky enough not to experience a large volume of shedding my grafts have yet to start growing (more than maybe a couple of mm) but everything I read and everything I've been told tells me that no decisions as to the success of these procedures can be made until after the 12 month mark. If you have real concerns as to your condition I would suggest you contact the company who carried out the procedure and make an appointment to go see them. I have felt no need so far but take comfort in the knowledge that I have the option to do just that should I expirence any problems. All the best to you.
    Thanks. I've contacted them and will go in to see them in a few weeks.

Good luck with your HT.

Well, it's been almost 4 months and so far, nothing. (I haven't visited the doc yet, been busy...)

At least twice in the last 2 weeks when I have had an itch where some of the transplants were put, I ended up feeling a little bump and when I checked what it was, it looked like a dried follicle because both times, there was a quarter inch piece of hair attached along with the bump and the bump was sort of a skinny and long piece of skin.

Another concern I have is that I took a bunch of pics the days after the transplant and started counting the number of implants and while I haven't finished, from what I have counted and from what areas I have left, I can't see where I got anywhere near the number of implants I was told I got. It looks like I got about 60% of what was said to me.

What happens if I count the implants and the number is way less than what I paid for and what I was told I got? Is it time to get a lawyer?