+ Reply to Thread

Default Need suggestions - pics attached

Hello everyone
    The attached pics denote the current state of my hairloss
    I have been loosing hair for about 10 years now and am considering a Hair Transplant sometime early next year.

I will turn 28 jan 2012 and am currently using Rogaine which has reduced the hair loss rate.

Also I plan to start Propecia soon.

I would request people to share their opinion on the following questions:

1) Does having a HT make sense for the hair loss at my age considering further Hair loss as age passes ?

2) Since my hairloss is of diffused pattern .. I dont hv any part of the scalp which is majorly damages as such. The part that is obviously bothering me is my Hairline which is receding gradually and also makes the scalp visible ..
    Its very deppresing when people look at your hair while talking to you.

Based on an online consultation which I received - I was suggested a HT of 4K grafts. I went thru some people who had a 4k transplant done .. & I am not convinced that I would actually need that much donor hair to be transplanted.

Can someone suggest what would it take to get dense hairline & frontal third of my scalp some good amount of hair ?

Thanks for your time
    Vin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 25 20.57.jpg

Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	11825   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 28 21.49.jpg

Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	11826   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 28 21.50.jpg

Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	11827   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 25 21.01.jpg

Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	11828   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg

Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	11829   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg

Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	11830  

You need about 6000 grafts to achieve fairly decent coverage -realistic expectations, remember- and that is assuming it all grows out fine. Look into some Toppik for fixin' up the appearance at very low cost

What area was the suggested number of grafts going to cover?

You seem to have (from what I can tell from the photos and not speaking as a doctor) good, thick donor supply. Your diffuse loss is quite extensive and 4000 grafts seems like the amount you'd need to address most of the balding area. I suspect that it wouldn't cover your crown as well.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi mattj
    Thanks for your assessment.
    The 4K grafts are to restore the hairline & the diffused pattern of hair.
    I had requested for dense packing as my expectation for the hair line as well as the mid scalp area.

That is basically asking to restore a full head of hair. Does the 4K figure justify ?

I have another question.

1) If I do a HT now to restore a full head of hair ... I am assuming that the hair that I currently have will continue to shed gradually as my age progresses. No assuming that the transplanted hair would remain unharmed .. I will gradually be progressing to a diffused pattern of hair again.
    This means I need to do future HT also ?

2) How about if I use propecia .. is it possible that I would never need any future HT ?

3) Finally, how many more donor hair I would have if I use up 4K grafts now ?

If you could give me a realistic idea of what to expect .. I would be really grateful.
    Thanks for your time.
    Vin

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    What area was the suggested number of grafts going to cover?

You seem to have (from what I can tell from the photos and not speaking as a doctor) good, thick donor supply. Your diffuse loss is quite extensive and 4000 grafts seems like the amount you'd need to address most of the balding area. I suspect that it wouldn't cover your crown as well.

Vin,
    For question #1 the answer is basically yes.

2). Can't say "never" but a lot of guys have long term success on the treatment. If you respond well then the chances of at least suspending the need for further work are good.

3). The average donor area will supply around 8000 grafts in total.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Vin,

Welcome to the world of hairloss communication

My advice initially would be get on Finasteride 1mg ie Propecia but look into either getting on Finpecia or Proscar as EXACTLY the same drug and much much cheaper. ( i personally take 1mg generic finpecia)

Stay on this for minimum of 8-12 months initially and then consider a HT and not before hand. Get your loss under control and also use this time to see potential benefits from the meds as often people respond very well especially in situations like yours. You may well eliminate the need or desire for a HT as may well thicken up significantly.

The key to a successful HT is preventing further loss of native hair. The more hair you can maintain the fewer HT's you will require

Hair loss is progressive - you will definitely loose more hair over time otherwise and chase your tail so to speak.

If a builder intends to build a high strong wall to stand the test of time he must build it on a strong foundation.

Hopefully you see where I am going with this. Do not rush in mate and take your time - you are in a safe place here to obtain info and facts regarding HT's so rest assured, sit back read and RESEARCH!

Lets say you stabilise your loss via meds and do not improve at all ( which i would be very surprised about especially in the mid/crown sections) then i think a 3500 -4000 graft session would enable you to reach your goal.

See "TUBS" as an approx example here 3500+ strip session pre op and 12 months post op : https://www.youtube.com/user/SSPEXX#p/u/25/HEEXhgWXd_E

Best Regards
    Spex
    Last edited by Spex; 10-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Spex,
    I have gone thru various posts .. and I completely believe that you have contributed great posts with valuable information to potential HT patients.

I want to share my follow-up on my concern with hair loss.

Before posting to this forum .. i had done a preliminary research .. and I had shortlisted a few surgeons for my HT.

I met Mike Ferko on the 6th of Nov 2011 in Seattle (as H&W were my top priority doctors). I met a bunch of previous H&W patients .. and I was quite amazed with their results. I couldn't believe that a surgery could yield such results.
    Regarding Mike Ferko ... he is a very straight forward guy .. and he will clearly tell you whether you are eligible for a HT or not. No BS.

I want to point out here is that "Internet is a place where stuff could be posted without any validation or approval. For e.g. If a Pharma company wanted to release a drug in the market .. it has to go thru a FDA approval process .. in which the authenticity of the drug is validated. " However there is no guiding force on the information posted over the Internet .. which sometimes makes it difficult to believe what is posted on the Internet.

Hence I had to fly all the way from the East Coast to Seattle just to install enough confidence to book a surgery.
    I know that I am getting bald due to MPB ... even though I have no family history of MPB.
    And I am satisfied that I did fly to Seattle to see the results in person for myself.

Now, I have booked a surgery on the 19th of Dec 2011 with H&W and am eagerly waiting for it.

I will continue posting my progress and my experience on this same thread as this forum as helped me in quite some ways during my preliminary research.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact.

Thanks
    Vin
    vin_creamlad@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Vin,

Welcome to the world of hairloss communication

My advice initially would be get on Finasteride 1mg ie Propecia but look into either getting on Finpecia or Proscar as EXACTLY the same drug and much much cheaper. ( i personally take 1mg generic finpecia)

Stay on this for minimum of 8-12 months initially and then consider a HT and not before hand. Get your loss under control and also use this time to see potential benefits from the meds as often people respond very well especially in situations like yours. You may well eliminate the need or desire for a HT as may well thicken up significantly.

The key to a successful HT is preventing further loss of native hair. The more hair you can maintain the fewer HT's you will require

Hair loss is progressive - you will definitely loose more hair over time otherwise and chase your tail so to speak.

If a builder intends to build a high strong wall to stand the test of time he must build it on a strong foundation.

Hopefully you see where I am going with this. Do not rush in mate and take your time - you are in a safe place here to obtain info and facts regarding HT's so rest assured, sit back read and RESEARCH!

Lets say you stabilise your loss via meds and do not improve at all ( which i would be very surprised about especially in the mid/crown sections) then i think a 3500 -4000 graft session would enable you to reach your goal.

See "TUBS" as an approx example here 3500+ strip session pre op and 12 months post op : https://www.youtube.com/user/SSPEXX#p/u/25/HEEXhgWXd_E

Best Regards
    Spex

If you can afford one why not?