+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice please

Default advice please

Unfortunetly my family has a history of baldness on my mothers side and I am only 20 soon to be 21 and I have noticed hair loss recently. It became a bit of an issue and subsequently an obession around 3-4 months ago with me taking photos of my crown almost constantly.

I went to see Ashley and Martin which is basically like an Advanced Hair Studies of the UK in Australia and the guy was a tosser and basically just a sales person using scare tactics saying i would be bald in a few months when my hair loss isn't even really noticeable atm so im not going to them..

Well anyways about a month or so ago I got a 6 month supply of Kirkland 5% minoxidil and I have been taking Finasteride (propecia) for a little over a week. I know you can expect to see some initial shedding but what is happening is weird... Everytime I run my fingers through my hair there will be a couple of strands that come out and it seems that the hair loss on the crown is subsiding but now it has started losing from the front at a fast rate.. which if anything is worse

I have always had thin hair and it has always grown really fast, like i got a hair cut short about a month ago and i think i'll probably be needing another in a month or so (medium length i'll cut it)

So to wrap it up i have the minoxidil twice a day and i put a few drops on my crown in the middle and at the hair line and the propecia pill once a day.. I would love some advice, such as is it strange that hair has basically stopped falling out in the back and now it has started in the front (maybe i dont notice as much at the back)... would it be beneficial to shave my head to combat the shedding phase etc any help would be appreciated

just to add to this.. do you think the products I am using is a good option?

is there anything I can do? is it normal for increased hair loss, it just seems like your defeated and its hard to keep taking the stuff when you only see it getting worse

This is obviously very important to me, i see being bald as being bad but something I can live with.. but just not at my age! you hear of stories of propecia working for 10 years.. i hope so badly that i can be one of those cases

Quote Originally Posted by sam555 View Post
    ...would it be beneficial to shave my head to combat the shedding phase etc any help would be appreciated
    I buzzed my hair off when I started treating my hair loss. It was an even more traumatic experience than the hair loss itself. But that's just me. It did make treatment easier though.

Quote Originally Posted by sam555 View Post
    just to add to this.. do you think the products I am using is a good option?
    Basically, Minoxidil and Finasteride are the only medications that actually work for males. The laser comb works for some people but not everyone. I use Minoxidil and the laser comb. They have been working for me. If your hair loss pattern and skin type matches what the laser comb is supposed to work for, you might want to give it a try. I also feel using Nizoral shampoo twice per week helps Minoxidil work better. Just make sure to use a good quality moisturizing conditioner as well if you chose to use Nizoral.

It is my feeling that hair replacement systems are an absolute last resort - if all else fails. If a person's hair loss is well beyond what can be resolved with medical treatment such as Norwood 6 & 7 and Ludwig III or worse, then hair replacement is really the only option.

I do think wigs are O.K. while treating hair loss though - because since they are not permanently attached, they do not interfere or prevent treatment. I have a few very nice wigs myself.

Sam,

I wouldn't bother using minoxidil

For me Propecia works... I Have been taking it for a little over 7 months. As you mention when I started , every time I ran my fingers across my scalp a few strands(5 to 6) of hair would show up in my palm. I would then stand in front of the sink and run my hands vigorously over my scalp, and atleast 15 - 20 strands of hair would shed... Obviously my hair was very thin and in a very bad state

7 months into Propecia, as I write this, I ran my fingers across my scalp and in the first 2 occasions no hair was shed.. On the 3rd attempt 1 strand of hair showed up on my palm.... Obviously my hair has grown slightly thicker and stronger... I don't think new hair has grown (so my hairline stays the way it is right now), but the existing hair has become stronger and thicker.. The thickness gives a fuller look..

Ditch minoxidil and go with propecia only... also applying minoxidil twice a day is harassing/smelly/and publishing to the world that you apply it.... In my case I just pop a pill and nobody ever gets to know that I'm on medication for hairloss.

Hope this helps,

Cheers ,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael85 View Post
    I wouldn't bother using minoxidil.
    A man's best chance of arresting his hair loss and growing some hair back is to use both Finasteride and Minoxidil. Shedding can happen with Propecia just as much as it can with Minoxidil. I am happy for you that shedding hasn't happen to you from Propecia yet. However, the information from Merk states that shedding can happen for people who use Propecia.

Shedding is normal part of treating hair loss. Because shedding is a normal part of treating hair loss, both Propecia and Rogaine can cause shedding. Shedding is an indication that a treatment is working. To stop a treatment because of shedding is a mistake. When the shedding stops, the regrowth starts. Talk to a doctor who has experience in treating hair loss. He or she will tell you the exact same thing I just did.

Many men and women use Rogaine foam in the morning and generic Minoxidil liquid in the evening. This makes morning grooming easier and no one knows you are treating your hair loss. It also saves some money.

Quote Originally Posted by michael85 View Post
    Sam,

I wouldn't bother using minoxidil

For me Propecia works... I Have been taking it for a little over 7 months. As you mention when I started , every time I ran my fingers across my scalp a few strands(5 to 6) of hair would show up in my palm. I would then stand in front of the sink and run my hands vigorously over my scalp, and atleast 15 - 20 strands of hair would shed... Obviously my hair was very thin and in a very bad state

7 months into Propecia, as I write this, I ran my fingers across my scalp and in the first 2 occasions no hair was shed.. On the 3rd attempt 1 strand of hair showed up on my palm.... Obviously my hair has grown slightly thicker and stronger... I don't think new hair has grown (so my hairline stays the way it is right now), but the existing hair has become stronger and thicker.. The thickness gives a fuller look..

Ditch minoxidil and go with propecia only... also applying minoxidil twice a day is harassing/smelly/and publishing to the world that you apply it.... In my case I just pop a pill and nobody ever gets to know that I'm on medication for hairloss.

Hope this helps,

Cheers ,
    Michael
    Bad advice. How can you say "ditch the minox" ? Do you know that at least for some of us Minox works better than Fin ? I can say at least in my case Minox has worked better than Fin. I'm starting to think it's the Minox that's been working for all those years and not Fin. Every time I stop Minox I shed like crazy.Yes, it's a pain in the neck to use and irritates the hell out of my scalp and it is greasy and all that shit bit it does work for many of us. If the guy is sure he's not benefiting from Minox then yeah, he can ditch it but not until he's 100% sure.