X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p0ckets02
    • Oct 2011

Need HT Advice. Scheduling it soon!

Hello everyone,

I just registered moments ago. Wish I had done so sooner.

I just had my consultation with Dr. Law in NYC a few days ago. It was great. I got every question I asked answered in detail.. he seems very knowledgeable, personable, and he really listened to my hair story before deciding whether this was something I should consider.

After an hour and a half of talking shop, he concluded that my 23 year old (nearly 24) Norwood 5 head of hair could seriously benefit from.

The price was right -- that's important to me... but more important is the expected quality of the end results of the surgery. I would be crushed if it went badly.

Using procerin, Nisim shampoo, and soon to be Propecia as well, I believe I have effectively stopped my hairloss. I will be taking some more time before I commit to the surgery to see if my claims holds up for another couple of months.

Now to my question... Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Thomas Law's abilities first hand? His HT photos seem pretty damn nice for the most part. I just need some more info or opinions before I commit.

Thank you, anyone, and everyone for your time and responses.
  • DAVE52
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by p0ckets02
    ... Does anyone have any experience with Dr. Thomas Law's abilities first hand? His HT photos seem pretty damn nice for the most part. I just need some more info or opinions before I commit. .
    Nope Never heard of the Dr.
    Be careful all doctor's show pics of their best results
    Aslk if you can speak to someon who has had work done and see first hand

But my best advice would be to buzz it off and get used to it - iy will save you a ton of $, anxiety , stress for the remainder of your life

Comment

• mattj
      Doctor Representative
      • Oct 2009

I'm not saying the doctor you met with isn't a good one - he might be great - but it's extremely important to choose a surgeon who has a proven ability to consistently produce great HT results. This should be a higher consideration than the costs involved. I'm not saying price isn't important, but a hair transplant can be costly, both emotionally and financially, if you need to undergo further work to repair a bad result.

The NYC area is not lacking in reputable surgeons whose patients post their own results to the forums, making it possible to see cases other than those chosen for the doctor's website.

Also, you have an advanced balding pattern for a man of your age. Did you talk at length about what could (and should) be achieved with the procedure?
      I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• SBTRKT
        • Aug 2011

Have you considered the possible side effects that come with using propecia? i would advise that you take a look at the updated prescription information and the website (which is down) and has a very bold link to FDA complaints.

2007 Swedish TV documentary on undocumented Post-Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) permanent sexual side effects -- which can continue indefinitely after stopp...

Dr. Michael S. Irwig from George Washington University has published a study on persistent Finasteride (Propecia) side effects in young men aged 21-46.Study ...

Health Watch: Popular Drug Warninghttp://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/05/03/health-watch-popular-drug-warning/May 3, 2011 -- PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A grievi...

Finasteride:

Preventing erections and priapism

To our knowledge, this is the first study demonstrating that the use of finasteride could decrease and control the number of priapism recurrences in patients with sickle cell anemia, with fewer side effects than other drugs currently used.

Causing cancer

Depression

Finasteride is the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostate hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia. The 5alpha-reductase is enzyme responsible for the reduction of testosterone to dihydrostestosterone, progesterone to dihydroprogesterone an …

Castrate effects on rats and humans

Causing erectile dysfunction

Suicide

Health Watch: Popular Drug Warninghttp://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/05/03/health-watch-popular-drug-warning/May 3, 2011 -- PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A grievi...

Comment

• GreatSage
          • Sep 2011

Did he say you could go ahead with the treatment at the age of 23?

Comment

• p0ckets02
            • Oct 2011

He told me that I am a solid candidate for a HT. One session of 1500 grafts on the top, and another session one month late of 1000 grafts in the front. I want the whole procedure done in one shot. He declined saying that he would like to do it in 2 sessions so that he may give strong attention to the front and back.

On top of everything, he made it clear that hair transplants are not for everyone, and that my expectations will determine whether or not he will go through with it. He examined my scalp by eye, with a comb, and mirror to let me show him what I want and what he could do.

From all of my research, and knowing my hair like I do, I feel that if I start a regiment of propecia, along with the Nisim, AND the hair max low laser therapy, then my hair loss will at the very least stop. Any regrowth would be welcome, of course, but at my stage of hair loss, I don't feel any natural regrowth will do anything. So propecia is a step I am willing to take, despite the risks.

My big question was whether or not the transplanted hair would match the density of the remaining strong band of hair I have left on the mid-front of my head, just behind my hair line. He said "Very close to, at least."

I'm not looking for the hair I had when I was 18, nor the hair line of that age, which was about a good inch lower. I'd like it lowered maybe a 1/4 of a centimeter, and just thick enough so you don't see my scalp clear as day. If I could go back in time 2 years, just when my hairloss started slowing down naturally, and fill in the front a TINY bit, I would be happy.

I don't believe that full coverage is possible. I'm not expecting that.

I'm really grateful for your responses, guys. Anything more would be awesome -- this is helping. Please, what do you guys think?

***EDIT***

I know that 23 years old with a Norwood IV-V is a high-risk situation... but if that 23 yr old can stop the excessive shedding of hairs by using an FDA approved drug (Propecia), LLL with a HairMax comb, changing his diet (which I have done and racking in the benefits, after years of a college diet of wings, beer, cigarettes, and pizza primarily), quitting smoking, and has modest expectations of the transplant... despite the age, is he (me) a good candidate?

Comment

• DAVE52
              • Sep 2010

He told me that I am a solid candidate for a HT. One session of 1500 grafts on the top, and another session one month late of 1000 grafts in the front.
              I m not a doctor so hopefully others can add their thoughts but wouldn't the strip from the first surgery not be fully healed after only 1 month.

Wouldn't their be some risk of stretching the first scar if it isn't properly healed ?

Comment

• p0ckets02
                • Oct 2011

I was told the earliest the next session could be was one month after the first. I want it all done in one shot so that the problems with the scarring can be as minimal as possible.

Comment

• p0ckets02
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DAVE52
                  Nope Never heard of the Dr.
                  Be careful all doctor's show pics of their best results
                  Aslk if you can speak to someon who has had work done and see first hand

But my best advice would be to buzz it off and get used to it - iy will save you a ton of $, anxiety , stress for the remainder of your life
                  Buzzing it off, or sucking it up, or getting used to it just isn't an option. I WISH I could simply get over, and lose the worrying. After flicking just about every mental switch I possess, AND going to therapy, I've concluded that this is the route I am prepared to go. I don't really see another viable option at this point.

I've even concluded that what other people see, especially with the routine I do to conceal my MPB, isn't so bad. I know that others don't look at me funny because of my balding, and I'm not losing any of my friends or loved ones because of it... I just can't stand it anymore. For a lot of reasons.

Comment

• PayDay
                    • Nov 2008

I've been listening to Spencer Kobren's show for years and I have heard him say good things about Dr. Law on more than one occasion. I'm pretty sure he is an IAHRS doctor so at least you know he's good. There are quite a few IAHRS doctors in New York, you should see what they have to say too before taking the plunge. Law might just be the right doctor for you but it doesn't hurt to get other opinions.

Comment

• DAVE52
                      • Sep 2010

Buzzing it off, or sucking it up, or getting used to it just isn't an option. I WISH I could simply get over, and lose the worrying. After flicking just about every mental switch I possess, AND going to therapy, I've concluded that this is the route I am prepared to go. .
                      I wish I could too
                      Been there ( therapy, depression meds ) done that ( 1 HT ) still paying for it to this day
                      Not a day goes by that I don't wish I had the mental fortitude to just buzz it and live life
                      I don't know how much life ive lost because of this BS ....always on my mind
                      Good luck in whatever you choose

We advise waiting at least 8 months between hair transplant sessions. Click to read a full description of why...

We advise waiting at least 8 months between sessions with 10-12 months being ideal so that the grafts of the second session can be evenly distributed among the grafts of the first.

Comment

• ParraPhil
                        • Sep 2011

Numbers of grafts

Also, the numbers of grafts don't stack up.

If anything he will most likely need:

- Front 1/3 = 3,000 grafts
                        - Mid Scalp = 2,500 grafts

And then add in another 2,000 grafts when the crown falls out in 5 years time.

1,500 and 1,000 grafts will be a very thin job.

Comment

• mattj
                          Doctor Representative
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ParraPhil

1,500 and 1,000 grafts will be a very thin job.
                          Agreed. The density resulting from those numbers won't come close to matching remaining strong areas of hair. Not on a Norwood 5.

Splitting an already far from massive strip procedure into two separate sessions doesn't make sense either.
                          I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

Working...